ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Photography Chat and Questions Thread

Anyone else up? I was going to head out to the fields, but ended up laid out in the back garden.

Managed to get a few pictures, but I only have a 55mm, so obviously not great. Will upload in the morning.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
I woke up strangley enough about 02:45 with no alarm. Maybe the moon was shouting at me lol. I did take some test shots before hand too just the moon on it's own at about 147mm at cropped sensor. The ones later the moon was way Bigger when it was just rising from the East. Would of liked it bigger if i had a bigger lens. Pretty much all i got is a dot on my images lol

640mm that will be a stonker of a image @JamesBryan

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
This was off the camera screen

IMG_20150928_002445.jpg

IMG_20150928_022802.jpg

IMG_20150928_030514.jpg

I woke up strangley enough about 02:45 with no alarm. Maybe the moon was shouting at me lol.
Strange, that's what happened with me. My alarm was set for 3am, but I woke up at 2.45am.

Managed to take a few, but as I only had the 55mm on a FF it's not great.

This is the full size as I saw it on the camera:

21618856659_2b08c0c0a2_b.jpg

21808343625_08b751674e_b.jpg

21805770505_21c2c1d41d_b.jpg

21183030034_3b3341286e_b.jpg

Last edited:

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I have simplified my whole kit and im finding myself wanting to take my camera out more than ever!
What are you using now?
Didn't you used to use a Nikon dslr?

I noticed how cumbersome by 6d was the other day when out with the little one. Might have to look at another, smaller system for walking around.

What are you using now?
Didn't you used to use a Nikon dslr?

I noticed how cumbersome by 6d was the other day when out with the little one. Might have to look at another, smaller system for walking around.

D750 with 35mm and 85mm all in nice compact bag! Really enjoying photography again, especially with the 35.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
I'm off down Bristol for a few days, any of you lot been there off any spots to take photo's most likely day shots and might be lucky for sun set shots. Going down with mates to see a mate there and they got no patience for photography

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I'm off down Bristol for a few days, any of you lot been there off any spots to take photo's most likely day
shots and might be lucky for sunset shots. Going down with mates to see a mate there and they got no patience for photography

For sunset, try to get to one of the Severn bridges (M4 is best I think). I went to that one when I was there for the night. You can park near enough under it and you get to look across the river.
15223749643_e2e1a2665e_c.jpg
The Bridge
by Aaron, on Flickr

Also, you have the Clifton suspension bridge which I didn't get to. I didn't get to much actually, I just went down for a gig then drive back that night.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
For sunset, try to get to one of the Severn bridges (M4 is best I think). I went to that one when I was there for the night. You can park near enough under it and you get to look across the river.
15223749643_e2e1a2665e_c.jpg
The Bridge
by Aaron, on Flickr

Also, you have the Clifton suspension bridge which I didn't get to. I didn't get to much actually, I just went down for a gig then drive back that night.

I noticed there's 2 bridges at bristol and i looked on things to do in bristol and noticed that Clifton bridge, where abouts is it? I'm making a list of places to visit and one of them is Cheddar Gorge. I'm not driving and with mates so be limited on when, where, time i have.

That bridge does look good Aaron.

Another vote for Clifton Bridge. It's in, Clifton (my brother lives there overlooking The Downs).

If you go to The Downs too, you can get some amazing views near the bridge. Or near the observation tower.

Cheddar is nice, my parents live near it (Axbridge), and it's definitely worth seeing. You can go to the caves too.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Another vote for Clifton Bridge. It's in, Clifton (my brother lives there overlooking The Downs).

If you go to The Downs too, you can get some amazing views near the bridge. Or near the observation tower.

Cheddar is nice, my parents live near it (Axbridge), and it's definitely worth seeing. You can go to the caves too.
What's the Downs? I've seen a pic of the Gorge with the reservoir in the background, i'm after a shot like that. When you get there where's best to park up and best angle and side of the gorge?

edit,, ust googled it and there's a park i noticed and a long line of trees side by side. That cold make a nice picture, misty or nice light and set or rise

edit,, i'm staying nesr Stoke near the M5 and M4 roundabout. Anything worth visiting near there walking distance?

Last edited:
  Cupra, Fiesta ST2
For doing long exposure shots of water, do you do them when light is going or can you do them during daylight with ND filters?

Clio 1.2 16v
For doing long exposure shots of water, do you do them when light is going or can you do them during daylight with ND filters?
Have a look on youtube mate, theres lots of video tutorials showing different filters for what times of day etc, @Geddes is your man for asking if you want more help though his long exposures are epic

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Ten stop ND Filter will let you exposure for up to 5 minutes if you want, aperture and ISO dependant.
Haida are a good cheap (compared to the others) brand that gives little colour cast.

.Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi
I recently got a GoPro Hero 4 and thought I'd try out the night mode - pretty impressive imo:

Taken with 30 second exposures with an ISO of 800.
I'm going to get the battery pack I think - the internal battery only lasted for 2 hours.

Cupra, Fiesta ST2
What can 'go wrong' with a lens?

I don't want to be seen to be blaming equipment for poor pictures, but I have just got a 55-250mm lens and the pictures it produces are miles better than the 18-55mm lens. Both are the standard Canon jobbies, same quality. Yet in the same conditions the 55-250 pictures are noticeable better. I have yet to take it out for any decent shots to get a true comparison though.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
They're not the same quality though.
Massive difference between the zoom ranges too. You won't get the same quality at 55mm on both.

I used to love my 55-250. Produced some really good images for a cheap lens.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
What can 'go wrong' with a lens?

I don't want to be seen to be blaming equipment for poor pictures, but I have just got a 55-250mm lens and the pictures it produces are miles better than the 18-55mm lens. Both are the standard Canon jobbies, same quality. Yet in the same conditions the 55-250 pictures are noticeable better. I have yet to take it out for any decent shots to get a true comparison though.

Glass quality makes a massive difference, but other things like focus issues and dodgey lens elements will affect it.

Cupra, Fiesta ST2
I would have thought the quality of the 2 are comparable, but I can't account for what has happened to the 18-55mm before I owned it as I bought it with the camera used.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Lightroom is the one to get.
It's also one of the only (maybe the only) Adobe programmes that doesn't dial up to check the license so a quick browse on YouTube will get the serial numbers.

AdDaMan

ClioSport Club Member
It's also one of the only (maybe the only) Adobe programmes that doesn't dial up to check the license so a quick browse on YouTube will get the serial numbers.
Sweet thanks.
Will I have to go on a course to learn how to use it fully though? [emoji1]

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Sweet thanks.
Will I have to go on a course to learn how to use it fully though? [emoji1]
You shouldn't, most of the stuff is on the right hand side of the screen and is fairly straight forward.
A few YouTube videos might give you a heads up if you get lots though.
The good thing about LR is that you don't edit the original file, that will always stay safe, you edit a digital copy.

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5

Although you can block the other programmes from accessing the internet via your firewall and turnoff automatic updates.. ;)

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Although you can block the other programmes from accessing the internet via your firewall and turnoff automatic updates.. :wink:

Can you? I'm not that clued up tbh.
I remember trying to do something like that with an old photoshop but had to change registry info and a few other settings and it never actually worked for me after following instructions.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Ended up getting rid of my old crop body and a couple of lenses. Walked out of the shop with a new Samyang 14mm 2.8. Full manual but there is very little distortion which is good considering the ultra wide angle.
IMG_20151222_170331.jpg