ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ph1 Clio Grande won't start, tried a few things.....

My clio won't start at all now, it's a W reg, 1.2 and just hit 80k.

It started on Friday last week, came out of work and the car wouldn't start. When you turn the key to start the engine nothing would happen other than it would click every so often. If you tried repeatedly to start it then eventually it would. Now the car won't start at all, you turn the key and nothing happens, not even an intermittant click like before. Everything else electrically works fine, lights etc don't dim when trying to start the car.

So far I've.....

Replaced the starter motor with a brand new one.
Replaced the battery with a brand new one last year which fixed a previous difficult starting issue.
Checked all the fuses.
Checked the immobiliser light goes off when starting the car.
I WAS going to replace the crank position sensor but I didn't realise there was also a modified loom to install.

Really need to get it sorted soon, my other half is having to use my 335i to get to work (100 mile round trip) and the fuel costs is crippling me!!

It is booked into a garage but trying to get some ideas to present them with.

boomerbang2006

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172,2001
Ok i had a w reg 1.2 before i bought my current car and i had this problem its either the battery in the fob,thats not too bad to replace or its the immobiliser thats playing up,that was when i got rid of mine,just was praying when i part xed it,please start.

tdc sensor is a common fault on them. Symptoms are the engine turning but not firing.
Easy fix with the new loom. All you need to do is cut the wires after the connector and solder the new wires on and then connect up the new sensor.

Also try replacing the battery in the fob

Battery in the fob is brand new :S

If it was an immobilizer problem would the light on the dash not stay on? That was what I had read before. Can you bypass the immobilizer?

tdc sensor is a common fault on them. Symptoms are the engine turning but not firing.
Easy fix with the new loom. All you need to do is cut the wires after the connector and solder the new wires on and then connect up the new sensor.

Also try replacing the battery in the fob

TDC must be fine as the engine isn't even turning :mad:

Renault Clio 1.2
I thought the battery in the remote was just for the remote central locking?? I have a similar starting problem and the light does not light up on my key. I just noticed but the remote locking did not work anyway.

Nimbus 197, Ph1 172
Yeah, battery in the fob is usually just for central locking. There is a small chip in the car that allows it to start. Have you checked for a start signal to the starter motor? May explain all dash lights etc working, but no cranking.

Megane dci 130
Wiggle the solenoid wire on the starter. Remove it, see if its green. If it is, replace it. Check your main engine earths. Mainly the one from the gearbox to the chassis.

It's at the garage now, pretty weird issues. RAC came out and we tried to bump start it, as soon as you pulled the clutch out the car just ground to a halt?!