ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ph1 172 not starting

Clio 172 Cup
Hey all,
Just putting this post on for my brother as he isn't in the house at the moment and his car won't start. Clio ph1 172

Basically when turning the key in the ignition the car is not turning over at all, the clocks and the lights on the dash are coming on but the engine isn't even attempting to turn over.

He has had this problem before and it always seems to be when its raining or its very damp. It seems to work again after an hour (maybe dried out)

Just thought i would put this post on here to see if anyone has an idea as to where to start looking to resolve the problem

Many Thanks

Ph1 172, Leon cupra
Starter motor connection,i would guess! Little thin gauge wire,connects to starter solenoid on a spade connection.
If all your headlights work and dash lights up etc,then itll be that. Had same problem with mine.. every so often it wouldn't turn over but battery was ok.I was about to buy a new starter motor but first took off the wires,cleaned and copper greased the connections.....been fine since.
Tricky to get at,needs to be tackled from underneath,and above in the engine bay!

Clio 172 Cup
I have now got the description of the problem from the horses mouth :-

"I can't see it being battery as engine turns over ok .
First time it happend was in germany stalled engine and then it would turn over but not fire up so we had to get a mobile mechanic out and all he did was lock the car unlock it then turned the key till the ignition lights came on (he repeated this 3 times with the ignition) and then the car car started straight away , the recovery man couldn't speak english but pointed at the alarm sticker indicating that was the problem. Since then its failed to start on a couple of occasions usually when damp. We have tried his method with the ignition which seems hit and miss, sometimes just leaving it for a while seems to resolve the problem."

This may clarify it a bit further.

Ph1 172, Leon cupra
Sounds like alarm/immobiliser problem then. I have no idea about how that works! sorry dude

Vw caddy tdi
I have exactly the same problem if I move the main bulk of loom/wire that goes into the starter motor ever so slightly hey presto it starts straight away, but like yours when its foggy it wont . I think like lewvr6 says could be the exciter wire/connection corroded or the possitive battery terminal instead of starter? Possibe its same on yours? Not looking forward the removing connectios to clean..

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182
when you turn ignition does the fuel pump prime? have you tryed bump starting it?

chances are it will be either a poor connection onto the starter motor or faulty starter motor.

ta
carl

Ph1
Going by the topic starter question, if the car wont turn over what so ever ie, turn the key and nothing happens, bang the starter with a iron bar etc. Its most likely a sticking solenoid (sp)

Your updated post further down:

Try the spare key if you have one. Also does the immobiliser light flash 100 to the dozen?