ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ph1: Decat - silenced - management light

Octavia vRS tfsi
My ph1 passed it's NCT yesterday (Irish version of an MOT) having previously failed for emissions. It now has a clean bill of health until it's re-test in April 2011. My cat though, needs changing. The baffles inside are broken/loose and are rattling.

I'm looking at either a replacement second-hand cat or a decat. Preferably a decat seeing as it won't need to be removed for nearly two years. I'm after the gains, but not the noise. Current system on the car is the standard manifold/standard cat/k-tec stealth. I expect that the unsilenced decat will add a lot of volume ... how well does the k-tec silenced decat work?

I assume there will be no issues with an engine management light in a ph1 as there is only one pre-cat lamda?

Ian

* would love to compare audio clips of the silenced/unsilenced decats if anyone can provide?

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Silenced imo is a total gimmic, here is my car with a silenced de-cat, it was SO loud with a custom stainless stealth system and I know for a fact with a K-tec stealth it will be boomy on motorway trips. Sounds epic though :D

th_Greeny172.gif

Octavia vRS tfsi
Anyone else care to venture an opinion on a silenced/non-silenced decat before I put the order through tomorrow?

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
My non silenced decatted Ph1 K-tec Stealth is fine on motorways. Sitting at 70 under no load is as quiet as any normal car..

Give it hell at any speed, and it's loud ! Sounds awesome (IMO + friends that have been in car next to me on dual carriageways) under load over 4k !!

No videos tho' .. sorry :)

haven't tried the silenced one but have had the straight pipe into the same exhaust as yours and, tbh, the slight gains didn't justify the din for me

sure you're aware, but the cat's so effective at silencing as it's not straight-through, whereas the silenced decat is; it's also a pretty small box, so wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't much quieter than a straight pipe

i'd say, if you're at all worried about noise, go straight for another cat

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
haven't tried the silenced one but have had the straight pipe into the same exhaust as yours and, tbh, the slight gains didn't justify the din for me

sure you're aware, but the cat's so effective at silencing as it's not straight-through, whereas the silenced decat is; it's also a pretty small box, so wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't much quieter than a straight pipe

i'd say, if you're at all worried about noise, go straight for another cat

Speaks the truth and yes mine was a K-tec

Octavia vRS tfsi
I priced a new cat from Renault Ireland - almost €900! So it's second hand cat or de-cat are my options. It's a shame that there are no audio/video clips of the unsilenced or with the combination that I will have on the car.

If there was negligible difference between the two sound wise I would save some cash and get the straight pipe - as it stands I see myself buying the silenced version. If it turns out a lemon volume wise with everyday use I'll sell and pick up a second hand OEM replacement.

Octavia vRS tfsi
Considered it Brett but it's too expensive. 2nd hand cat delivered I'm looking at probably 100stg, while the de-cat as part of a larger order is 125stg.

Ph1
Silenced imo is a total gimmic, here is my car with a silenced de-cat, it was SO loud with a custom stainless stealth system and I know for a fact with a K-tec stealth it will be boomy on motorway trips. Sounds epic though :D

th_Greeny172.gif

Ask folk who have removed centre exhaust system silences and see if it made any difference. Theres your answer to the gimmic thing ;)

Mini JCW
I have a silenced decat coupled with piper catback system on a ph2 cup, impressed with it as it seems to 'free' up the revs but the overall volume hasn't really increased at all (going from the standard cat).

Octavia vRS tfsi
One last Q - about to put the order through just now. I obviously have a late model ph1 as a quick glance underneath just now has shown a lambda post-cat. Will the de-cat cause the dashboard to light up? Can anything be done to prevent it?

Answers on a postcard please

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
I have a silenced decat coupled with piper catback system on a ph2 cup, impressed with it as it seems to 'free' up the revs but the overall volume hasn't really increased at all (going from the standard cat).

wtf, mine doubled!!

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
One last Q - about to put the order through just now. I obviously have a late model ph1 as a quick glance underneath just now has shown a lambda post-cat. Will the de-cat cause the dashboard to light up? Can anything be done to prevent it?

Mine didnt light up after 3 months use before I sold it.

Mini JCW

Not really, the EM light appeared on mine after a couple hundred miles, but its not affected performance in any way.

If you hate it that much - put tape over the dash / light - job done:rasp:

Octavia vRS tfsi
All ordered and winging it's way to the emerald isle.

Front dampers, sportlines, ITG filter, silenced decat, centre exhaust hanger :) I'll just have to live with the EM light on if it comes on in the ph1. A good days shopping complete!