ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Photography Chat and Questions Thread

Dan...

ClioSport Club Member
I'm planning on going over to Santa pod tomorrow for the fast show. This will be my first time taking my DSLR anywhere like this so I wondered if anyone can give me some tips please? Also, what will help me capture movement and motion in the pictures I take on the strip?

Cheers :)

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Have a read of the stickies at the top. I'm sure there's some detail on auto photography.
Generally though a slower shutter and panning with the car will give the motion you are after.

BG DCI
Just a quick one. Have a family friend who is mad keen on photography and has been talking about new lenses for my 1100D.

Had a look on ebay at a few second hand ones and got so confused with all the differences.

I want one to replace my kit lens of 18-55 and possibly with IS if the budget allows.

Think I saw a second hand cannon 60-135 or something like that for around £100..

Just would like some advice on the exact lens for general use that will be a decent enough upgrade from the kit lens but also with a more usable range.

Thanks

Liam

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
'60-135 or something like that' ?!

What lens is it ? Doesn't sound like anything I've ever heard of.

If that is the case, what do you want from a 'useable range' ? If you want to get more zoom, the 135 end will be more useable to you than your current 55mm, but if you are considering taking pictures of anything less than 50m away, 60mm widest end will be utterly useless to you.

BG DCI
'60-135 or something like that' ?!

What lens is it ? Doesn't sound like anything I've ever heard of.

If that is the case, what do you want from a 'useable range' ? If you want to get more zoom, the 135 end will be more useable to you than your current 55mm, but if you are considering taking pictures of anything less than 50m away, 60mm widest end will be utterly useless to you.

Maybe they wernt the rages on the lense I wish I could remember exactly..

I would just like to upgrade to something with slightly more quality but yes with a more usable range... I k ow you can go from very close to a big zoom but not sure which lense / range to look for...

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Depends entirely what you want to shoot and how much money you have. You can get 18-300 lenses that 'do everything' (but, please don't ;) ) or 10-20 or 100-400.....

50mm f1.8 is always a good shout .. how are your photos at the moment ? What do you normally shoot ? Are you happy with your work...?

Yanoo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Williams
Is this normal that a hot pixel appeared again on my pics? Two weeks after I had purchased my 650D, I had to send it to service because more hot pixels appeared on the pics. It was repaired and was fine until now :(.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Is this normal that a hot pixel appeared again on my pics? Two weeks after I had purchased my 650D, I had to send it to service because more hot pixels appeared on the pics. It was repaired and was fine until now :(.

Defo hot pixels and not dust on sensor/lenses ??

Yanoo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Williams
Definitely hot pixel, it's a red point and independent from lenses.

Anyone tried a blackrapid sport strap?

I bought one on a whim in Barcelona last year - love it man! Here are a couple of extracts from my blog. :)

http://www.tomcash.co.uk/late-2012-camera-kit-update/ said:
I also purchased a Black Rapid RS-Sport 2 strap on a whim, because it looked amazing. Again, another awesome piece of kit! I find myself using this way more than my Lowerpro bag, when possible. It has really surprised me and I would go as far as to say that it is probably the best piece of kit I have bought on a price:satisfaction ratio, so far.

http://www.tomcash.co.uk/barcelona-2012/ said:
I even found a shop that sold Black Rapid straps and I got myself a RS-Sport 2 strap. What a piece of kit! My back was getting really hot with my LowerPro AW202 and the 87% humidity. I tried leaving my bag in the hotel and using the kit strap, which I detest (yes, I actually use my camera with no strap whatsover). The kit strap is good, but limits the speed you can access your camera for a shot, so purchasing the RS-Sport 2 seemed logical.

I had seen them before on different forums, but not once did I see their application applying to me. However, I have to say that it’s fantastic for light, effortless photography on the go. I walked the length and breadth of Barcelona for the best part of a week and this was just faultless. Easily my best photography purchase so far!

Focus ST-3
Spare battery's. Talk to me..

I have a D3100 and I want a spare battery. However, I don't want to spend £40 on a genuine one.. I hear you need a 'chipped' battery for it to work. is that right? I have found a few places that sell third party battery's for about £10 that state they are compatible for D3100's, do I trust them at this price? Has anyone bought a cheap spare for a D3100 before?

EDIT - example cheap battery... http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BJLUV8A/?tag=cliospnet01-21

Cupra

There is an option in the menu for cleaning/ mapping out dust spots. It works well for hot pixels too.

- Remove the lens and put the body cap in place on the camera [not sure if this is a must]
- Put the camera in to “manual sensor cleaning mode”. It is the same for both the 40D and 50D – Press the “Menu” button, then select the middle “yellow wrench” tab, then “Sensor Cleaning” then “Clean Manually”. You will hear – the click of the mirror coming up (so you *could* be using a swab on the sensor – but don’t do that – leave the body cap in place).
- Leave the camera in this mode for 30-60 seconds, I kept it this way for closer to 60 seconds.
- Power off the camera off – you should hear another click as the mirror drops down into place
- That was it! Test the camera and see if the dead pixels are gone – they were for me.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
How do you guys go about shooting locations you've shot before?

I'm off to Dubai in a couple of weeks, and, although it's not predominantly a photography holiday, I'll be taking a selection of gear with me.

Now, last time I went out there I took my trusty D40, kit lens and 55-200 and was really happy with the results:

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?513746-Dubai-pics

This time, I'm taking a D5100, Sigma 10-20, 35mm and 55-200, along with a tripod, cokin ND grads and MAYBE a 10 stop ND. Yep, I'm going to look a right bellend :eek:

I'm just worried that, because I was happy with the photos from last time, that this time I'm going to try too hard for the photos as I have upgraded most of my gear.

Am I being daft? Lol.

Yanoo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Williams
There is an option in the menu for cleaning/ mapping out dust spots. It works well for hot pixels too.

Thank you very much! It works well on 650D too despite it's not written in the user's manual! :)

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
How do you guys go about shooting locations you've shot before?

I'm off to Dubai in a couple of weeks, and, although it's not predominantly a photography holiday, I'll be taking a selection of gear with me.

Now, last time I went out there I took my trusty D40, kit lens and 55-200 and was really happy with the results:

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?513746-Dubai-pics

This time, I'm taking a D5100, Sigma 10-20, 35mm and 55-200, along with a tripod, cokin ND grads and MAYBE a 10 stop ND. Yep, I'm going to look a right bellend :eek:

I'm just worried that, because I was happy with the photos from last time, that this time I'm going to try too hard for the photos as I have upgraded most of my gear.

Am I being daft? Lol.

Yes ;) With that gear your photos will undoubtedly be better, and I’m assuming your skills aren’t going to get worse. I’ve shot locations more than once with the same gear and got better photos the second time, it’s all practise :)

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Finally got round to ordering a 10 stop filter this morning, went for the Haida mk2 in the end as it was cheap and apparently uses B&W glass. Hope it arrives by saturday as I fly on sunday!

Found a cool app too called LongTime, it basically calculates the correct exposure time for your ND :)

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Finally got round to ordering a 10 stop filter this morning, went for the Haida mk2 in the end as it was cheap and apparently uses B&W glass. Hope it arrives by saturday as I fly on sunday!

Found a cool app too called LongTime, it basically calculates the correct exposure time for your ND :)

Its a cracking filter for the price. I've not had any issues with mine.
Also, I use an app (android) called ND filter calculator. Sounds like pretty much the same thing but they do work well.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Excellent mate, I'm looking forward to using it. Never tried using an ND before, so should be a challenge.

Also recieved my Cokin grads last night. Had a quick play this morning, for the price I'm impressed!

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
ND filter arrived! Sorted for my flight on sunday. Go to test it out and my remote shutter doesn't work; assume batteries have gone. Go out to get batteries, still doesn't work.

So tomorrow I need to hunt down a photo shop that sells remote shutters. Grrrr, is nothing ever simple?!

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I'd say the sigma. My most used lens now.
I'd like to have a week with a 30mm (not sure of there's a 35 for canon) as I've has a day with the 30mm sigma and really liked it.

I'd say the sigma. My most used lens now.
I'd like to have a week with a 30mm (not sure of there's a 35 for canon) as I've has a day with the 30mm sigma and really liked it.
I'd second that.

I'd like to try a 35/30mm prime, but even with that said, I would still go for the Sigma. It'll have far more application.

My 10-24 is pretty much my standard lens now.

Mental 172 Cup
I'd second that.

I'd like to try a 35/30mm prime, but even with that said, I would still go for the Sigma. It'll have far more application.

My 10-24 is pretty much my standard lens now.

Is that a tamron or a Nikon lens? What would be the advantage of that over the Sigma 10-20?

Mine is a Tamron for Canon. I can't see the benefit of that over a Sigma, personally. In fact, I originally wanted the 8-16mm by Sigma, but they never had it in stock and I didn't have enough euros for the Canon 10-24.

From what I hear, there's little in it where Tamron vs Sigma is concerned anyway.

Love my Tamron WA though. My best lens purchase so far.

Twingo Dynamique
Ok so I presume this has been covered somewhere, but after seeing a picture somewhere on here, and someone saying that it is needed... which Circular Polarising filter should I buy?

Also as I am new to this fancy photography stuff, (instead of just clicking the button ;) ) when would I use it? pretty much all the time? just for cars at shows etc, moving cars..?? :S I understand that the polariser cuts out glare by removing an angle of light waves, but just want to know what effect this has, does a circular one have (in minute miniscule terms) circles in the filter, i.e. lets through discs of light rather than straight lines? hope I dont sound too barmy... :)

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Right JHead, basically you can use it to remove the reflection or 'shine' off any surface to a certain degree. For car shots there will be no glare or reflection on the paint or windows when the polariser is rotated to the point when you see the reflections disappear and it's just a plain surface. The circular ones are just so you can turn the filter (a bit like a focus or zoom ring on the filter) and that changes what is being polarised, this will change from place to place so before every shot you'll need to turn the filter until where you want to polarise had been polarised.

I'd go for James's suggestion but any of the big filter manufacturers will be fine, such as Hoya, Tiffen or B&W. Get one and try it, as you turn the filter ring you'll see those shiny surfaces loose thier shine-if you will-and for car shots this is a desirable effect so that you don't get reflections all over the car and not being able to see the colour and interior. In plastics of headlights on some cars you can get a cool rainbow effect too. Oh and lastly they can be used to deepen the blues of the sky for landscapes and stuff to avoid blown out skies.

​Just get one and have a play anyway :)

I know in the end i'll probably just buy a "proper" one.... but for this price... which is about half that of one filter.... worth a shot? :S i'm looking for a new lens cap anyway but then again thats only £0.99..... :S

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7PCS-58mm...raphy_DigitalCamAccess_RL&hash=item1c2f800f50

At that price I expect it'll be like sticking a giant cataract in front of your lens.

Just pony up the extra and buy something like a Hoya, they're cheap enough and the quality will still be miles above the stuff in the link.

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
You can buy them separately, I did the same thing and bought a cheap one for my kit lens at first and it was fine tbh, go for it and see how you find it.

I know in the end i'll probably just buy a "proper" one.... but for this price... which is about half that of one filter.... worth a shot?
smiley5.gif
i'm looking for a new lens cap anyway but then again thats only £0.99.....
smiley5.gif

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7PCS-58mm...raphy_DigitalCamAccess_RL&hash=item1c2f800f50

Why spend hundreds on a camera and lenses and then put some 99p rubbish on it?

Kind've like buying a GTR and putting some £10 part worns on...

Don't be silly.