ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Play in Steering Rack - Pinion Adjustment

PH1 172 Sport
My steering rack has developed some play in it and its causing a slight knock around wheel centre. It's been on some ramps today so we are pretty sure its the rack. My question is can the pinion be adjusted to take up any slack.

According to a manual I have the SMI rack has an adjustment nut located on the bottom side of the rack. Which from looking today it certainly does (the adjuster is white).

Has anyone heard of or actually adjusted this nut on a Clio?

Clio 172 mk2
Hiya mate did u have any joy with this? Reason i ask iv got mk2 172 and when its not running there is a bit of play in the rack but when its running it goes away its been like this for 2 years tho so im abit ?????? Cheers dude

renaultsport clio172
cant say ive ever adjusted any but i had the same with mine and it turned out to be the inner rack joints/tie rod. to prove it you can get a mate to wiggle the steering wheel gently while you hold the tie rod, on the joint part of the tie rod(its under the rack gaitor tho) with the car on its wheels. you will feel it straight away if its worn out. check track rod ends,ball joint and bolts etc first tho! hope that helps.