ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Phase 1 Odyssey Blue 172!

Clio 172
So I've got the 172 bug again and I found myself the owner of a genuinely great little car. It's a one owner car, low miles, and heaps of history and it's just had 12 months mot put on it! And it was an absolute bargain!
This is the car when I got it home yesterday....

dc5d098d9819d22232de4801e2118179.jpg

It's not without its problems...

Front bumper isn't fitting correctly.

Front fogs don't work.

Fuse box isn't fastened up.

Paint work has been let go a little but nothing I can't sort!

And a few other bits and bobs.

So today I decided to spend some time with the car and fix a few niggles.
I took the bumper off to find the problem with the fogs anyway, the bumper was being held out by a torx 27 socket that had perhaps been dropped at some point during a repair etc, the front fog light issue was a corroded plug where the car loom joins the fog light loom!
Managed to get the fuse box fastened up properly without removing the dash which was a result! Somebody had decided cable ties were the way forward instead of putting it back the screws!
Put a battery in the key, re synced it with the car and joy I've got remote central locking again!
Gave a small part of the bonnet a quick mop as in pretty sure the cars hasn't been washed in many years!

e32753a8e99d321f35fe9b9a4df80682.jpg

It does need some bringing back to life and I'm going to take my time doing it!

On the upside turns out it's got a cat back stainless steel system on it!! Not sure of the brand at the minute but time will tell when it hits the ramp!!

Been looking at tyres and I'm thinking about these, anyone have any experience with these?

7b7d555b0358da2dc4e738bc8fbf77f0.jpg

Exhaust aside I'm going to keep the car standard and just bring it back to its former glory!

As for parts where is best to go? There doesn't seem to be much on the bay for the phase 1! Any suggestions?

Thanks

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Rare car mate and looks great :)

With regards the tyres search on here. They haven't the best of reps unless bone dry.

Clio 172
Rare car mate and looks great :)

With regards the tyres search on here. They haven't the best of reps unless bone dry.

Thanks mate, I'm pleased with the colour and the car as a rule. When I got home I jumped straight into the phase 2 as a comparison and I couldn't believe the difference in the two cars!
I'll have a good search on the forum, I know I had Pirelli p zero's on my last one and they were really good!

Mec 350 slk manual
So I've got the 172 bug again and I found myself the owner of a genuinely great little car. It's a one owner car, low miles, and heaps of history and it's just had 12 months mot put on it! And it was an absolute bargain!
This is the car when I got it home yesterday....

dc5d098d9819d22232de4801e2118179.jpg

It's not without its problems...

Front bumper isn't fitting correctly.

Front fogs don't work.

Fuse box isn't fastened up.

Paint work has been let go a little but nothing I can't sort!

And a few other bits and bobs.

So today I decided to spend some time with the car and fix a few niggles.
I took the bumper off to find the problem with the fogs anyway, the bumper was being held out by a torx 27 socket that had perhaps been dropped at some point during a repair etc, the front fog light issue was a corroded plug where the car loom joins the fog light loom!
Managed to get the fuse box fastened up properly without removing the dash which was a result! Somebody had decided cable ties were the way forward instead of putting it back the screws!
Put a battery in the key, re synced it with the car and joy I've got remote central locking again!
Gave a small part of the bonnet a quick mop as in pretty sure the cars hasn't been washed in many years!

e32753a8e99d321f35fe9b9a4df80682.jpg

It does need some bringing back to life and I'm going to take my time doing it!

On the upside turns out it's got a cat back stainless steel system on it!! Not sure of the brand at the minute but time will tell when it hits the ramp!!

Been looking at tyres and I'm thinking about these, anyone have any experience with these?

7b7d555b0358da2dc4e738bc8fbf77f0.jpg

Exhaust aside I'm going to keep the car standard and just bring it back to its former glory!

As for parts where is best to go? There doesn't seem to be much on the bay for the phase 1!
Looking at that I miss mine

Clio 172
Im sure it will clean up nice,looking forward to seeing your progress on it!

I'm going to get on with it this week, for now it'll just get a nice buff and wax! Come summer I'll strip it down and paint it! Want to get inside clean and start making it mine! Interior needs slipping out for a good clean!
To be fair the paint on the roof and bonnet isn't great, bird poo left to bake on in the sun hasn't done it any favours!

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Probably not a lot! Ph1 in general are getting rarer.

One thing I would so is remove the inner rear quarter panel and check to see if it has any rust. These are a main issue on these now.

Clio 172
Probably not a lot! Ph1 in general are getting rarer.

One thing I would so is remove the inner rear quarter panel and check to see if it has any rust. These are a main issue on these now.

I'm lucky like that dude, I run a body shop so soon enough it'll be gutted to a shell and done again! I believe it's solid, had a good poke around today (hence finding my stainless exhaust) and it all seems really solid!

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Clio looks great. I don't think I've ever seen one in blue before. One owner as well, that's gotta be a rare number on a clio 172 log book!

Clio 172
Clio looks great. I don't think I've ever seen one in blue before. One owner as well, that's gotta be a rare number on a clio 172 log book!

That's what I'm hoping! Sadly I'm on the V5 now but not much I could do about that! Fingers crossed it'll be a little gem one day and they may start to be worth some money!

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
Yea I saw it and thought that's bloody cheap!
Chuck £1000 at it sorting bits out and you will have a superb rare ph1.

Get the thread moved to the projects bit :)

Clio 172
Yea I saw it and thought that's bloody cheap!
Chuck £1000 at it sorting bits out and you will have a superb rare ph1

That's my plan mate, when summer lands I can pull the engine sort that all out at home, take the shell to work paint the shell then slowly put it back together (hopefully sorting some wiring gremlins along the way)

boomerbang2006

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172,2001
Hello Cosmic172...has your car got some bubbling issues on the inside of the tailgate....rust even??

2014 Clio 200t edc
WOW!! if i had your job i wouldn't get any work done, id just sit there in the cars all day! (or take them out!!)
172 looks lovely, and once you've finished with your plans it will be perfect!! love a ph1!!

Clio 172
WOW!! if i had your job i wouldn't get any work done, id just sit there in the cars all day! (or take them out!!)
172 looks lovely, and once you've finished with your plans it will be perfect!! love a ph1!!

The novelty wears off mate!

RB 182 FF
That's an impressive selection of cars you've worked on, I'm guessing the quality of your work is pretty damned good!:smile: Although I love originality I'd have to spray those door strips and handles, the black strips and handles just don't shout out sport at all, more like 1.2... Also I'd need a cup spoiler and it would be epic, I know you want to keep it original however...:up: