ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Plasma TV for 500£ ?

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Hi guys,

Looking for a new TV. Fairly confident I want a plasma since I usually watch films or play games in low lighting and really hate the idea of ghosting.

I have found this TV for £500 (after 10% staff discount)

http://m.tesco.com/mt/www.tesco.com...geLevel=sku&_requestid=139989&un_jtt_redirect

Will a £500 be better PQ than this? Or is this a decent price. I had thought about buying a used plasma on eBay also to get more for the money. Trouble is I wouldn't want the hassle of getting something with a fault and having to file disputes.

I wouldn't get too caught up in the plasma vs. LCD. You should take each TV on its own merits. Having said that, generally speaking, and certainly pound for pound, plasma usually offers better picture quality.

However, if you're buying one for games, you should be mindful of image retention from HUDs, radars and the like. Despite what some people will say, they WILL 'burn-in' temporarily, regardless of the TV's price. You can mitigate this by running-in the set for a good 100-200 hours at low contrast in order to age the phosphors, and then by limiting playtime to an hour or so before giving it a break for 15-20 minutes.

If you do manage to inflict seemingly serious image retention from HUDs, don't worry too much. It can sometimes take days or even weeks to wash out, but these days it's almost impossible to irreparably burn a modern plasma. Certainly if you age it properly. Also, even after ageing, try to run games at the lowest contrast setting that is comfortable.

I should add that most mild image retention will be washed away with normal TV viewing before you even see it. It's not something to worry about, but it is something to be mindful of.

Last edited:
  BMW M4; S1000 RR
Thanks for that.

Read about running in videos you can play to sort that out but wasn't entirely sure what the purpose was.

I currently play on LCD and it's fine tbh. That said I remember playing xbox on my Dad's plasma some time ago (a very old set, maybe close to 10 years old!) but it looks great!

Any ideas on a good panel for less than £500 that will be good for gaming?

I'm not really a fan of Plasma's and would much rather have a IPS LED screen. I would go to somewhere like RicherSounds and have a look around, they also give good advice. Brand wise I would stick to the big name brands such as LG (first choice), panasonic, sony.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I'm not really a fan of Plasma's and would much rather have a IPS LED screen. I would go to somewhere like RicherSounds and have a look around, they also give good advice. Brand wise I would stick to the big name brands such as LG (first choice), panasonic, sony.

Whys that (preferring LCD)?

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I'm fairly sure plasma is the way forward. Wondering whether it's worth waiting for the new year before buying to see what kind of offers are out there.

Also thinking it might be worth upping my size requirements.

An orange one
My mate has a 50" plasma LG and when watching it all you can see is reflections of yourself and his living room in the screen, it would drive me mental

BMW M4; S1000 RR
My Dads plasma has a glass face and it's never bothered me tbh.

It's in a north facing living room and I can use blinds if it's too light.

MK3 GTI golf 16v
I cannot stand lg vts I think there crap

Panasonic tvs are fantastic, you can get a 50" plasma from a year or two ago for that money easy. I bought there top end plasma about 3/4 years ago and I still haven't seen a better tv tbh