ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Picture of BMC CDA fitted to 16v

Clio 190bhp Hybrid

Just tried the link and it works. Did try cutting and pasting it on to here but my IT know how is not all that!

what did it cost and where does the air feed come from? it seems to be going to the back of the engine bay (by the manifold)

Clio 190bhp Hybrid

Total price for this initial kit was £220. That was for the fabricated metal adaptor to fit on the throttle body, silicone hose, CDA filter kit, 3 hours of trying to get it to fit and a RR to find out the result. Air in take is fron the supplied flexi hose going downwards towards the driveshafts and then bent forwards. Was thinking about a scoop like the one Nick Hill is selling (although not seen it) and connecting this to the inlet.

Finished version when available should be better finished now hose size and angle is known and the adaptor finished better with countersunk nuts used for fixing. Expect price to be around £200 which I feel is good as you cant get a Viper for the 16v and they are £200 without adapter etc.

clio williams, Ph1 172

Alright mate,

Im thinkin of designing an airbox for a project at uni. Could you possibly send me any pics? Ideas of size etc? That would be really helpful.

My e mails: mailto:paulmarshall5@hotmail.com">paulmarshall5@hotmail.com

Cheers

Paul

Question - whats the difference between this and a PiperCross Viper kit?

What sort of air filter is inside the box?

Clio 190bhp Hybrid

Paul, Only picture I have is the one you can see above. Came by email from the peeps who did this and is 1.3 KB. Cant send it from my hotmail anywhere as I am limited to 2kb.

Not sure how this differs from the Viper other than in the size of the unit and filter itself. Viper seems quite small in comparison. Did take the screws out of the Carbon housing to get the filter out and have a look. Quite good and designed to fit in one way with the airflow. Might be best to look at the BMC and PiperX websites for comparison.

If Ferrari F1 team use BMC then that is good enough for me.

BMW 320d Sport

Nice work Matt! Glad to see its finally in. How does it feel on the road?

JJ- dont know whats in a Viper but inside the CDA the airflow goes into the inside of a normal cone shape filter, and flows through to the outside, a bit like if you poured water into a cone shaped sieve. There is a big spike that comes from the middle of it which I suppose directs the airflow more sideways through the filter material rather than right to the end. On the other side (the outside of the cone) there are shaped plastic kind of ramps that would seem to twist the airflow as it exits into the outlet pipe.

BMW 320d Sport

lol yeah when I fit mine (hopefully arriving next week?) Ill have to make sure I block up the end of the inlet pipe so none of that nasty cold air can get in and pressurise the induction tract. Dont want any of that evil ram-air effect happening. ;)

Clio 190bhp Hybrid

RR was 126 at the wheels, approx 148 at the flywheel is you use 15% as transmission loss. Thought that wasnt bad considering only this and a magnex cat back system resulted in 11 bhp more than standard.

Torque figures were worked out to be 123NM at 2K, 142NM at 3K, 164NM 4-5K, 158NM at 6K and 159NM at 6.5K then trailing off.

Nick, let us know if you need the adaptor plate sorting out or any help.

Clio 190bhp Hybrid

Nick, forgot to say car pulls a hell of a lot better now than with the K&N, quieter too. Car feels like it did when I first drove it, got a little accustomed to it of late so its nice to be suprised by the performance again.

Only down side is I have no room to fit my battery charger in the engine bay now to charge overnight with the bonnet closed, CDA is in the way.

clio williams, Ph1 172

Sorry to bring this old post up but wondered if you can get that pipe that fits onto the CDA seperately? Im after one like that to fit a filter im making.

Quote: Originally posted by Nick Read on 15 October 2002

lol yeah when I fit mine (hopefully arriving next week?) Ill have to make sure I block up the end of the inlet pipe so none of that nasty cold air can get in and pressurise the induction tract. Dont want any of that evil ram-air effect happening. ;)
lol.....ive busted this concept......

at 100mph, there is less than 0.177psi in perfect conditions with a perfect setup. So, you need ot be doing alot over 200mph to get near 1psi......

So, your gains are more fomr a reduction of inlet temp than any ram charge as at low speeds, even with a sealed box, heat soak still occurs through the long ducting and through the filter. So, even with all this, your runnig about 80Deg F, and the speed merely loweres the surrounding temp and inlet charge temp.

Not worked out by me, but by Keith Calver.

Surely hes in a better position to comments on it.......stung Nick....FINALLY...lol

BMW 320d Sport

LOL you wish mate! How have you calculated your pressure - whos to say what is perfect conditions and perfect setup? Where did you pluck the 80 degree F figure from (btw its the 21st century, lets have centigrade!) Who the hell is Keith Calver? Does he have a Clio and has actually tested it on this car? If not how does his universal theory fit this car? The effectiveness of ram air will vary from one system to another so I cant see how any airy fairy figures have any relevance whatsoever to our situation with road cars! Must try harder...or at least post a link to this supposed research or whatever it is. :)

LOL>>.....YOU WISH mate!

Keith calver is a higly respected race car builder and has been doing it for decades. Its HIS formula well, not actually his, but a general formula used to calculate ram pressure, but i dont know it no.

And ideal conditions....means ideal.....which wont vary form car to car.

0.177psi is abot the same as 1.22% rise in atmosperic pressure.......the gains you feel will almost certainly be from temp reduction...sorry mate.....but thats a whole world to tunning experience to believe.

i.e. a 3.3 deg C drop in temp will give a 1% change in density.

This is all quoted from this months mini magazine.....

I couldnt of worked this out as i never knew such a formula existed....nor had i worried about prooving it.......since it was never extensively used in racing as pure ram affect.

No argueing on this mate.......i dont wanna start again! lol

clio williams, Ph1 172

oh no what have i started. let me know when u get the filter mate. they are pretty good aint they