ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PiperX Viper Vs. Hillpower i/k, 172, which ones better??

172 Cup SOLD
as the title says!!

the hill power looks a little tidier i think, but dont think it performs as well as the Viper.

these will be for a 172 cup btw!!

cheers in advance!

An orange one
i have hillpower on my cup and i love it! it really does sound superb!

viper probably fractionally better for power but you get so little gains with any filter on the 172/182 thats its not going to be noticable really!

heres a pic of mine...

cup1.jpg

172 Cup SOLD
ColinG said:
i have hillpower on my cup and i love it! it really does sound superb!

viper probably fractionally better for power but you get so little gains with any filter on the 172/182 thats its not going to be noticable really!

heres a pic of mine...

cup1.jpg

mate, thats stunnin!

and well simple to do as well!

how much was it?

An orange one
i got it off a mate whos selling his 172, so i got it and a cat back magnex for £300, im sure he said it was circa £250 though best to give them a ring it may be cheaper

172 Cup & 600BHP supra
if u mean the viper then hell yea u hear it...gives mine a real deap bark...quite a bit more poke as well!

172 Cup SOLD
so you reckon it'd be a better investment than the hillpower??

sorry for all the questions, i'm not very clued up on the engine side of things!

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
but that was on a 1.2 lol, still concidering to put it on ma 172 but insurance wont allow, so gotta sell it

BMW E46 330i Touring
Love my Viper too, haven't driven my 172 as standard so dunno the difference, but I love it with it on!

An orange one
yep, i have to say the hillpower + magnex combo is superb sounding, quiet at cruising speed but as throaty as hell when your pushing it, long tunnels are insane!! :):)

The Viper at the end of the day is a performance filter inside a black sealed airbox. We can sell a performance filter to go in your Renault black sealed airbox for £38.00, and its easier to clean.
I designed our induction kit slightly open to give not just performance but also a nice sound. It comes complete with silicone inlet elbow and under bumper scoop for less than the retail price of a Viper.

E92 M3 Monte Carlo
I have a hillpower induction kit they are superb, at least you get to see your moneys worth,the front bumper scoop works really well and was designed for a 172,the viper filter is universal with a fitting kit for each car

MKIII 138
im wantinbg the hill power induction system for my new 172cup. how much is the full system.

btw nick like the way its sealed from hot air but is open on the cool side so you still get the noise ! thats exactly how id have done it.

i see it uses the standard feed but do you reroute the standard feed lower down to a new area.. im worried il get it wrong (cries like a baby)

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Anyone got photos of this bumper scoop? I am trying to find something subtle without having to cut my bumper etc.
Meggerman, how is it going with that custom airbox? I have tried PM'ing but your inbox is full.

172 Cup SOLD
how much is the hillpower one fella?

and also whats included in the stage 1 kit apart from an i/k, i couldnt really see!!

cheers!

MKIII 138
len_beach said:
Anyone got photos of this bumper scoop? I am trying to find something subtle without having to cut my bumper etc.
Meggerman, how is it going with that custom airbox? I have tried PM'ing but your inbox is full.

hi ive cleared my inbox now. err ive had a set back with my homemade kit so far as the pipe i ordered arrived and it was massive, thinkin of leasing it out to crufts for dogs to run through.
back to the drawing board lol

but hey if we both save for the hill power kit we can either meet up and fit them together

--phill--

E92 M3 Monte Carlo
len_beach said:

I havnt got a picture sorry but it sits behind the bottom of the bumper nice and neat with no cutting

Ok so my wording was crap.

By installing a better airfeed into the standard Mk1 172 airbox is what I meant.

Last edited:

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
What about the standard Mk2 airbox Day? Can this be as good. I have a PiperX panel filter. I am planning to replace the lower feed and route it to just behind the lower bumper grille. The feed to the right will simply be replaced with better ducting and have the valve removed. Would you rate this as far behind the viper etc?

they all do pretty much the same job, the ram effect doesn't make any difference until silly speed, a decent cold air feed is all you need

get a decent feed on the standard airbox with a replacement element and it will do a job as good as many other filters without a remap

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Just what I was hoping someone would say.
Bryan, do you know where the standard air feed into the wheel arch exits the bodywork or draws its air from?

At the mo I have the standard airbox connected up to a Hillpower feed/scoop. I plugged the Hillpower pipe into the forward hole in the airbox - it's relatively snug but not a sealed fit (at the moment). My car runs better with this than when I had the Hillpower IK - I can't speak for high-end gains from the IK but loss of torque is what you miss every day.

Having said all that, I've just bought a Viper (cheap) and I'm going to try this in my 172, connected up to the Hillpower scoop if possible.

G

gh172 said:
At the mo I have the standard airbox connected up to a Hillpower feed/scoop. I plugged the Hillpower pipe into the forward hole in the airbox - it's relatively snug but not a sealed fit (at the moment). My car runs better with this than when I had the Hillpower IK - I can't speak for high-end gains from the IK but loss of torque is what you miss every day.

Having said all that, I've just bought a Viper (cheap) and I'm going to try this in my 172, connected up to the Hillpower scoop if possible.

G

Should have said, this is with Group N ECU as well.

MKIII 138
so all the induction kits are pertty much the same, cool all i need to do is reroute my standard airfeed and buy and ITG panel filter for same/better results than the hillpower IK or the ITG maxogen.

you still up for a meet len ?