ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ph1 driveshaft wishbone subframe dilemma

JoeDavies

ClioSport Club Member
Hello, I have had a search on the forum and looked at various threads but would like someone with the knowledge just to give me a full answer.
As ph1 driveshafts are difficult to obtain decent ones, I have seen a thread where it lists some options, but says the closed length is 734, and I think it was the skf one stating 740 I'm just about done with it 🤦‍♂️

What are my options on changing shaft length to later models that you can get shafts for easier and what's the best route.
Basically what do i need to buy?
182 subframe and wishbones? Then I would increase the caster as well I believe as well as the track with?
Also which variant came with the two piece shaft including a bearing carrier? What's needed to convert to this?
Thanks

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
You can run a ph2 subframe on a ph1 and vice versa. You’ll only really run into issues if you run a gripper lsd, as the shaft will bottom out in the drivecup of the diff.
Mark is there any easy way to spot the difference between the 2?

JoeDavies

ClioSport Club Member
yeah they all had the same wishbone then except the 172 cup. I think the 182’s had cup spec wishbones as well, but as they’re NLA it makes no odds lol
Okay perfect, what comes with a bearing carrier etc on the long shaft? If I'm changing the subframe and shafts, is this worth doing? Presume it'll bolt onto my block or wherever it goes