ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Phone contracts

182 Ly ff.
If you sign up for a two year contract, do you have to stay for the full two years or can you look at upgrading or moving networks a 18 months?

I say this as my wife has blackberry and is18 month into her contract with 02 but it keeps breaking and she wants an iPhone as the blackberry is a pile of sh!t!

So what options does she have? Any comments or experiences appreciated.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Call the network.

Nobody on here will be able to comment on individual cases.

However as a guide, some networks allow upgrades early, but not termination (without you paying off the remainder to terminate)

CBR1000RR Fireblade
We had a very similar thing recently. Amy had to pay off the reminder of her existing contract before she could upgrade. She did change networks, it could be different if you want to stay with the same network.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
In my case I moved three months before my contract ended, before then I would have had to pay to get out. Like Rob said best thing to do is ring them.

The girlfriend got caught out by doing this on Orange - she upgraded three months early because they let her, and she went into another 24 month contract.

What they didn't tell her is that the 3 months she hadn't finished of the first contract were added to the replacement contract, so she had a 27 f**king month contract on some s**t orange phone... :mad:

172 cup
most add the remaining months to the new contract, i had a iphone 4 £50 a month the contract ran out i ran orange said i got offered a galaxy s2 for £20 a month from three so they did £18.50 phone for free 1000mins unlimted everything else

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Really don't get why people get into long contracts, 30 day contracts and buying the phone cash is cheaper & means can change whenever you want.

I read that Tesco data limits are s**t, and going over them is £1/mb or something ridiculous?? lol

3 Sim Only is £15 a month for pretty much all you could ever need. Or T-Mobile do SIM Only that you can add Mobile Broadband to, which gives you HSDPA and, in my experience, 2mb/second d/l speeds on a good day!

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
My tesco is 500 mins, unlimited text and unlimited data, cost me £10 a month, 30 day contract. TBH i get feck all 3G cos of where I live, but never had any issues with it.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
most add the remaining months to the new contract, i had a iphone 4 £50 a month the contract ran out i ran orange said i got offered a galaxy s2 for £20 a month from three so they did £18.50 phone for free 1000mins unlimted everything else

Good deal that

I usually end my contract early by getting a new contract with a cashback deal and using that cash to pay the remainder of the old contract, usually have to pay for 2 bills for 1 or 2 months but oh well

Astra (H) VXR
I'm with orange and have 24moth contract but they offer me a upgrade every 12 months for a price of £300 but I get a 33% loyalty discount as well. So about £200.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
Really don't get why people get into long contracts, 30 day contracts and buying the phone cash is cheaper & means can change whenever you want.

Its actually not on some deals.

Take my 24 month iPhone 4 contract for example, £492 it's cost all in. At the time I took out the contract it was around £500 just for the handset.

Mk3 clio 1.5
On 24month contracts most cusotmers can upgrade early, meaning 23months in. Your upgradedate is dependant on your average monthly spend over the year £0-£499 is Blue tier (1month early upgrade) £500-£799 is silver tier (1 month early upgrade - with o2 bonuses) £800-1500 is gold 3month early upgrade.

To upgrade before renewal you will have to pay your contract price off. Upgrade dates can be altered but not really done within o2, unless you have a bad cusotmer service history etc.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
I don't know about any other networks but I know that orange and Vodafone don't let you do that.

The smallest plan you can drop down to is the one you originally signed.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
I had a nokia at the time and orange said that the smallest price plan you can drop down to is the original one that you signed. That and I did a 3 month early upgrade three times so instead of an 18 month contract I had a 27 month contract on a Nokia phone that didn't work. Ace

ITB BG 182
My last contract was with Orange for 24 months, the last 6 months they let me down grade to £5 per month then i paid out for the last 3 months.

Now on Tesco/O2 with a 4S at £30 p/m and only paid £135 for the phone. It's capped also. I get 750 mins, 5000 texts and 1 GB internet with 4GB hotspot usage.
Oh an its for 12 months so costing a maximum of £495 p/a.

Tesco/O2's data network is bloody good, I spent a whole month on facebook, watching videos and viewing mates new photo's plus lots of youtube then I got a text towards the end of the month saying I had 450mbs left and that it will roll over to my next usage.

Mk3 clio 1.5
If you want to leave early then just remove all bundles and downgrade to the lowest talk plan.

Bingo.

Termination fees quoted are only for the tariff, no bolt ons are inclded in the term fees. You can only downgrade the tariff after been halfway though your contract and to the next lowest plan with O2. Unless you get a thic advisro who knows none of the rules.