ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Photography Chat and Questions Thread

We'll see. It's not my profession, and have never done it to make money at all.
I just don't feel 'into it' at the moment. Maybe it's just a phase that'll pass if I just force myself out there.
Maybe a good car photo shoot will boost my enthusiasm ;)

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
I wouldn’t get rid of it, Dan. As much as the X100 is a great camera is will never produce the sort of images your D3 will. It’d be one of those things you regret imo.

LY 182 FF CUPPED
X100 is easily as good as a D3, again only hindered by focal length. Exposure latitude, sharpness, iso range is very similar. The x100 has some tricks that embarrass a D3 such as flash sync speed, built in ND filter, in camera RAW processor.
D3 is pushing on for nearly 10 year old technology. I would sell the D3 and grab a D800 Dan, it's the only DSLR I would shoot nowadays.
Got a rather nice split screen camper here in London you can play with Dan :)

Golf GTD Mk7
X100 is easily as good as a D3, again only hindered by focal length. Exposure latitude, sharpness, iso range is very similar. The x100 has some tricks that embarrass a D3 such as flash sync speed, built in ND filter, in camera RAW processor.
D3 is pushing on for nearly 10 year old technology. I would sell the D3 and grab a D800 Dan, it's the only DSLR I would shoot nowadays.
Got a rather nice split screen camper here in London you can play with Dan :)

I was considering a D800, but I need a battery grip on my cameras now i've got used to it, and this makes it bigger than the d3 :eek:. I'm hoping to get hold of a decent second had d3s instead. D3 are still amazing bodies regardless of age. It depends on what you want to shoot I guess, and how arty you want to be. There are pro's and con's to both, but i'd still rather shoot propper DSLR.

LY 182 FF CUPPED
I bet I can shot better images with my x100 than a lot of photographers can with a D3 - 35mm lens only.

Egos aside ;) I am sure many people armed only with a smart phone could outdo those with a dslr which perhaps shows just how unimportant kit is, that said the question did concern kit and like for like there's probably little between the two cameras in image quality but the d3 will have many advantages such as focusing speed for one!

What PP would have been used to achieve these two pictures?

​I love the style.

8697565741_80ba8c3bfc_b.png

8698688148_e843a56e39_b.png

LY 182 FF CUPPED
I guess I've used pretty much every pro camera that has been out there the last 10 years, and trust me -the camera doesn't make the image!!!! Ok it can help to the final print, people shouldn't get too wrapped up in their gear and just go shoot images. Study light, study form,texture,shape,shadow,perspective.....far too many excuses over what gear to use.
P.s I wish I had a Leica, it would make me an insanely awesome photographer.

Yep very true - I can't stand Nikon's they all feel like kids toys, where as Canon's are big chunky heavy things that feel good in your hand. LOL It's a very personal preference I've noticed that too - it's really weird. I've bought and sold over a dozen high end canon lenses and sometimes sold them for more than I paid. Buy 2nd hand and sell 2nd hand and you hardly lose a penny. But nikon gear sells for absolute peanuts :(

You must be talking high end? The 1000D all the way up to the 700D feel plastic fantastic compared to Nikon IMO.

On another note... The UV filter debate. Get some or not?!

Golf GTD Mk7
Personally I use filters more for protection from scratches. Im bot a fan of hoods on small primes in particular. I doubt uv will effect a lens enough through general exposure.

I guess I've used pretty much every pro camera that has been out there the last 10 years, and trust me -the camera doesn't make the image!!!! Ok it can help to the final print, people shouldn't get too wrapped up in their gear and just go shoot images. Study light, study form,texture,shape,shadow,perspective.....far too many excuses over what gear to use.

I see what you're saying, but there are certain things the dslr range will do much better than other camera. These days photoshop etc make things possible that was originally done on the camera like panning. The main issue is that people don't understand composition when it comes to creating an image. Some people just have an eye for it.

I would like one as a secondary camera to my DSLR, but just cant justify the cost!

I could never replace my kit with one though as it just couldnt cut it for the type of photography I take.

Personally I use filters more for protection from scratches. Im bot a fan of hoods on small primes in particular. I doubt uv will effect a lens enough through general exposure.

Thinking of getting some before I go on holiday as might be in a mixture on conditions!

Leading on from my question above (the vintage/over exposed style), I had an attempt last night.

Awful result, but I'd read shooting into the light/sun was the key.

8703162771_35791bfed2_b.png

8703157941_ce9f3e2b55_b.png

Any further tips?

Got a link to a guide/video on this? Is it called 'vintage'? I wouldn't call it this, but some Google results appear to be.

It's called cross processing, planetx mentioned it above. Plenty of YouTube videos that should point you in the right direction.

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
I found a few free ones that gave that effect!!... I will post name up later :)

Cross processing is easy you just use C41 chemicals to develop your slide film rather than the usual E6 ;)

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Can't find my nifty fifty anywhere ...

So I've just bought a Sigma 30mm 1.4 to replace it.

Due for delivery tomorrow - no doubt the 50 will be sat somewhere dead obvious as I walk back from the front room :dapprove:

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
Lol! I never thought of losing my kit as an excuse to buy more haha!

I normally just go home and tell the mrs I have already bought it.... Then she can't moan at me as I already have it lol! However she encouraged me to buy the D800 :/

It has nearly paid for itself already, so new lens next month, i have just picked up a sb-900 flash for £90 + my old tatty sb-600

LY 182 FF CUPPED
Dan just had a play with the x100s............I'm getting one, blows the x100 away. So much quicker, focus peaking and much better monochrome images.

X100 up for grabs.....

I know lol!

I've been trying to not look into it too much. I'm buying loads of things for a house at the moment, so I can't really look into it anyway.

I might be selling my 70-200mm VRII after my next (and last!!) wedding in June, so I may get one with the money from that.....we'll see.

If it improves the focusing then yes, as that can be a pain in the ass sometimes.
And I think the new one has a MUCH better digital viewfinder display too.

LY 182 FF CUPPED
It's a completely different camera, focus peaking alone is worth the money. The Q button is a gift, and you gain at least one stop iso wise.
It operates far quicker, I'm defo getting one.

Not sure yet.
I'll probably sell the 70-200 as I don't use it as often as I'd like, and I don't do any Motorsport stuff anymore so its a bit pointless for me.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Got to go to Liverpool tomorrow to sort out my passport. Are there any interesting places to photograph whilst I'm there? Might as well make the best of my unplanned day off work.