ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Phone dilemma!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
Basically I'm in a dilemma between 2 phones/contracts. Seeing as I don't know a massive amount about either, I thought I'd post it up here!

iPhone 3GS on o2

Cost wise for the 16gb on a 24 month contract would be £90 for the phone, then £35 a month for the contract plus £10 for insurance. Reasons why I want it:

- It's an ipod so can be used with my ipod only head unit (will replace my battered 2gb nano!)

- Navigation (either the current google maps or tomtom)

- Apps such as the cinema times one, little things like that which would be useful

- Easy use of internet which will be useful when on site working etc

Cons for me are the price, at £45 a month I can afford it but not sure if paying almost 50 quid a month for a phone will take the shine off it a little?

Samsung Omnia HD on Orange

Currently with orange atm which means I can get a really good deal. They've said I can have 200 mins + unlim txts for £14 a month or 600 mins for £19. I could have pretty much any phone for free except a few which would cost aboout 30 quid. I may be able to get the monthly cost down even lower too.

I like the HD camera, would be useful for when I go biking and stuff like that. Plus it has internet and realplayer which is apparently really good for films too. Not sure if it's capable of satnav etc too?

I really want the iphone, but not sure if it's worth the extra 25 quid a month!!

Thoughts? :eek:

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
Works out cheaper though, plus I've had my current phone (k850i) almost 2 years and it doesn't bother me. Plus I'd be perfectly in time for the next next iphone ;)

To make it a fair comparison I'd have to add the orange cover for £6 and 500mb internet allowance for the samsung which would make it £29 a month.

Only a 15 quid difference now, hmm....

BMW F31
iPhone.

the only thing i have found though is when using it with my Harman Kardon Drive+Play is the radio on the iPhone interferes with my stereo, e.g the annoying beep noise through the speakers as it receives calls/msgs.

for this reason i still use my 80gb classic ipod as it doesnt cause interference.

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
Yeh I noticed that when using a mates iphone the other day. Wouldn't really bother me though. I meant more like buying the iphone would save me buying a touch or something as 2gb isn't enough for my music!

Mk2 Golf GTI
I'm in the same boat. They offered 400 mins, unlimited texts and 80mb of internet usage for £20. But i'd have to pay £129 for the Omnia HD.

They also offered a 5800 for free on £15 a month (or £10 without the net) for the above tariff. Tempted tbh. Not an amazing phone but i have an ipod touch anyway so can get most of the goodness on there.

Might ring back and see how much i can get the blackberry bold for. The lack of compatibility with the Samsung is putting me off. Can't even find a decent review!

The only other option is to hold out and see how much the N97 will be.

One question about iphone , can you play a bands songs on there Myspace through the iphone? ie , i click on a bands profile , can i play/hear there tunes?

Thanks

Gem

Racing Blue 182
Rich I've got exactly the same dilemma as you...except I'm torn between changing providers and what works out cheapest.

Aggghhhh....flipping o2 exclusiveness FTL.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Thats £360 extra over 2 years for the iphone. Just buy a 3g and get it unlocked? At least you're not then tied in.

Gem

Racing Blue 182
Yeah Rich thats an option?

TBH I was thinking of doing that....I don't really give a s**t about the "new" extra features of the 3GS. At the risk of offending EVERYONE in this thread :eek:

I also wouldn't have the first clue how to unlock it. iN00b.

Gem

Racing Blue 182
Voice recognition, 1 extra megapixel camera, video editing....plus a few more bits. Is it really worth an extra £150? I'm not sure....:S (Not than I know much about them anyway)

All that stuff wouldn't fuss me. I wouldn't even want the white case...I prefer the black. (I have a black ipod, laptop, TV, DVD player, iPod speakers...you get the idea)

Plus I have an awesome 10 megapixel camera which is quicker to use anyway.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Voice recognition, 1 extra megapixel camera, video editing....plus a few more bits. Is it really worth an extra £150? I'm not sure....:S (Not than I know much about them anyway)

All that stuff wouldn't fuss me. I wouldn't even want the white case...I prefer the black. (I have a black ipod, laptop, TV, DVD player, iPod speakers...you get the idea)

Plus I have an awesome 10 megapixel camera which is quicker to use anyway.

The extra "speed" is the main selling point for me.

Gem

Racing Blue 182
Thats settled then, I've worked it out and it's cheaper for me to downgrade my Orange contract, then cancel and take the last 3 months charge...and move my number over to an o2 tariff.

I've managed to wangle extra texts on the iPhone tariff by virtue of the fact I'm an old customer of o2 and they want me back. It's going to cost a little extra on top every month but I simply can't limit myself to 500 a month :S

Mini Cooper S sport
TBH this may as well be renamed the iPhone forum, it's not even worth asking what phone to get!

Gem

Racing Blue 182
Ben I know exactly what you mean....proverbial has hit pan though.

Orange just don't offer a phone with the internet capabilities though. Not for a decent tariff, just got off the phone to them.

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
I think I've pretty much decided on the iphone tbh. Half tempted to sack the insurance off to make it seem cheaper, but I have a habit of leaving things behind like wallet, keys, phone etc :eek:

As Gem said, orange don't really offer any sort of internet useage in their plans other than 500mb data use for an extra couple of quid.

I don't know if I can be arsed with the whole buying a 3gs and then a simplicity contract, may as well just get the 35 quid a month jobby as it'll give me enough mins etc. May as well get the 3gs too as I'll probably have it for 2 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.