ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Phase 1 172 v Phase 2 Cup

Octavia vRS tfsi
I'm just after spotting a Cup for sale over here for in and around the same money that I'd be looking for for my phase 1 172.

Are cups much, if any, better than the Phase 1?

Obviously, thats a pretty subjective question. One mans better is another mans shite, but interested in your opinions . .

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
as you posted in my thread...lol

best person to ask is Day mate, he went from a phase 1 172 - cup.

as far as i know i think they are about the same weight etc......can't really help anymore as not driven a cup.

you checked my thread back?, you'll chuckle

Cup is lighter so is slightly quicker but at the cost of more poverty spec. Ph1 has cable accelator which is better than the FBW in the Cup. Also Cup has no ABS which if its for use on the road is a bad thing imo.

Octavia vRS tfsi
Just did now reebone!

I might call and take it for a drive. I prefer the phase 1 looks wise to the phase 2. They look much more aggressive, though not as good from the rear!

Basically in the handling and prowess department so there's nothing in it. The RS Clios were never sold over here to trying to actually find one for sale to view and drive anywhere locally is tough!

Cup is lighter so is slightly quicker but at the cost of more poverty spec. Ph1 has cable accelator which is better than the FBW in the Cup. Also Cup has no ABS which if its for use on the road is a bad thing imo.
or you could get a cup and get it converted to the phase 1 pedal like I have!!

or you could get a cup and get it converted to the phase 1 pedal like I have!!

yes you could but I was comparing the standard cars. The list of ifs buts and maybes is endless.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Cup is the car i'd have. More modern looking, lovely colour and turinis as standard. I wouldn't miss AC one bit.

Octavia vRS tfsi
mon2.jpg

Phase 1 172

For maybe this
906353_20080126040146_1.jpg

Phase 2 Cup

phase 2 172
ive had both and i would say the cup is slightly quicker .dont know if this is because the cup had lower miles and was newer .

Clio 172 cup
how old is this thread? I've driven both too and I'd say ph1 is slightly slower until you remove the spare wheel then it's a different story. LOL

Z4
cup. Performance is basically the same on both, only the cup looks more modern, looks more special (imo), and has a better interior.

PH1 172 Sport
PH1 for me. Performance is pretty much identical but it comes with a few mod cons such as aircon which i couldn't do without on a daily driver. I also think the PH1's are getting pretty rare now whereas I always see PH2's.

RIP cup, now 172ph1
i have! cup hands down compared to my ph1.. handles much better. im getting cup shocks asap!

BMW E46 330i Touring
I'm the same mate, the Cup is the better car for me. A lot of people saying the Ph1 so just wondering if they've owned both.

PH1 172 Sport
I haven't owned both but I have driven both and the PH1 wins for me just because it has aircon, abs and IMO a nicer interior. If it was going to be just a weekend/track toy then I would get the cup and strip it bare.

Ph1
i have! cup hands down compared to my ph1.. handles much better. im getting cup shocks asap!

So you mean your swaping the same shocks you have now for some more exactly the same? :S

Difference in handling is down to the offsets on the wheels - 5mm spacers sorts that out ;)

PMSL @ the Cup having a better interior than a ph1, as one lad wrote. Cups got probably the blandest interior a cars ever come with! .....but then its not about creature comforts and toys so.......

Last edited:
  BMW E46 330i Touring
The only part of the Ph1 interior that I prefer are the look of the seats. The layout of the dash, steering wheel, clocks, colour, etc are all better in the cup. IMO of course.

Ph1
Cup dash look more Vag like but its bland as dishwater. Phase 1 has the silver trim, blue dash top, white dials, far far better but thats just my opinion

Octavia vRS tfsi
Listen, the dash of the ph1 is 11 years old since first release! It's bound to look dated, as with most cars of the late 90's. It's a product of it's era!

For what it's worth, I prefer the rear of the ph2 but feel that the front of the ph1 is both far more distinctive and far more aggressive. I would have liked to have tried a Cup at the time I was considering a change but I don't for one minute regret sticking with my ph1 either.

Ph1
Listen, the dash of the ph1 is 11 years old since first release! It's bound to look dated, as with most cars of the late 90's. It's a product of it's era!

For what it's worth, I prefer the rear of the ph2 but feel that the front of the ph1 is both far more distinctive and far more aggressive. I would have liked to have tried a Cup at the time I was considering a change but I don't for one minute regret sticking with my ph1 either.

And how old are the Cups again? only 2 years newer than the ph1 dohhh

Pointless argument anyway. Its all down to opinions, there isnt a right and a wrong answer

PH1 172 Sport
I dont think the ph1 interior is that dated. Simple yet fuctional IMO. I dont want 600 buttons and a fussy dash in a small hatchback (I'm not saying the cup does but some cars do these days and I just think its pointless)

MCS R56
PH1 interiors are seriously nasty. The Cup's ain't all that but it's a marked improvement on the PH1. No contest.

I'd have the phase 1 if only for its 'get out of my lane' front end styling, can't beat a nicely polished mondial though and turinis as standard.

RIP cup, now 172ph1
So you mean your swaping the same shocks you have now for some more exactly the same? :S

Difference in handling is down to the offsets on the wheels - 5mm spacers sorts that out ;)

umm cup front shocks are different...

Audi TT 3.2 V6
For me i think it would have to be the cup given the choice of the 2. Although given the full list of 1*2 variants to pick from id choose my 182 with cup suspension every time.