ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ph1 Upgrade/Tidy up

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Right, update time.

Drove all the way to Uxbridge mid week to pick these up off of James at JMS (cheers).

n1.jpg

n2.jpg

n3.jpg

Managed to fit all 4 door cars AND a full set of 172 seats (for ben on here) in the back of the car. :eek: James couldn't quite believe it (nor could I tbh).

Problem was the grab handles were filthy :dead:, with had some serious lacquer peelage. Also they had no electric window switches (mine did not fit).

n4.jpg

n5.jpg

Decided to sort this out before even thinking about fitting them...

But first I took a trip down the breakers and picked these up for the grand sum of £2.00 :boring:

n6.jpg

So now I started on the grab handles.... sanded them down starting with some 120 grit, then onto 800, took off a lot more paint than I'd expected but the finish was good.

o1.jpg

o2.jpg

Took them round to my old house which has an empty garage and applied a light layer of lacquer which revealed a host of imperfections, so dried that off with a hair dryer and a fire and smoothed them off further with some 800 grit.

o3.jpg

Then finally I could start layering up the primer.

A few shots in progress and the final primer result:

o4.jpg

o7.jpg

o8.jpg

o9.jpg

Painting tmrw so will update further then.

3 Series touring
really cant belive you got it all in the back there mate!
door card look good though, will really finish it off in there!
cheers for splitting that with me mate

3 Series touring
getcha self some diluted tesco's daisy all purpose cleaner on the plastics to get the marks off, should do the trick , not bad quality (rear bench anyway, not really seen fronts) the material.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Only a small update....

Took the handles round to my garage and got the paint on.

First coat of paint:

l1-1.jpg

l2.jpg

My mate was bored watching me paint so he customized my "booth" it now includes a dry-holder and a spray can holder.

l3.jpg

Last coat of paint:

l4.jpg

l5.jpg

l6.jpg

Finished and hardening in my kitchen:

l7.jpg

l8.jpg

l9.jpg

Coming along nicely, lacquer tommorrow.

Got a free day tommorrow so door cards will be fitted tmrw and then these slotted in the day after.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I want to let the primer/paint/lacquer harden before each next layer.

I figure they get so dirty that it'd be worth trying to get the layers to harden as much as possible to reduce the change of them going rank and yellow. They will be finished tmrw ;)

What do you think of the moondust silver? Quite close to the standard colour I thought?

GavC

ClioSport Club Member
  Black Gold 182FF
The handles look great Robbos in that last picture in your kitchen.. a nice finish and thats without the lacquer! Job well done! :approve:

Oh and nice booth ;)

Titanium 182
I want to let the primer/paint/lacquer harden before each next layer.

I figure they get so dirty that it'd be worth trying to get the layers to harden as much as possible to reduce the change of them going rank and yellow. They will be finished tmrw ;)

What do you think of the moondust silver? Quite close to the standard colour I thought?

I just made sure I layered a lot of lacquer on and let that harder, if you do that the paint wont get touched so wont matter.

Colours pretty good, they look similar to mine except a little less flake in the paint (Which is probably a good thing seeing as they weren't very metallicy as standard !

I'm gonna paint my radio surround to match anyway though so meh :)

Good work !

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
The handles look great Robbos in that last picture in your kitchen.. a nice finish and thats without the lacquer! Job well done! :approve:

Oh and nice booth ;)

Cheers mate, excuse the kitchen, its the only totally unfinished room in the house. Horrible at the moment. :dead:

I'll let him know lol!

Aluco, yeah I shoulda just layered up the lacquer but theres no harm in having a few layers of paint I suppose. I'm going to lacquer them tommorrow and wack them ontop of a radiator, should be good and solid. :)

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Could cry right about now... Just finished off the handles (lacquer), was 100% sure they were dry and massively happy with them, wrapped them in microfibers to bring round to my house from my other houses garage (so they could harden), and the passenger one has just smudged to f**k around the middle.

Gonna try and correct it but it looks like it'll need paint/lacquer again. There's no way I could just rub down the lacquer and get away with it is there?

Oh and would someone please answer my electric window switch question in clio discussion :(

/need

Titanium 182
Let it dry then wet flat it with some 1500 then put another layer of lacquer on. I did the same to mine!

Good progress rob. Reason i never did my car parts, after trying before. Got a good finish on my mirror caps then week later bug splattered.

You need to leave stuff to dry and harden for about a week when using rattle cans.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Good progress rob. Reason i never did my car parts, after trying before. Got a good finish on my mirror caps then week later bug splattered.

You need to leave stuff to dry and harden for about a week when using rattle cans.

Cheers mate, yeah for exterior parts I try to let things harden for as long as possible. But these being interior I don't think it'll be too bad putting them on after a day on the rad.

Better do ;)

Looks awesome that. Very subtle, sits perfect too :)

Cheers mate, after 3 years of ownership I'm finally getting it looking how I want.

Quite suprised at all the love for the 11 year old bucket.

Oh and I got the job I had an interview for the other day ph1 172 here I come!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator

Unfortunately the marks in the lacquer were very servere, just tried sanding it now, couldnt get the marks in the lacquer out before going right down to the paint and even a touch to the primer.

Will be giving it one last coat of paint tmrw and then a good few coats of lacquer as soon as it sets, fed up of waiting for it now. As long as I can get the switches to work these will be fitted by sunday.

Bad times.

GavC

ClioSport Club Member
  Black Gold 182FF
Unlucky with the marks of the lacquer mate! Sand those hoes down and paint them again :) Your hard work will be worth it in the end..

Congrats on your new job aswell :cheers:

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Sanded, painted and done. Very happy with them now :)

Had a serious switch fail today...

Darren off here came down to try and help me but....

It seems motors in the doors work in a totally different way to those in all other mk2's.

There is no "up" or "down" wire, but one wire which has the polarity reversed. By doing this the motor then moves up and down.

Totally stuck now on what to do as my new door cards and handles have no switches, just switches gaffa taped to the door card to I can use them.

:(

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Right, the Ph1 will be getting pretty-fied a little more this weekend....

Got a box of stuff from someone off here will change/tidy the car up a bit, so saturdays plans consist of the following...

• Wash inside and out
  • Fit fog lights
  • Remove kerbed newly refurbed wheel and fix it as best as possible
  • Primer and paint centre cap to replace one that has some sort of contaminent problem, lacquering will have to be done sunday
  • Try to suss out how to get passenger window to be controlled on drivers side
Pics to follow on saturday

Titanium 182
Mate I have cleaned my car once since I got it, I tried to do it last weekend but got bored so only did one side above the side strip and the roof FLOL !

I used to wash my BG every other day :dead:

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Mate I have cleaned my car once since I got it, I tried to do it last weekend but got bored so only did one side above the side strip and the roof FLOL !

I used to wash my BG every other day :dead:

HAHA .. i thought my attention span was short !

My car hasn't had a wash in 3 weeks.. I'm going to win the "CS dirtiest car of the year" award this time round haha :D

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Challenge accepted! Was about to wash it today but decided to fix my screwed wheel. No pictures as it was cold and I wanted to get on with it, but I will take an "after" picture tmrw.

The wheel was kerbed ALL the way round quite deeply as I'd really caught it hard on a Kerb whilst turning a corner.

Mega pleased with the results, will do a full picture update tmrw of what's happened to the car recently.

Off to see some fireworks woo.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Just thought I'd conclude this thread with some pictures of it as it left me...

Spec:

Bog standard.

Daniel took the car off me as a trade in and sold it on within a day!!!

media.jpg

media2.jpg

media3.jpg

media4.jpg

media5.jpg

media6.jpg

media7.jpg