ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Photography Chat and Questions Thread

I've finally got myself an SLR, went for a 1200d in the end is i got it quite cheap, bought myself a 50mm 1.8 lens and have only had it 2 days but i'm loving it, got myself a copy of CS6 too but haven't a clue what to do on it haha, what do you think my next lens should be on a budget? 70 - 300mm?

Look out for the 55-250 STM lens. It's much improved on the older version. Very very sharp for a budget telephoto.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Those vids look interesting @Geddes , where's the actual tutorials? I'm assuming paid for (I didn't watch until the end of each vid).
The first one is the best very interesting watch. What he does is stitch / blend images together which I haven't tried yet. Yeah the tutorials a very expensive from what the video describes you do get some good info but at that price it is over priced buts it's what you get for it really.

Him and his wife travel the world taking pics, both together have done over a million air miles.

The first one is the best very interesting watch. What he does is stitch / blend images together which I haven't tried yet. Yeah the tutorials a very expensive from what the video describes you do get some good info but at that price it is over priced buts it's what you get for it really.

Him and his wife travel the world taking pics, both together have done over a million air miles.
I saw the bracketing shots he did, clever idea.

I've finally got myself an SLR, went for a 1200d in the end is i got it quite cheap, bought myself a 50mm 1.8 lens and have only had it 2 days but i'm loving it, got myself a copy of CS6 too but haven't a clue what to do on it haha, what do you think my next lens should be on a budget? 70 - 300mm?

Look out for the 55-250 STM lens. It's much improved on the older version. Very very sharp for a budget telephoto.
That's what I went for in the end! It arrived yesterday and is incredible, can't believe how quiet it is

If I was using Canon and on a crop sensor, it would be in my bag! Simply awesome for the money!

Yes, the 55 250 is a superb lens. I've had the new one for a while and it's a great walk around on my 600D.

In other news, I've been organising my external HDD and after a full day, I still have over 25,000 photos from the last 10 years still to go through! How do we manage to take and keep that many photos!?! My wife went through her stuff and deleted 30GB worth of duplicate photos! Insanity.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
another very interesting watch on Composition, some really nice images too in this video

Reactions: C.J
After a new lens!
Going to the Falklands after Christmas for 4 months so wanting to get decent photos. The camera is a D3200 so not full frame. When I was on ascension island I was gutted that the lens I had couldn't capture enough of the milky way as I would have liked.

Looking to spend 300 maybe stretch to 400, i want (if possible) to get a wide field, mainly for night photographs but bonus points if it can be a decent all rounder :) any suggestions guys?

If anyone has said lens with a similar sensor size as mine, any sample photos?

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Sigma 10-20 f3.5-4 will do you well for crop.
What other lenses do you have? I've used a 50mm 1.8 to get the milky way, you just don't get much of it in (especially crop)

I've also got a Sigma 17-35 2.8-3.5 but would be about 25mm for a crop sensor.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
20461108491_5370d7a70a_z.jpg
My Picture on Local TV by Mark Geddes, on Flickr
I sent ITV another 2 pics the other week and they viewed the Durham Cathedral shot last Tuesday. I didn't it was going to be showed until someone told me at a shop that they saw my image on tv

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I have a 50mm and the 2 kit lenses (18-55 -55-200 :smile:
I know a few people that use the Samyang 14mm
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004SH6OSI/?tag=cliospnet01-21

That or the sigma 10-20 which would probably have more use for daytime etc and you can fit filters to it.

Or a couple of alternatives

http://www.fotosense.co.uk/samyang-...=70befff07da0f55da1d0609589c023c5&fo_s=gplauk

And I picked one of these up last month for £100 off eBay.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/zenit/zenitar-16mm.htm

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
I know from seeing Tony's style is in his B&W images top class by the way. I can't remember who mentioned it. I'm talking about "Styles" i think he's found his style. For me i haven't found it yet, i know i like my land and seascapes but may need more time before it kicks in. Do you come aware of it or or does it come without realising it?

Cayman S Edition 1
It just happens. When I was shooting a lot of glamour, I developed a certain style of lighting / edit. Never realised until one of the models mentioned she liked my style of work lol.

I know from seeing Tony's style is in his B&W images top class by the way. I can't remember who mentioned it. I'm talking about "Styles" i think he's found his style. For me i haven't found it yet, i know i like my land and seascapes but may need more time before it kicks in. Do you come aware of it or or does it come without realising it?
Didn't even know i had a style, so i guess it just happens.

How many of you shoot in RAW, and edit only RAW?

I only shoot in JPG. Although I understand the benefits of RAW, I've not felt I need to, and the JPGs I have are satisfactory for me to edit.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I only shoot RAW. I'll post a shot later comparing my before and after of a milky way shot last week. You wouldn't be able to get half as much detail if you edited a jpeg.

Shooting jpeg is fine for a lot of people though, but if you really want to get the most out of the image then you should really shoot RAW.

Clio 182 Track Car
I'll often chop and change shooting between JPEG and RAW depending on what i'm going to be doing with the images. I find if i shoot RAW all the time i'll up fannying about editing images that aren't that significant.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
I only shoot RAW now and edit only RAW. Just the other week my Dad wanted a few pics of the dog i just shot it in JPEG they not bothered and can't tell the difference on the editing side. As said if it's something not significant JPEG and if it's for my photography RAW all the way

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
So this is a screenshot of my Lightroom showing the before and after of my Perseids shot from last week. I wouldn't have been able to do half as much to bring out the Milky way if I had shot in JPEG. Even my timelapse shots are taken in RAW, albeit medium size for space saving/faster editing.

20114591713_20f6b55caa_c.jpg
Before and after
by Aaron, on Flickr

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Had some shots published in Amateur Photographer this week. I sent in 12 and they chose these which I'm fairly happy with. They all keep a similar theme being night time/north Wales

Excuse the crap photo, the print isn't brilliant and neither was the light.

3c35b64cadf05ed1fdf3b21a45ed663d.jpg
very good Aaron, did you send them pics now and again through flickr and then contact you. or did they just contact you out of the blue? very nice pics like

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
very good Aaron, did you send them pics now and again through flickr and then contact you. or did they just contact you out of the blue? very nice pics like
I sent a few through via email (it's on their website) and they replied a week or so later asking for more images and info on each one. They sent me a form to fill out for each image, camera details, location etc. I had to send a disk of the images, the paperwork and print a contact sheet (thumbnail images with titles on a A4 sheet of paper) to go through second selection. I had an email back last week saying I had been published and the issue details.

So this is a screenshot of my Lightroom showing the before and after of my Perseids shot from last week. I wouldn't have been able to do half as much to bring out the Milky way if I had shot in JPEG. Even my timelapse shots are taken in RAW, albeit medium size for space saving/faster editing.

20114591713_20f6b55caa_c.jpg
Before and after
by Aaron, on Flickr
That's impressive.

Do you have the JPEG too? Have you attempted to edit it to match the RAW output?

I know RAW is better, but apart from when I've clipped it, I've not found JPEG to be limiting.

I've taken both RAW and JPEG and edited them identically and got similar results.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
That's impressive.

Do you have the JPEG too? Have you attempted to edit it to match the RAW output?

I know RAW is better, but apart from when I've clipped it, I've not found JPEG to be limiting.

I've taken both RAW and JPEG and edited them identically and got similar results.
I haven't got the jpeg but I might export the original again without any changes and then apply the same edits to see how it comes out.
I know the white balance will be all over the place but it will be interesting to see the result

Cupra, Fiesta ST2
This has probably been asked loads of times, but a search didn't yield much.

I have a Canon 500D with the standard kit 18-55m lens, I am wanting to get a cheap-ish zoom lens to compliment the kit lens and help get some better motorsport shots. Any recommendations for what to get?

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3

I have a Canon 500D with the standard kit 18-55m lens, I am wanting to get a cheap-ish zoom lens to compliment the kit lens and help get some better motorsport shots. Any recommendations for what to get?
I've got the same camera but haven't got a super zoom just the 24-105mm, dredz wanted a zoom lens and he's got the 55-250mm and a few on here mentioned it. I haven't done motorsport and i think 55-250 will certainly get you going for the price just over £100 is a bargain http://www.simplyelectronics.net/ma...zzvHU4KwDXWiLWCsqeA34PZ9P6H_PC7nUUaAlT78P8HAQ

Last edited:
  Clio 1.2 16v

I bought the 55-250mm STM lens, its lightweight and very sharp for a budget lens. You won't be disappointed with it

I took this with it

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
20882975171_c7b1e01cb5_b.jpg
Another picture on TV by Mark Geddes, on Flickr

Another one of my pics was shown on ITV news and weather and shown on their website last Tuesday, didn't know again about it. 2 people at the shop saw my picture on tv and told me just the other day.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
@Aaron.. Will the almost full moon give off extra light in the sky as well as foreground? So doing a milky way shot at full moon isn't as good being a full moon?

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
@Aaron.. Will the almost full moon give off extra light in the sky as well as foreground? So doing a milky way shot at full moon isn't as good being a full moon?
Correct. The sky won't be as dark as the glow from the moon will wash a lot out.
Shorter exposures should do the trick. 10-20 seconds should be OK if 30 is too bright.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Correct. The sky won't be as dark as the glow from the moon will wash a lot out.
Shorter exposures should do the trick. 10-20 seconds should be OK if 30 is too bright.
Awesome, just need to get out tonight with it being clear. It's a 45 min drive there to where i need to be. Might as well go out with it being clear and get some practice in and have a look around there see what's there and get some ideas and maybe next time get some better ones with it not being full moon. I've been doing homework on google and flickr on old pics and went on google maps and have 2 ideas and not sure if i can get the milky way in the shot as i might have to tilt the camera quit high. we shall see

Also as i've said got some penshaw monuments pics. no cloud at all. i might edit them as i silhouette with the sun as a star burst or something.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
It's bothering me for a while now, looking on other people's images and looking on mine. Mine just don't seem to have that colour punch, the richness in colours. Do you think it's my editing or just been on the 500D with it being what it is?