ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ph1 or 172 cup

Ph1 T
Currently got my ph1 looking and running how I want it, but seen a 172 cup up for sale on here pretty much exact same spec as mine minus a few parts.

Thinking of buying the cup and stripping my ph1 as I much prefer the looks of the cup

Anyone had both and which do they prefer,,

Wanting mainly for track odd nipping about noise doesnt bother me as mines stripped ect,

The cup I'm going to look at is stEve's off here,

Ph1 T
Can only see this going one way the ph1 is great tbf just loved the look of the cup,

Ah right I thought the cup was the lightest out of the lot

Evo
Are you mad? Clearly you haven't seen a ph1 next to a ph2. It's much like looking at a 197 and 200!

Not only are they by far better looking, they're lighter, cable throttle is a much better drive than the fly by on mk2s and ph1s are getting rare these days, abit of exclusivitiy is always nice.

53 Clio's & counting
If you really want the look of a ph2, but you are heppy with how your ph1 is, just chuck a ph2 front end on.

But I think most people know which I prefere lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Put cup wishbones etc on your Ph1, the Ph1 are narrower.

I prefer the look of phase 1s though, except for silver ones, not a fan of those at all (even though I have one, lol)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Both epic cars but i think a cup is going to hold its money better in years to come

Its weird that they were actually a poverty spec 172 when new, but seem to be worth more now, I guess its just cause "cup" sounds so cool, lol

I think tidy phase 1s will go up in value though too, but only the really good ones.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
What chip said. Any good conditioned cup or phase 1 will hold its value well, just down to preference

Nissan 350Z
Right, an attempt at being unbiased here...

I had to make the choice between a Phase 1 and a Cup. I chose the Phase 1. My main reasons were price, prefer the interior on the Phase 1, just as light, cable throttle, better airbox.

However, the Cup arguably looks better, and the cambelt that I had to get done would have been significantly cheaper. Likely to hold its value better? Phase 2s also have better gear ratios IMHO. Cup is presumably better handling as standard too.

I'd just choose whichever had been best looked after.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
The "upgrades" on the cup are really minor stuff, different bottom arms, different offset wheels etc, are fairly easy to retrofit to other models, where as some of the "downgrades" like no aircon no climate control etc arent although others like the seats and lights are.

So if trying to end up with the ideal car at the end of it personally I think a non cup car is a better starting point.

But if its a trackday car you want then the cup makes more sense.

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
While I do like having the aircon in the heat we have had recently (Sport PH2) I always prefer driving the PH1 with cup aux setup - No idea why but it just feel's more special and raw.

Ph1 T
My ph1 is very good on track anyway and is pretty similar set up to the cup alltho mines got abit more was purely for looks going to keep the ph1 as it makes more sense no messing about braking stuff ect,,

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
While I do like having the aircon in the heat we have had recently (Sport PH2) I always prefer driving the PH1 with cup aux setup - No idea why but it just feel's more special and raw.

Ive never been able to feel any rawness when driving ones with the cup belt setup, maybe one of your pulleys is knackered?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
My ph1 is very good on track anyway and is pretty similar set up to the cup alltho mines got abit more was purely for looks going to keep the ph1 as it makes more sense no messing about braking stuff ect,,

Winner :)

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
Mine is still pretty sharp after 126,000 miles. It's taken on trackdays fairly regularly as well as used for long journeys. I've had the car 4 years almost. There's not much that gets past me on the race track ! I use the Aircon all the time even on track. I can't see the point in stripping the Aircon out, it keeps the car fresh on a hot day and if it's cold and wet it stops the windows misting up. It makes no difference to the fuel consumption. I get really good MPG on a long run with or without it switched on.

120d M Sport
Your posts make me feel assured about mine Mark - 109k now and still going strong, yet to take it on track though. Hope it's still going as well as yours for miles to come.

I'd say stick with the PH1, you've got a decent one and I don't think theres much to be gained from swapping to a Cup.