ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PH2 172 underside resto

Just started to do a resto on the underside of the 172, basicaslly just want to make it as nice on the underside as the outside

Going to work from the back to the front and have already got the rear beam off and all the suspension etc

Already purchased new oem brake lines, standard exhaust, brand new oem suspension all around (car is standard except for cooksport springs)

Going to paint the arches and floor and try to properly go to town on it and make it as clean as physically possible without it costing an arm and a leg!

Has anyone got any pics of an underside resto that they may have done before and mind sharing them? Just looking for the right sort of colour/paint combo etc

Any advice is much appreciated also, what to do what not to do??

Will also be looking for some other bits and pieces over time, exhaust heat shields as mine are now ruined getting them off! lol

Few pics of my car from the summer (splitter changed now) and ill get some other pics up from when i started stripping it and where i am currently, tomorrow or sunday

20180506_194035.jpg

20180506_194043.jpg

20180506_194012.jpg

20180506_182223.jpg

Underside resto always seems a lot of hard work :D lol, but it is good to do.

Full suspension overhaul will make a difference - don't forget all the bushes, top mounts and engine mounts if you're already pulling things apart.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
I'm contemplating doing a bit of an underside restoration myself this spring/summer, Im hoping to get the rear beam of for painting but paranoid about removing the 6 bolts to get the mounting brackets off.
I've done a semi suspension refresh on both of my last 1*2s it's well worth it

Keeping my eye out for the bushes on here and the bay etc as and when i see them, already got the top mounts

Painted a small patch on the passenger arch in silver and can already tell its going to tranform the car!

The 6 bolts on the rear beam... 3 straight off no problem the other 3 though :cry: lol! Dont let it put you off though as you can always order new OEM ones or high tensile bolts which are a fair way cheaper and do the same job

Its going to take a little longer than expected due to the time i can spend on the car but will be done for spring (ish) and enjoy driving it again over summer etc

Will get some progress pics up asap!

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Keeping my eye out for the bushes on here and the bay etc as and when i see them, already got the top mounts

Painted a small patch on the passenger arch in silver and can already tell its going to tranform the car!

The 6 bolts on the rear beam... 3 straight off no problem the other 3 though :cry: lol! Dont let it put you off though as you can always order new OEM ones or high tensile bolts which are a fair way cheaper and do the same job

Its going to take a little longer than expected due to the time i can spend on the car but will be done for spring (ish) and enjoy driving it again over summer etc

At least I know my hub bolts will come off easily after this weekends fun.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182

Hows this all progressing, I've done mine all a bit backwards having just overhauled the rear calipers and fitted hub spacers. I'm just waiting for lighter evenings to get the beam off and tackle the rust on the shell where it mounts, fingers crossed it's not gone too far

Tbh slow only because I've alot on at the minute but soon to change that so will be cracking on!
Done one of the rear arches this week as I'm working from back to front
Rubbed the arch down etc (forgot to take proper pics of it all rubbed down but u get the idea) and 2 coats of Hammerite hammered Silver
Boot floor and other arch next
Need to go collect the rear beam etc from the powder coaters as that's ready too :)
20200205_212522.jpg

20200205_215806.jpg

20200205_212529.jpg

20200205_215800.jpg

20200205_212513.jpg

20200205_215804.jpg

Wish I had the proper space and money to do what you've done there! Looks awesome! Hopefully mine will look almost as good :D

After taking everything back ive used 2 coats of Hammerite Hammered (didn't want a smooth silver finish)

Had the same done with the rear axel which I need to collect, gone for a flat black which should match the new standard rear shocks and cooksport springs etc

Look forward to seeing a lot more of yours though!

I really need to take more pictures and get them up here as I go, sure ill need some advice and info as I go along

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
I have some bits you may be interested in. I can get some photos and send them to you. Saves you a job with some bits :). I have the 2 sub-frame braces powder coated Silver, ARB powdercoated Black (with PF bushes), couple of brackets etc.

I have some bits you may be interested in. I can get some photos and send them to you. Saves you a job with some bits :). I have the 2 sub-frame braces powder coated Silver, ARB powdercoated Black (with PF bushes), couple of brackets etc.
Yes please, send me some pics and details if you would?

David172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 M135i
2nd dibs on ARB bushes please ☺

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Great progress with these, I must pull my finger out and get the beam off. I replaced the OS handbrake cable which i found had corroded while replacing the caliper seals.

The shell rust where the beam mounts looks a little bit worse than I had hoped for, that and the few bits of dodgy bodywork are making me wonder what the hell I'm doing continuing with this car. If I'd been thinking straight a year ago I should have broken it and found a better one

Great progress with these, I must pull my finger out and get the beam off. I replaced the OS handbrake cable which i found had corroded while replacing the caliper seals.

The shell rust where the beam mounts looks a little bit worse than I had hoped for, that and the few bits of dodgy bodywork are making me wonder what the hell I'm doing continuing with this car. If I'd been thinking straight a year ago I should have broken it and found a better one
Keep at it mate it will be worth it in the end! Aslong as the mounting for the rear axel is solid and you can treat it before refitting then keep on with it?
Theres great satisfaction when you see it start coming together

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Keep at it mate it will be worth it in the end! Aslong as the mounting for the rear axel is solid and you can treat it before refitting then keep on with it?
Theres great satisfaction when you see it start coming together
I will, I've done more to it than any of my previous 1*2s even though it's by far the untidiest. Fingers crossed on the mounts🤞

Bit more tonight...

Tank off, easy job to do and all the bolts came off relatively easy too.
Nice and tidy behind and luckily the only rust to really speak of is just surface rust behind the rear axel hinges/brackets which is easily sorted
Speaking of which collected the rear axel today and absolutely suited with it and only £50
Taking the front subframe too when it comes off
Next is to paint the boot floor and behind the tank so it all matches and the rear arches are done now
20200207_195150.jpg

20200207_195048.jpg

20200207_194935.jpg

20200207_194916.jpg

20200207_194852.jpg

20200207_194849.jpg

20200207_194856.jpg

Attachments

• 20200207_194856.jpg
    20200207_194856.jpg
    470.9 KB · Views: 113

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Bit more tonight...

Tank off, easy job to do and all the bolts came off relatively easy too.
Nice and tidy behind and luckily the only rust to really speak of is just surface rust behind the rear axel hinges/brackets which is easily sorted
Speaking of which collected the rear axel today and absolutely suited with it and only £50
Taking the front subframe too when it comes off
Next is to paint the boot floor and behind the tank so it all matches and the rear arches are done now
View attachment 1453371
View attachment 1453372
View attachment 1453373
View attachment 1453374
View attachment 1453375
View attachment 1453376
View attachment 1453379
That's a lot you've got done there, how does my corrosion compare to yours?
20200208_130818.jpg

Attachments

• 20200208_124041.jpg
    20200208_124041.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 171
  • 20200208_124013.jpg
    20200208_124013.jpg
    319.2 KB · Views: 143

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
I could have cried when I scraped back the first bit of underseal

Stu.

ClioSport Club Member
  lots of clios.
Do you have a project thread? @Stu.

Wish I had the proper space and money to do what you've done there! Looks awesome! Hopefully mine will look almost as good :D

After taking everything back ive used 2 coats of Hammerite Hammered (didn't want a smooth silver finish)

Had the same done with the rear axel which I need to collect, gone for a flat black which should match the new standard rear shocks and cooksport springs etc

Look forward to seeing a lot more of yours though!

I really need to take more pictures and get them up here as I go, sure ill need some advice and info as I go along

It was never meant to end up like this...once the ball starts rolling its hard to stop lol. I started mine circa 2015/2016 I think...The end is in sight though!

Heres my project thread that's been poorly updated over the years, I'll start to upload more stuff when (if) it ever returns from the bodyshop :LOL:

Thought I'd post a bit of an update

Rear end all back together barring the discs and pads. All new brake lines, new shocks , sensors and handbrake cables re-attached aswel plus some purple bushes for good measure on the axel and upper shock mounts

Just need to fit the discs and pads and final clean and then its onto the front end!

20200418_192727.jpg

20200418_192520.jpg

20200418_192629.jpg

20200418_192612.jpg

20200418_192458.jpg

20200418_185748.jpg

20200418_185759.jpg

20200418_192652.jpg

Attachments

• 20200418_192520.jpg
    20200418_192520.jpg
    409.3 KB · Views: 71

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Is the underneath of the car all silver hammered hammerite? The underneath of my Mk2 XR2 has been done in black hammerite with all the bolt on components powder coated black with new bushes, brake lines etc. The arches have been painted in black hammerite for the last 20yrs and still look pretty much the same now!! Great stuff and seems very good at preventing corrosion.

The underneath of your car looks fantastic. Bet it is really satisfying putting it all back together. Where did you get all the new bolts from? Keep the updates coming 👍

Is the underneath of the car all silver hammered hammerite? The underneath of my Mk2 XR2 has been done in black hammerite with all the bolt on components powder coated black with new bushes, brake lines etc. The arches have been painted in black hammerite for the last 20yrs and still look pretty much the same now!! Great stuff and seems very good at preventing corrosion.

The underneath of your car looks fantastic. Bet it is really satisfying putting it all back together. Where did you get all the new bolts from? Keep the updates coming 👍
That's it, the floor has all been done in Hammerite Hammered Silver and the 95% of the rest is either powder coated or brand new! The other 5% is the odd bolt that's had a lick of black and sensors that have been cleaned and reused
Was really satisfying to out back together and looking forward to doing the front end now, subframe off etc and fitting the new suspension too

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
That is a cracking result mate, I must pull my finger out ant get on with mine while I cant drive it. Only think holding me back is getting the beam powder coated but I might resort to Hammerite

Kenich.

ClioSport Club Member
  172 PH1
Such a satisfying job to have done on a cherished car, looks fantastic.

Have you got an Instagram account?