ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ph1 172 Track Car. Next Year I Go Racing - Hopefully!

Just a small update, I have relocated the air intake for the charger to behind the headlight.

I was getting power dropping off at Thruxton after a few laps because of rising inlet temps. Not surprising really as the filter was directly behind the rad!

The way the car is mapped it backs off the timing slightly if the inlet temps get to high in order to protect the engine, this makes it loose a few bhp. Hopefully this should help a bit.

szxvy9.jpg

New air intake finished with cold air feed through headlight blank, new larger aluminium radiator fitted as well. These 2 together should help with the cooling issue.

2a68b50.jpg

wisdb8.jpg

Also new rear plate so now everyone one will know who is in front of them! Or more likely who they just passed :smile:

19m5c5.jpg

Silverstone in just over a week and it's looking like a good grid. Also another mystery clio in class G apparently....... So should be good fun.

No more done to the car really other than a spanner check, might give it a little clean before the weekend if I get chance.

Yesterdays project was a little 12v jeep for my 4 year old nephew. It only cost me a few quid as it wasn't working, I fixed it, gave it a clean and also put some personalised plates and a spare TARC sticker I had on the front for him.

1z1b3og.jpg

2rgerz9.jpg

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Good write up James.
I hadn't been there before either lol.
The grass is slippy.

LOL Thruxton is a funny place to go off, it feels like you can literally slide in to another county !

A lot more bumpy than it looks as well (the grass).

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
Looks awesome! Inside looks incredicable.

Are you still using the intank pump? I'm looking and buying pieces to add a swirl pot, yours looks a really tidy install.

Looks awesome! Inside looks incredicable.

Are you still using the intank pump? I'm looking and buying pieces to add a swirl pot, yours looks a really tidy install.

Cheers mate.

Yes still using the in tank pump that feeds the swirl pot. The swirl pot then feeds to an external bosch 044 pump and filter. It is all enclosed in the spare wheel well to comply with the MSA regs.

Last edited:

scotiamr2t

ClioSport Club Member
  Mazda 2, Ph1 172
Cheers. It's a custom cage, built to comply with msa blue book regs and a bit beyond. It's tied into the shell at the A and B pillars as well.

Thanks for th reply, looks well fitting hence me asking as I've seen some cages an the fit for the A an B pillars is horrible.

Race Report Tricolore Trophy Silverstone National 15th August 2015

Qualifying

The less said about quali the better!

Having not driven Silverstone since last year I was looking forward to getting a few laps under my belt, but the car had other ideas.

The car just died after half a lap while I was just warming up. Turned out the fuel connector to the rail had popped off! This was all a bit dramatic as when I pulled off the circuit I naturally tried to restart the car, the marshals came running over waving their arms and shouting fuel leak! They pulled my electrical cut off pull cord and that was that, quali over and no time set! We towed the car back to the scrutineering bay, confirmed the fault, fixed it, and they were happy I could go out again if the clark of the course agreed.

So I wandered over to race control and had a chat to the clark. He said as I had raced at Silverstone once before they were happy for me to race, but I would have to start at the very back of the grid!

Race 1

So I started at the very back, 30th place I think.

What a first lap I had, not sure how many cars I passed but it was quite a few, then the safety car came out. I had a car overtake me under safety car conditions that I had just passed before hand, so I reclaimed that place straight away. Having watched the video back the safety car board did just flick out a split second before I passed it and I just didn't see it, so technically I passed him illegally first and I hold my hand up to that one. The safety car was out for quite a while, 3 laps I think. After the restart Sonny decided to spin off in front of me which, was nice of him. So I tried to aim for where he was spinning thinking he wouldn't be there when I got there, and luckily he wasn't.

Then I started having problems. The car was just overheating massively; Oil and water temps were off the scale. Because of this the car just kept loosing power the longer the race went on. It’s the same issue I was having at Thruxton but was even worse this time. Very strange considering I have fitted an up rated rad as well now.

My oil gauge goes up to 150 degrees C and it was bottomed out! The factory coolant gauge needle was also buried in the red! I think I was probably down a good 30bhp by the end of the race. If you listen to the video at the end you can hear my oil temp alarm going off. This did not bode well for race 2…..

Cooling issues aside though what a race. I went form 30th to 6th in one race! Don’t think I will forget that for a while. Also picked up a 1st in class trophy.

Race 2

I got a pretty bad start spinning the wheels in first and second, but this was also a really good race. I had a good battle with Tony and Andrew Mitchell. Tony did give me a little tap at one point but it was nothing really and he did apologise after the race.

However I had cooling issues right from the off again and I was just loosing power throughout the race. Again both oil and coolant gauges were off the scale, they didn’t even come down on the cool down lap. My oil temp alarm was still beeping when I got back to the pits!

Coolant had boiled out all over the engine bay as well. I really need to get this sorted before the next race.

I did make it up to 4th at one point, and I tried to defend against Tony and Andrew but with the back markers getting in the way and my overheating problems it was a tough challenge and they both made it back past in the end.

So I started 6th and finished 6th overall, and 1st in class again.

Summary

I need to seriously address the cooling issues with the car but overall a great weekend. I had an epic first race making up 24 places, and a really good second race managing to retain my position despite carrying an engine issue. Some good close racing, very close at times, and I even managed to bag the very last burger at the bbq.

Last edited:
  WRX
Nice one James, certainly caught me by surprise with how quickly you caught up. You could have quartered the burger!

Your car was going like a rocket James, sorry to hear about your woes in quali, and thanks for nipping past while I was facing sidewards

Yeah early on for the first couple of laps it was great, engine felt awesome. Then is just got hotter and hotter and lost more and more power.

I'm going to need to look at it and address the issue before the next race.

182cup & 172 racecar
Clarkey's Tracy, had to go to Tescos and get some food for us, we ate back at the van.

Pi55 poor in my view.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
No idea, I didn't data log the session, I do have a good cold air inlet now though.

It's just that the engine is just producing more heat than the current cooling system can get rid of.
The thing is though that there are Clio turbos used on track which will be hotter on the IAT side of things and therefore put more heat into the engine but have no issues.

That's why I'm asking about the IAT, because then you will at least know how much heat is going in. If they aren't that high then it's another issue.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Have you checked the thermostat? Sounds stupid but it's sometimes easy to overlook the simple things. Also I'd consider putting a shroud around the rad to duct the air through the rad. Otherwise it'll just spill around it as it takes the path of least resistance.

Bigash had similar cooling issues with his, but at the time he wasn't running a stat so the engine was just one big kettle effectively. He fitted a stat and shrouded the rad on my recommendation and he didn't have issues again.