ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Phase 2 Service intervals (172)

Hi Guys,

I've had a nose around the forum but thought I'd ask for some advice as well. My brother has his heart set on a phase 2 172 and has spotted a couple for sale. The first one I called about is at a small dealer and is a 53 plate with 60500 on the clock. What has worried me is it only has three stamps in the book and the cambelt has not been done.

Based on the cambelt alone I've warned him off it as I'm sure these are done at either 5 years or 72k, whatever comes first. However it has got me thinking, what exactly are the intervals that Renault recommend and what should a car around 02/03 with average miles have had done?

Cheers :D

Mountune Tractor
Every 12k.
An 02 car with average 96k mileage I'd want to see at least 7 stamps 12k, 24k, 36k, 48k, 60k, 72k and 84k.
An 03 car with average 84k mileage I'd want to see at least 6 stamps 12k, 24k, 36k, 48k, 60k and 72k.

On the 53 plate with 60500? Not sure but personally I'd still want it serviced every year.

36k and 72k services are major, 72 more so than the 36.

An 02/03 should have had at least one cambelt change before 5 years or 72k whichever comes first. Both will need a second cambelt in the near future depending on when it was done first.

Thanks guys ;)

My Bro rang another seller today about an 02 172 with 70'000 on the clock and was told it had a full history. When I then rang and probed a bit it transpired it didn't have the full history at all and the lad selling had bought it as a non runner after its timing belt had snapped.

In fairness he works for Renault so used genuine parts on the rebuild but he was adamant that the service intervals were every 2 years. Am I being too picky trying to find him a car with a full history with the cam belt done on time?? A lot of cars I enquire about with a 'full history' don't seem to add up and most owners have conflicting ideas about when things need done which is tricky as you don't want to call people liars, but at the same time you need to know it's right.

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
There you go-

Provided by renault-

intervals are 2 years or 12k

Steve

Last edited:
Thanks Steve :approve:

In terms of buying a car that's had the cam belt done late, or missing a couple of stamps, is it a major problem with resale, or indeed a big no-no?

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Hum..... not a HUGE difference, especially on an older 172....

Receipts & proof of belt change are far more important- an 02 with say 5/6 stamps wouldnt be to bad

S

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2062562.htm

This popped up on PH earlier when I was checking my cars were updated as sold ( put in the ph thread)

If I was a private buyer I would have been there cash waiting that day- irrespective of belt change-

I checked as well it was 1 owner- went for 2.5k-!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! deperate for money

S

Sorry Steve :eek:

That's crazy what that car went for! Well you've been really helpful. I'm hoping with his £2.8 - 3k budget he'll get a good 'un soon enough.

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
3 k is plenty- I would go for monaco Blue lowered with a set of silver turinis- Job done-

my order - blue, black then silver-

S