ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Plastic jank!

When fitting my new rad on the RSi we didnt bother putting on the plastic housing around it, do I really need it or is it just stupid like we thought.

Only little worry is, could a stone go up into the rad do you think?

Matt

You mean the shroud?

I would keep it on, it seals the front from the rear and is what seperates them. Without it air wouldnt flow form a high to low pressure area.

Im not sure what you mean by that mate, from a high to low pressure area? It was all broken and just look untidy. I thought they used it as some way to direct air into the rad.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Would you remove the rear brakes because the fronts do a good enough job of stopping the car?

the shroud is a part of the cooling system, its been developed with that in mind. if you take it off it wont work like it should.

Hmmm, but its all plastic not braking system LOL. Just slightly different. It runs fine and a lot cooler with the new thermostat and new rad. I can only say as all the clips had broke that it looked a mess and flapped about.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Mate. if you want us to say "it will be fine leave it" then say so in the first post.

Why bother asking a question if you know the answer?

172, Tiguan

Personally if Ben told me to jump of a cliff i would. Not sure about this ^ clown, but for gods sake put the thing back on.

P.S. the bit about the braking system was an analogy ;)

I never put mine back on my valver as I have found it a trap for leaves, gunk and general rot promoting crap. Cant be sure about the cooling as I put new coolant, water pump and low temp thermostat on, but in my opinion it probably wont make much difference if any at all. Radiator still get plenty of air there and mine was real tatty too, and god only knows how much one from renault will be!

Yeah, it just makes things look a little more proper. See if it was the difference between running too hot and not, which I wouldnt of thought. It runs a lot cooler with a low temp thermo and new rad.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

it is there to direct air through the rad but if your engine temps appear ok then just keep an eye on it. if you notice the temp getting abnormally high or erractic etc then put it back on.

You cant tell me that stupid piece of plastic is going to be the difference of overheating and not!?

What about in traffic, it does sweet fanny adams then.

In traffic, when stationary the fan pulls through the rad........but if its easier for air to be pulled round the rad, air will follow that path.

It might no be the case between overheating or not, but it does help.....air doent like flowing through a rad.