ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Photography in the rain

A4 Avant
I'm at a trackday this Sunday, the forecast is awful. So far this year whenever I've ventured out the weather has been good. How do you get around poor weather. What do you do to stop water getting on your kit or water droplets on the glass of your lense?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

I'm at a trackday this Sunday, the forecast is awful. So far this year whenever I've ventured out the weather has been good. How do you get around poor weather. What do you do to stop water getting on your kit or water droplets on the glass of your lense?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Personally...

151821463_2Ptnb-M.jpg

Not cheap, but it's a big lens to cover and £30 to keep £2.5k of equipment dry seemed reasonable. Probably the best accessory investment I've ever made.

You can make them yourself much cheaper, just get a nice thick plastic bag, an elastic band and do it Blue Peter style!

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
black plastic back, stick your finger through the side... stretch it over the end of your lens so its a tight fit then pull the bag over the body...

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
When i was at silverstone a couple of months ago, it pissed it down all day. I used one of those waterproof ponchos they give out, wrapped the camera up in it and stuck the lens through the neck hole/hood. Worked a treat!

Oil Burner
I use a binbag with a hole ripped in the end taped on the hood of camera and covering the rest, sometimes depending on the wind i will tape the bag over the body of the camera as well. This has done me for the whole last season with no problems, its also cheap, but you look like a berk.

Electrical tape works well to seal it with no mess afterwards.

A4 Avant
Well where I'm going to be standing is grassy, so I've had an aluminium stake cut to size at work that I can fit my golf umbrella into. Plan on hammering it into the ground and hopefully standing under it which should leave my hands free.

If it doesn't work and I decide to wrap the lense and body up, is it just the lense hood that stops water from getting onto the lense?

Thanks for all the good advice above though!

Seat Ibiza FR
I used the Op/Tech rainsleeve when i went to a rally recently:

op_rainsleeve.jpg

...and then used the lens hood to protect the glass of the lens from water.
It cost me £5 for 2 from my local photography shop.
You may look like a berk as mentioned above but you'll be getting shots that others may not bother about because of the rain.