ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Pilot Sport 4S review (BMW 19" fitment)

The 330d has burnt through another set of rears so looking for replacements. Could go with the Falken FK510 again as they are a fantastic all-round tyre, but prices have gone through the roof lately, plus with just 10k miles out of them I'm inclined to try something different.

I've had the PS4 before on a few cars and they are the best road tyre I've used to date, so thinking the S will also be very good. Blackcircles has a 15% discount offer on the PS4S so i'm thinking of going with these.

With the 15% discount 2 x 255/35/19 rears £302 fitted. Or go with a full set 235/35/19 fronts - 2 x 255/35/19 rears £588 fitted. Although my current FK510 fronts have 5mm left of them so seems a waste.

Has anyone got any experience with the PS4S? More interested in wet handling and tyre wear really.

Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S 255/35 R19 Y tyres | Blackcircles.com | ID - 35733694

Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S 235/35 R19 Y tyres | Blackcircles.com | ID - 35790898

The 4S has a stiffer sidewall than the 4 and it features a dual compound - the outer part of the tyre is biased for dry grip and inner for wet grip.

TBH unless you find yourself exceeding the limits of the PS4 then the PS4S isn't worth the extra money. For 99% of people 99% of the time the PS4 is all the tyre they need for the road. I ran PS4S on my Lotus Evora and replaced them with PS4 because I simply wasn't getting close enough to the limit to justify the PS4S, and I don't hang about.

340i
I've got a set of PS4S ready to fit on my F30 340i, same size as yours... They took 3 weeks to arrive, but actually worked out slightly cheaper than the PS4 from Costco (£540 fitted, offer was buy 4x save £100).

This doesn't help you at all 😅 But I should have some feedback in a couple of weeks.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
How are you going through them so quick?

The Goodyear Eagles on my D3 have done 23k and have 3mm left on them!

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
I have them on my 7.5 GTi performance 19" massively impressed with them grip and traction turn in etc is fantastic wet and dry completely changed the car from the old p zeros.

I would buy them again without hesitation.

Can't comment on wear as they only been on 300 miles ish.

Also had them from black circles flash sale

Gavin.

ClioSport Club Member
PS4s on my Megane have done around 18k so far, fronts are almost done, rears have done more than that and have loads of life.

10k seems low. Unless mine are lasting longer then normal.

How are you going through them so quick?

The Goodyear Eagles on my D3 have done 23k and have 3mm left on them!
God knows. The Eagle 3 RF's before them lasted the same, but these wore bald on the insides, the rest of the tyre had about 5mm on them.

TBH I've never got great mileage out of any tyre on any car, obviously my driving style isn't tyre friendly.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
God knows. The Eagle 3 RF's before them lasted the same, but these wore bald on the insides, the rest of the tyre had about 5mm on them.

TBH I've never got great mileage out of any tyre on any car, obviously my driving style isn't tyre friendly.
Rear bushings slack, giving a bit more toe when drving?

Rear bushings slack, giving a bit more toe when drving?
Yeah thought that, like the dynamic toe was toeing out massively. The current Falkens wore evenly though, so it cant be. Read about RF's that can cause extreme inner tyre wear due to the stiff sidewalls, coupled with BMW aggressive alignment from factory. Seems hit and miss though, some have it, some don't. Guessing yours wore evenly? Maybe different alignment for the Alpina.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Have you got X drive?

We have had a few BMWs.

118d loved tyres
320d barely used any tread
X3 chews them up.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Yeah thought that, like the dynamic toe was toeing out massively. The current Falkens wore evenly though, so it cant be. Read about RF's that can cause extreme inner tyre wear due to the stiff sidewalls, coupled with BMW aggressive alignment from factory. Seems hit and miss though, some have it, some don't. Guessing yours wore evenly? Maybe different alignment for the Alpina.
Yeah totally even.

Its a fir bit lower than a normal 3 series though.

Fair enough mine is X-Drive but running F1 run flats. I've done about 12k on them and they barely look used.

@JB21 how are you driving it? Have you had the alignment properly checked? As in a KDS by BMW?
Its just a work horse TBH, I give it some on occasion, but nothing dramatic. It sits at 70mph on the motorway most of the time. Not had it aligned recently. Need to get it on a hunter hawkeye really.

As mentioned though the current pair of tyres have worn evenly, just prematurely. When the alignment has been out on previous cars I've always had uneven wear.

What does BM charge for KDS these days?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Its just a work horse TBH, I give it some on occasion, but nothing dramatic. It sits at 70mph on the motorway most of the time. Not had it aligned recently. Need to get it on a hunter hawkeye really.

As mentioned though the current pair of tyres have worn evenly, just prematurely. When the alignment has been out on previous cars I've always had uneven wear.

What does BM charge for KDS these days?
So use is similar to mine then, the only dfifference is I’m on Bridgestone S001 runflats.

We have a an offer on atm for KDS and it’s £100 from memory.

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
I recently swapped to the PS4S on the F31 from the Bridgestone runflats.
Think they are great so far but can't comment on how they are wearing as only done 1000 or so miles.

That's a really good price though, I think mine came to just over 700 all in at the time and I shopped around for ages..

Are you sure the sizes are correct though as I recall mine being 225/40/19 and 255/35/19 for the Rears.

I recently swapped to the PS4S on the F31 from the Bridgestone runflats.
Think they are great so far but can't comment on how they are wearing as only done 1000 or so miles.

That's a really good price though, I think mine came to just over 700 all in at the time and I shopped around for ages..

Are you sure the sizes are correct though as I recall mine being 225/40/19 and 255/35/19 for the Rears.
Yeah 235/35/19 are not the standard size, but are always cheaper than 225/40/19. The wider tyres made zero difference to how it drives, and cost nothing when declared to the insurance so win, win.

Thrust-Rated

ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Yeah 235/35/19 are not the standard size, but are always cheaper than 225/40/19. The wider tyres made zero difference to how it drives, and cost nothing when declared to the insurance so win, win.
Why didn't I think of that 🤣🤣

Thrust-Rated

ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Because X-Drive. You’d have had to gone wider at the back too. Not sure 265’s would be too pretty. 😂
Ye the 255 are wide enough from the rear end.
20210803_184700.jpg

Wonky number plate too..