ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

play in wheel 3 and 9

1.5 dci
Hi all.
i have an 02 clio 1.5 dci. 64000 on the clock. The problem I have noticed is slight play on the passenger wheel at the 3 an 9 when pushed and pulled. No play at 12 and 6. I took the car to a well known outfit who said driveshaft. On looking I do have a slit in the boot so will be changing this soon. However I can not see how a driveshaft can cause this play so took it elsewhere.

I was suspecting track rod end but couldnt see any play. The second garage put the car on shaker playes and suspected the steering rack. However the play is only on the one wheel. I would suspect worn drive to show slop both sides and not just one. I also believe this would dissapear when the wheel was turned and new teeth engaged.

so im left with track rod end but can see play. Inner tie rod. Again cant see any play. Anybody got any ideas begore i go on a wild parts change?

​cheers

1.5 dci
That was a thought I had but believed that would be more evident at 12 and 6. I am willing to be proved wrong. No noise from the bearing though. The hub spins nicely.

That was a thought I had but believed that would be more evident at 12 and 6. I am willing to be proved wrong. No noise from the bearing though. The hub spins nicely.

Shirley you should be able to place roughly where the play is coming from?

If it is coming from the wheel it will most likely be a wheel bearing or something with the hub.... If it doesn't feel localised it could be track rod end, ball joint etc

1.5 dci
Well when I checked it was just me and it was hard to move and look at the same time. My lad is available tommorow so ill jack up the car and let him shift it while having a good look. Sometimes you cant see the wood for the trees untill somebody posts it. So yes your spot on ill see if it moves without the rods moving and then it must be the bearing.

1.5 dci
That was my initial thought but second garage said they were good and movement seemed more from the rack. Ill have a good look tomm and post the results.

1.5 dci
its the inner tie rod. pulled back the gaitor and you can see the play in the ball. Had a cracking quote from a garage to supply and fit including tracking so im not going to diy it this time. It works out cheaper than me sourcing the parts getting a crows foot and cutting it down and then tracking it seperately.

​cheers