ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Photography Chat and Questions Thread

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
They look decent. I'm only on my phone but will have a properlook tomorrow on the laptop.
What do I get for being the 100th "like"?

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
I'm going on holiday tomorrow, I never really use shutter priority. I'm either in Aperture or manual( or using my Fuji x10 in exr).

Any tips do shooting in shutter , I'm on a city break so probably wanting to add a little blur to certain movements etc.

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
The only tip would be to get used to using exposure compensation, that’ll give you some control on the overall exposure given that the in camera metering isn’t always exactly right.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Ok cool, if you shooting a slightly longer exposure isn't their a risk of lowing highlights etc?

Yanoo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Williams
I'm planning to buy a fix lens. What do you think which one is the better for average photography usage (portrait, family pics, cars etc.) on an APS-C body?
Canon 50 mm f/1.4 USM (good optical quality but expensive)
Canon 50 mm f/1.8 MKII (very cheap, poor build quality but outstanding optical quality, having issues with AF at open apertures)
Canon 50 mm f/2.5 macro (cheap, poor build quality but good optical performance)

Comments are welcome! :)

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Ok cool, if you shooting a slightly longer exposure isn't their a risk of lowing highlights etc?

Yeah it's just a case of balancing the exposure so that you get the effect you want without destroying the image by blowing it out, ND filters are highly recommended for that.

I'm planning to buy a fix lens. What do you think which one is the better for average photography usage (portrait, family pics, cars etc.) on an APS-C body?
Canon 50 mm f/1.4 USM (good optical quality but expensive)
Canon 50 mm f/1.8 MKII (very cheap, poor build quality but outstanding optical quality, having issues with AF at open apertures)
Canon 50 mm f/2.5 macro (cheap, poor build quality but good optical performance)

Comments are welcome! :)
I have the Canon 50 mm f/1.8 MKII and it hunts SO bad sometimes. With that said, it's my favourite lens.

Niall has a Sigma F/1.4 and the quality is amazing. Apparently as good as, if not better than the Canon version. ;)

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Do be careful with the Sigma though, some of them require some AF micro adjust so if you don’t have that on your body then I’d play it safe and get the Canon. If you do get a bad one then you can send it off to Sigma for calibration and they’ll even allow you to send the body in with the lens and they’ll adjust the lens for your body :)

Cupra
I had the canon 50mm f1.4 and wasn't that impressed with the quality between f1.4 and 2.2. My focus motor also started playing up, which is apparently a common problem too. I'd go with the sigma.

If you want to use it as a walkabout lens, then the Sigma 30mm f1.4 is also worth looking at. I loved it on my old 40D.

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
I had the canon 50mm f1.4 and wasn't that impressed with the quality between f1.4 and 2.2. My focus motor also started playing up, which is apparently a common problem too. I'd go with the sigma.

If you want to use it as a walkabout lens, then the Sigma 30mm f1.4 is also worth looking at. I loved it on my old 40D.

Also worth noting just from Andy’s point that the 30mm F1.4 isn’t full frame compatable. The Sigma 50 is the way to go unless you can afford the 50mm F1.2L.

6 days into my 14 day honeymoon, my Fuji 55-200 dies...second one in a month, arrrrggghhhh!

Once this trip is over I'm seriously considering a D7100 as size will no longer be an issue. I love my Fuji with a passion, but I need a telephoto and I've completely lost confidence in it.

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Not like you to switch camera systems Ukaskew...;)

Good choice though, I handled one in Jessops the other week and I was impressed with it.

What is the issue with the lens by the way?

Not like you to switch camera systems Ukaskew...;)

Good choice though, I handled one in Jessops the other week and I was impressed with it.

What is the issue with the lens by the way?

It won't focus over 100mm and the barrel grinds a fair bit, exactly the same issue as my first one. I love the X-E1, telephoto aside it's my favourite camera full stop. I could, I guess, get a used D90 and 70-300 VR with the money from a lens refund (£600) and stick with the X-E1 for everything else.

zabu5agy.jpg

Bought 2 nd filters aswell (52mm and 58mm) although they turn the picture blue on max. Maybe I just need a play about with them theyre both hama nd2-400

Just pulling your leg dude. :) It's a good shout.

Then again, not sure why anyone takes your advice. I've yet to see you post a good picture. :rasp:

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Oh yeah sorry guys, I’ll have so duplicate the photos to some lower res versions for the site in future, when setting it up I’ve just used the normal images to save time.

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Actually, after changing the theme it seems that the theme was the problem, I’ve now changed the theme and it seems a lot quicker, let me know :)

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
s**t your 15. I need to start practicing!!

Quick question:

My friend wants a photo like this with him playing his instruments. Is this done with just one remote flashgun?

sunset-wedding.jpg

Last edited:
s**t your 15. I need to start practicing!!

Quick question:

My friend wants a photo like this with him playing his instruments. Is this done with just one remote flashgun?

View attachment 103083

Like has been said, it does look like one light source from the upper right of the subjects. I think the tog took base shot to capture the sky and then the main picture separately. Stacked with vignetted edges, I think...