ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ph1 modds - gdi or awt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
  Vw caddy tdi
Would like some opinions from a point of view on service, cost and bhp torque gains respectivly. Also where would you take ur 172 why. Already have itg pannel filter, sports cat + stealth exh. looking to get inlet/plenham match and standard ecu remap, with cams at same time or at a later date?. Just not sure where to take the car? I obviously would like the best bhp and torque increase I can get for the money I want quality work done also. I wont be taking the engine modds any further in the future as its my daily drive but would like to improve on standard as much as I can, even break the 200hp 190lb/ft mark if at all possible opinions and experiences welcome pls...

clio 200 F4Rt
GDI - good, friendly, reliable service. plus will give you sound advice for what you want to achieve in the long term.

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
GDI - fast efficient, friendly service with no messing about, good knowlage with a great team who will bend over backwards to get things how you want them

Mk4 .:R32
GDI - fast efficient, friendly service with no messing about, good knowlage with a great team who will bend over backwards to get things how you want them

aye! what taylor said. If you ask nicely, mark might bend over forwards too!

Top notch when doing my exhaust, did it quickly and made sure it was all perfect before letting me leave! They need a new toilet though.

williams 2
Good choice on engine spec. The only point i can advise you on is if you want cams get them done at the same time, if not you'll end up paying out on 2 remaps as they are quite differant for obvious reasons..

Weve done a good few of these now and have acheived a good avg of 195bhp.

We now keep all parts in stock and can be turned around in 1 day, while you wait if you wish! :D

the kit is £1550 fitted and can be nicely finished off in any colour you wish too. Black and silver is always a good combo....

I've been to both and given both money in the past and I'd not touch AWT again... basically you'd only go there once then put it down to experience.

williams 2

aye! what taylor said. If you ask nicely, mark might bend over forwards too!

typical, thanks mate lol :rasp:

Edit.. actually not that way inclined but if ste wishes to think that then ill let him feel free!! Selling the flame beast next year at all??

yup, had cams at AWT... would give the full list of bits, but I never got them and they were never put on, but that's not what he asked, so refrain from hijack and getting another thread removed please Mark. I've kept my comments relevent, I suggest you do the same.

Ad

MK2 FRS
tbh this has been covered too many times.

For technical knowledge and expertise then we all know AWT are untouchable.

yup, had cams at AWT... would give the full list of bits, but I never got them and they were never put on, but that's not what he asked, so refrain from hijack and getting another thread removed please Mark. I've kept my comments relevent, I suggest you do the same.

He asked for people to comment based on past experiences. Looking at the people who have replied so far you are the only one qualified to pass comment.

My question is valid is it not?

or more accurately no one understands the tech jargon, therefore no one questions it and assumes it's correct. opinion and fact are not the same thing.

Ad

MK2 FRS

or more accurately no one understands the tech jargon, therefore no one questions it and assumes it's correct. opinion and fact are not the same thing.

Im not arguing with you as I dont really care...:rasp: You know what your saying isnt true, its not all based on "tech jarogon" expierence counts for a lot.

Im not arguing with you as I dont really care...:rasp: You know what your saying isnt true, its not all based on "tech jarogon" expierence counts for a lot.

Fair enough Ad, it's your opinion, I just found a lot of what was said to be not only slightly inaccurate, but totally untrue in some cases.
And experience does count for a lot... mine was an expensive experience, so imo use GDI lol ;)

Speak for yourself.....

An impartial view on this would be to go to both companies and speak to them face to face.

Ben (AWT) has some nice DTH bodies designed in house which in terms of quality wipe the floor with the Jenvey offering (which GDI would fit).

AWT are currently building ben_p supercharged F4R which on paper will be the most powerful F4R ever built.

AWT are currently building a 1.6 clio engine with custom inlet manifold designed in house which I believe shoud be 100bhp/litre.

I have used GDI for a 3.5k cams and standalone management conversion, based mainly around mapping issues I wont be going back there.

Clio v6
Has anyone who has replied so far had any major engine work done by either of these companies?

Yes my wee car has had major work done by GDI. They are the type of company that provide the high quality of service that I demand. I can most certainly recommend their engine/mechanical skills side of things.

AWT were given some of the tasks to do for my car, but sadly they did absolutely nothing to my car.

From what I read AWT are quite expert in their field, but the lack of anything actually materialising may be a little off putting to some. However, in my experience, they are most certainly not the only company to suffer from inaction.

Last edited:
  clio 200 F4Rt
Some talk the talk, some actually walk the walk!

When was the last time AWT had a glowing report of thier work, and when was the last time GDI did.......? all i know is i cant remember the last time i actually saw some AWT stuff on a car, yet i regulaly hear good reports about GDI.

I myself am having one or two small bits done by them, as after talking and checking out thier setup i was happy to spend my money. And beleive me, thats not easy to do!

Ph1
Would like some opinions from a point of view on service, cost and bhp torque gains respectivly. Also where would you take ur 172 why. Already have itg pannel filter, sports cat + stealth exh. looking to get inlet/plenham match and standard ecu remap, with cams at same time or at a later date?. Just not sure where to take the car? I obviously would like the best bhp and torque increase I can get for the money I want quality work done also. I wont be taking the engine modds any further in the future as its my daily drive but would like to improve on standard as much as I can, even break the 200hp 190lb/ft mark if at all possible opinions and experiences welcome pls...

You wont get the answer your looking for. Two many mixed views and different experiences on the subject ;)

Ben (AWT) has some nice DTH bodies designed in house which in terms of quality wipe the floor with the Jenvey offering (which GDI would fit).

AWT are currently building ben_p supercharged F4R which on paper will be the most powerful F4R ever built.

AWT are currently building a 1.6 clio engine with custom inlet manifold designed in house which I believe shoud be 100bhp/litre.
I'm not for or aginst either company but to be fair whats a 1.6 got to do with a 172 phase 1 nothing different engine abeitly the same type etc but not the same engine and engine hasn't been finished so whats the point in what there building same for the Benp car.

Plus most powerful doens't could for much when there a more powerful one than 400hp out there and one pushing 600hp reputed.

Regards the bodies quality means nothing working of them does.

172, Tiguan
Alex I suggest you give each company a call and ask them to advise you what the best solution to your questions is and make up your own mind from there.

Sadly our members are far to bothered with their own personal fueds and childish one-up-manships to be of a great deal of help to you. Day after day we get genuine questions posted about these two companies and the usual 4 or 5 suspects all feel compelled to hark on about the same old rubbish they've posted 100 times before, which frankly nobody cares about anymore anyway.

I apologise that the club can't help you anymore.

Last edited:

I'm not for or aginst either company but to be fair whats a 1.6 got to do with a 172 phase 1 nothing different engine abeitly the same type etc but not the same engine and engine hasn't been finished so whats the point in what there building same for the Benp car.

Plus most powerful doens't could for much when there a more powerful one than 400hp out there and one pushing 600hp reputed.

Regards the bodies quality means nothing working of them does.

Fair comment.

I cant recommend AWT because I havent used them. I was only stating a few of the projects they are currently working on.

Alex I suggest you give each company a call and ask them to advise you what the best solution to your questions is and make up your own mind from there.

Sadly our members are far to bothered with their own personal fueds and childish one-up-manships to be of a great deal of help to you. Day after day we get genuine questions posted about these two companies and the usual 4 or 5 suspects all feel compelled to hark on about the same old rubbish they've posted 100 times before, which frankly nobody cares about anymore anyway.

I apologise that the club can't help you anymore.

Well said my friend im tired of the arguin now i think Jesus and Mark should meet up and make love. Maybe this would help as it seems they like to argue the most.

To be fair Jesus does bum GDI a little too much. I dont really hear Mark going on about anyone inparticular (i may be wrong though)

Last edited by a moderator:
  Civic Type-R
I have had work done at both companies, used GDI first but they bodged work on my car. Also didnt put things back together correctly, plus other things. Would never use them again.

I now get all the work done on my car at AWT and cant fault them. Would never take my car anywhere else.

Just my experience with both companies.

Clio v6
Yes I my wee car has had major work done by GDI. They are the type of company that provide the high quality of service that I demand. I can most certainly recommend their engine/mechanical skills side of things.

AWT were given some of the tasks to do for my car, but sadly they did absolutely nothing to my car.

From what I read AWT are quite expert in their field, but the lack of anything actually materialising may be a little off putting to some. However, in my experience, they are most certainly not the only company to suffer from inaction.

No fair!

My question was "has anyone who has replied so far".

JR's V6 won the prize for the thickest layer of dust ever to collect on a car. It was about 2 years worth wasnt it?

15 months waiting on inactive companies who simply didn't come up with the goods. :(

While we are being fair! I must of course be honest and remind people that I myself added to many of the delays by asking for more and more things to be done than the car was originally booked in for. :eek:

You may not know that I had my car back at home at least four times while I was waiting for certain companies to get their act together. Sadly they didn't, so GDI stepped in and did it all themselves.

Just goes to show that GDI were in fact quite able to do the jobs they were going to farm out to "experts".

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
I have had work done at both companies, used GDI first but they bodged work on my car. Also didnt put things back together correctly, plus other things. Would never use them again.

I now get all the work done on my car at AWT and cant fault them. Would never take my car anywhere else.

what did you have done stu?

V6 Exige, GTR R35
i'd try a search and read into this fully as others have said.

i have only used the one company and i wouldnt go back there, not gonna mention who or enter into another handbag fight with anyone.

just my 2p's worth

Vw caddy tdi
Many thanks everyone for posting your opinions on this topic. I'm giving my decision conciderable thought and both companies have been contacted by myself about the work I'd like to be carried out. In the New Year I'll be taking the ph1 cli to one of these companies. I only wish to gather as much imformation on both before a final decision is made thankyou.alex

M

mini-valver

I have'nt used GDI so am unable to comment but having used AWT twice now I honestly cou'd'nt see myself going elsewhere. Ben is'nt the fastest man in the world by any means but attention to detail and good results is what you're after I can't recomend him enough.

First time round I just had inlet matching, I work all week and saturdays so he invited me down on a sunday (His day off) to do it. All done quickly, in-expensive and good results. Now I've gone for an extensive build, it's taken time yeah but TBH the way it's coming together and the quality of the work is outstanding....

Take that however you choose!

I have never used either company so take my opinions as you will. I have been around this forum for a a few years and I have read many threads about GDI v. AWT and read threads where the relevant people behind the companies have commented.

So who would I use? I'd take my car to AWT. I think AWT have an amazing attitude, one of the best working knowledges of motor engineering I have come accross and to top ot all off, Bens a nice bloke. There is always a downside to a company, and that is that Ben is a busy bloke and so sometimes work takes longer with him than it will with other companies or you may have to wait to get the work done but you can be guaranteed of a job well done!

Civic Type-R

what did you have done stu?

Hmmm couple of services including a cambelt change, plus a brakes package. This was around 18months ago so things have no doubt improved since then.

A4 oil burner !!!
I have had work done at both and they are both very helpfu.
Only had exhaust and decat fitted at GDI though then a week later my oe cat put back on.
AWT did my inlets first all done in about an hour as i watched and talked asking about future work etc.
Then i had my cam belt changed with new cams and a remap. Dropped the car in on a thursday and picked it up late the friday. Although Ben was busy and out of the office he came back in especially to map the car for me when i phoned him. That to me is 1st class service and the workmanship is A1. My car feels sooooo good to drive. Things is i really want ITB's but they cost too much !
I spoke to them both about standalone ecu's and again both were very helpful. Only difference is AWT recommend VEMS and GDI recommend OMEX.

Sounds like there is so much work involved to get the best out of ITB's eg. trumpet length,matching to manifold,butterfly valve size, injector position and type, new radiator and fan, then you have all the wiring looms etc. IMO i would probably go with AWT for the work as i know the work and products would be first class. Im sure the same would be expected form GDI but its horses for courses !
You will probably pay the same in the long run !

Lionel Richie
hands up who doesn't care? this isn't aimed at anyone

get off your arse and drive to cambridge, both companys are approx 200m apart, go see them both and make up your mind and stop posting these bloody annoying threads on cliosport!

end of thread

bye!

Status
Not open for further replies.