ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Photography Chat and Questions Thread

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
I saw your wanted thread on TP Nial!

Looks like 1.4 just ain't cutting it anymore!!!

Lol! I’ve been saying I've always promised myself I’d get one at some stage, used one in Jessops and it sealed the deal. I’m doing more portraiture and music related work at the moment too so it made sense to have that wow factor look to the images when wide open :)

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Last edited:
anyone recommend a good walkabout lens for my 550d i currently have 50 1.8, 70-200L and 18-55

just feel i can do with getting rid of the 18-55 and getting something else i dont really do landscape work so doesnt have to be very wide

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
The Canon 17-55mm F2.8 is said to be good for crop cameras as a walkabout lens. Nice range, good performance, constant F2.8 aperture :)

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I've got the Sigma version.
It's broke but it does the job I want it to do (night shots at 2.8 at 17mm)

The aperture blades stuck at 2.8 which is a common fault with these apparently, so when you dial in f8, the camera obviously sets up to expose for this but the lens is actually stuck at 2.8 and over exposes

They do go for peanuts though, but be careful due to above faults (if you were thinking of a cheaper option)

.Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi
Has anybody tried the Canon EOS M? I may buy one later as Argos have a pretty good deal on right now.

Yeah I have one, it's a great little camera to be fair. I got the lens adapter with mine so usually have a 50mm or 17-55mm f2.8 strapped to it.

It's odd not having a conventional viewfinder, and it also being touch screen but once you get used to that it's easy to navigate.

14319516429_d69f45be92_c.jpg
RenaultSport Megane R26 by feirny, on Flickr

I took that with it, pretty sharp I think.

.Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi
^ Great shot!

What a camera, for the price it's an awesome buy. I think it'll be perfect when I can't be bothered to lug my 6D around - will take it away on holiday next week to give it a proper test!

Here's an out of the camera shot, no touching up apart from resizing - pretty impressive imo:

14752277647_802e94e0e0_c.jpg
EOS M Test by SimonNicholls27, on Flickr

Been doing some tidying up today and found an 18-55 Canon kit lens.
It doesn't work, but I have no idea what the issue is.
Does it have any value at all and how might I get rid of it?

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Been doing some tidying up today and found an 18-55 Canon kit lens.
It doesn't work, but I have no idea what the issue is.
Does it have any value at all and how might I get rid of it?

Depends what one it is ? If it's 5+ years old, I'd guess you'd get £50 for it tops, in full working condition.

If you've nothing to lose - give it a gentle tap perhaps incase any of the blade are stuck ?

Yep, the one I replaced it with was only £55 on Talk Photography, barely used too.
Might as well stick it up on TP and see if anyone wants it.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
What monitors do you guys use? Are they calibrated?

I'm giving a talk on long exposure next week at our camera club, so I tested my laptop with the club projector and the colours looked different. The black and white had a blue cast on my laptop and the colours seemed a bit off too when comparing the screens. I checked my images on two other laptops and everything looked like it did on the projector, so it seems my colour calibration is off on my laptop.

I'm borrowing a spider next week to try and sort my colours out but I'm now debating if I should get a new monitor for when I'm editing, or maybe get a whole new desktop pc.

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
I’ve noticed that the contrast of my pictures vary between my Mac and some PCs, there seemed to be less contrast on the PCs I’ve viewed my images on. My pictures on my Mac screen seem to be similar to how printed ones have come out so I guess it’s fairly accurate.

I use a calibrated IPS panel connected to my mac book pro. I used to use a pc laptop which again was calibrated and printed perfectly.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Well I should be getting my laptop calibrated which will do for now. I might take my old monitor and see if I can calibrate that at the same time.

Now, another question for you guys...
The wife is looking at a new lens. She has a couple of friends ask her to do some weddings for them (I'll be doing one with her but I can't get the time off for another)

She's looking at a 70-200. She's looked at the canon f2.8 non IS but for a similar price can get the Sigma with IS (£800 ish) Tamron is a few hundred more, around £1300 I think. Canon with IS is a fair bit more again.
The canon f4 IS is again a similar price to the non IS 2.8.
This lens will be used on a Canon 50d until she goes full frame. She's also looking at the Sigma 17-50 2.8 as another wedding lens.

Anyone had any dealings with above lenses? Compared them or know of any problems first hand. Can find faults and praises all over the Web but I'd like some first hand opinions.

Last edited:

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
I have the non-IS Canon 70-200mm F2.8L and it’s a fantastic lens as everyone says. I can use it in low light with no problems, but then again my camera can handle high ISOs better than a 50D could. I can’t comment on the other two, I would prefer the L lens personally, but I suppose the IS of the others could be helpful.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I've seen a lot of shots with your lens but not many with either of the others.
Also read that as the 2.8 non IS and the 4 IS are similar prices, it's best to go for the 2.8

Decisions... I'll pass on your comments to her.

I'm just saving for a 6d & 24-105 f4 that I've seen.

Italian 3.2 V6
Guys if you were to print and sell framed work what would be the entry level dslr for this? Would it have to be FF? Or could u get away using a good crop sensor dslr..?

I'm planning on getting a 6d (24-105) this weekend but before I spend the money I want to make sure I'm not going overkill.. My 50d did a great job on computer but I never printed anything with it..

Cold feet n all that.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I've printed from my 550d and the images have been fine.
I've only printed to 20x16 inches though.
I suppose it depends how big you want to to print to.

.Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi
Depends what you will be taking photos of however I think a 6D maybe a little overkill for beginners.
I'd take a look at a 70D or 7D and spend the rest on decent lenses (24-105 is a great lens though ..!)

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
He's not a beginner, had a decent setup for a while before selling it iirc.
II think I'll be going the same setup soon, deals to be had.

Italian 3.2 V6
Not massive framed work just general wall mounted pictures for around the house but I'm anal about quality!

I think I'm just going to go for the 6d and stop being a f4nny and get some More L series lenses. I'm sure I won't be disappointed! Just thought the money saving might be better spent on going towards another lens if a crop sensor was up to the job but I worry il be disappointed with print quality from a crop.

Last edited by a moderator: