ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Photography Chat and Questions Thread

Starlet_gt

ClioSport Club Member
  VW T5.1
What's a good starter DSLR? I've been using a fujifilm s4240 bridge camera and I'm hooked. Would like to upgrade in a few months.

Thanks

I would say anything Nikon or Canon. I'm not going to force you on one or the other, as it's very much personal preference....but it used to be that Nikon were better than Canon at the entry level cameras, not sure if it's still like that these days.

Clio 172 Cup
What's a good starter DSLR? I've been using a fujifilm s4240 bridge camera and I'm hooked. Would like to upgrade in a few months.

Thanks

Best advice I ever got was goto your local camera shop and try a few and see which feels best in your hand as they are all slightly different size and layout.
Some say canon are the only option and some will say Nikon is the best in the work lol but in reality they are all about the same when its your first.

I have the canon 500d which I love :)
What ever you decide on just get out take photos and enjoy

Lunar Mk1 & Flamer
LOL! know anywhere with basic guides? Ive been searching for ages yet for find anything conclusive.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
LOL! know anywhere with basic guides? Ive been searching for ages yet for find anything conclusive.

Without wishing to sound like a specialton... what are you planning on doing ? I'm assuming you've no idea what you're doing (not wishing any offence) as you're asking for basic guides, and therefore I assume you haven't got much equipment ?

Do you have a flashgun ?

Assuming you have just the one, try multiple shots and StarStax them together when you get home..

:evil:

Lunar Mk1 & Flamer
No problem, lol

Just wanted to add a bit more depth to a car shot. got, kit is 7D, nifty fifty, sigma 10-20, 17-85is, 100-400isL and 1x Canon 430ex flash gun (but planning on buhying anther)

just wanted a rough idea what i need to feck about with multiple flashes on a car shoot.

Star stax is wicked idea with one gun not thought of that!

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
Yeah here's mine www.facebook.com/jaysboudoirphotography

I had a look at the D800 and just didn't like the grip, so I went for a 5D mk III. Like they say, you're either Canon or Nikon!!

Would also just say after speaking with other photographers, the D800 shows so much detail, it can actually be a pain in photoshop becuase of any flaws it may show up. Still a great bit of kit tho.

No problem, lol

Just wanted to add a bit more depth to a car shot. got, kit is 7D, nifty fifty, sigma 10-20, 17-85is, 100-400isL and 1x Canon 430ex flash gun (but planning on buhying anther)

just wanted a rough idea what i need to feck about with multiple flashes on a car shoot.

Star stax is wicked idea with one gun not thought of that!

Google is your friend for stuff like the above, you will find some stuff. I would suggest checking out david hobbys blog (the strobist) you will pick up some good tips and advice from his strobist 101 blog.

Once you have got the hang of using them off camera then just play about with it. Practice is the key, I am unsure with canons but you might need a set of triggers to fire them off camera.

I shot this using two studio heads and a flash gun, with a shoot through umbrella on one of them.

7939775962_d0a745571b_c.jpg

Mental 172 Cup
Epic photo mate.. I would be happy with results like that.. Exactly what gear do you have?

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
Yeah here's mine www.facebook.com/jaysboudoirphotography

I had a look at the D800 and just didn't like the grip, so I went for a 5D mk III. Like they say, you're either Canon or Nikon!!

Would also just say after speaking with other photographers, the D800 shows so much detail, it can actually be a pain in photoshop becuase of any flaws it may show up. Still a great bit of kit tho.

Epic photo mate.. I would be happy with results like that.. Exactly what gear do you have?

That was shot with, two proline 300w heads and a sb600. Using a Nikon d300s.

You can fire Speedlites (and Chinese eBay versions) off the 7D so no need for triggers until it all gets a bit out of hand ;)

lol! Its far to easy to get carried away with speedlights but, I have never used more than 4 at once to be fair, My triggers allow up to 4 but only in manual and then you could slave more I suppose but no need lol! or you can run two using the onboard Nikon i-ttl wireless.

Dan...

ClioSport Club Member

Thanks

Ive just got my first DSLR Camera a Nikon D3000 and tbh it's a brilliant starter IMO although tbf I don't have anything to compare it to. But it's got a guide feature with it that is really useful and it wasn't too expensive compare with others. I don't have much knowledge or experience but I've managed to capture some shots I'm quite impressed with I love it! I want to take photos all the time haha!

RIP Dan
I would let the camera autoexposure (in A mode) for the building. As it will be dark (I'm guessing), it will be a relatively longer exposure. This will cause the lit windows to overexposure, possibly a lot. So take another exposure just for the windows, you'll probably have to do this manually, by using exposure compensation (or use manual mode).

So you should end up with two photos. The main photo, of the building.....and another darker exposure just for the windows. You can then blend the two later on.

Forget exposure bracketing, I would just use exposure compensation (but you can do the same thing with bracketing).

GBH14 - Exposure bracketing is a way of taking a series of photos of different exposures, normally either side of the normal exposure (so one darker and one brighter). So for example, you could exposure bracket for 1 stop either side. So the camera would take three photos, one at normal exposure, one 1 stop under and one 1 stop over.
It's quite common to use this when doing HDR photos, as you capture photos preserving highlight details and shadow details. Have a google, as it's easier to see with images.

Brazo - it's the new X100 camera. An upgraded 'S' model. More MP, better AF, improved this...more of that....the usual!

Cheers Dan and Brazo, so just 2 shots using exposure comp then?

What prog do you use to blend?

I have a Mac and Photomatix essentials??

Renault Clio 172 Cup
Just a quick question :)

I recently bought myself a Canon 500D with the standard 18-35mm lense

Could anyone give me a rough idea on settings or the best mode to set the camera to for taking pics of cars?

I'm going to the Autosport show Sunday and I'm hoping to get some fab photos!

Any help would be hugely appreciated, Jake

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
The exif data (if you click on the link and look at the bottom right of the page) says 10mm, so for your camera Piers that’s what it’d be.

Lunar Mk1 & Flamer
yeah that looks like a wide lens for sure!

There are 3 lens i know of 2 sigma 10-20mm lens an F3 and an F4.5 (i have the 4.5) and the canon 10-22, f3.5

To get the full frame equivalent aperture you simply multiply by the crop factor I.e. the size of the sensor in relation to a full frame sensor.

Focus ST-3
Being a newb to photography this is probably a pretty stupid question... but Im looking at different flash options..

Am I right in thinking that if I have a flash on my camera and another 1 or 2 flashes located around the subject, set in slave mode, that they will trigger when they see the flash on the camera body?

And if I had a 4 channel wireless flash trigger, I could have multiple flashes set up around the subject that would all trigger when a picture is taken?

Are these two thing not pretty similar? is there any advantage doing it one way or the other?

again, sorry if this is a stupid question..

clio sold :(
Its not a full on proper pro camera but did any of you guys see the news about Fuji's Hs50exr thats out in march.??
I got a hs20exr as a christmas gift last year and its a great all rounder I think. I got some great pics on holiday & zoo's / car shows throughout 2012. So I think im going to be swapping it for the 50 and will try and get more into photography to make use of it.

So prepare for lots of Q's coming sooooon.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Jessops heading in to administration. Doesn't really surprise me though as they are very overpriced. Internet wins again.

Hope that there's a fire sale soon though as I quite fancy the Sigma 10-22.

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
What's happens if you have outstanding finance with them and they go in to administration?

Focus ST-3
What's happens if you have outstanding finance with them and they go in to administration?

Normally the finance is provided by a third party, so you technically dont owe Jessops anything, you owe the finance company. So you will still have to pay.

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
Damn! Yea the finance is under written so means I still owe it :( it's not much its just on 0% there's about 2 months left.

Focus ST-3
tbh it will probably be a month or so until they actually go into administration anyway. Must admit, I did scurry off to check if their finance was provided externally....