ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Playstation 4 announcement 20th February?

Mito Sportiva 135
It's weird though - a month or so ago Sony said 'we'll wait for MS to make the first move' then came out with the first (underwhelming) announcement - not really saying much apart from 'it's going to be awesome' and announcing some very average sounding sequels.

A new Killzone...wooh!!!

E36 328
They said it's not natively backwards compatible (i.e. your PS3 discs won't work), but you can stream PS1/2/3 games from the cloud.

Are you f**king joking!!!!???? How could they possibly do that?????????? AAHHHHHH their stupidity makes me despair!!!
That may be a deal breaker for me.

dk

911 GTS Cab
Are you f**king joking!!!!???? How could they possibly do that?????????? AAHHHHHH their stupidity makes me despair!!!
That may be a deal breaker for me.
I mentioned about this in the GTA thread, it was very expensive in the ps3 which is why the full compatibility was removed in later versions.

When I bought my ps3, I didn't play a single ps2 game on it, why would I, they looked s**t and there were new games out with better graphics.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Even if Sony wanted to keep a lot of the detail and information back for a later announcement I still reckon they could have made a much better job of this presentation. It just felt flat and underwhelming. It was also a little disappointing that there wasn't more in the way of technology demos (and those that were shown were a bit 'meh'). The PS4 is a very capable platform so my guess is that they wanted to 'get in there first', get the publicity machine working in their favour and then provide a much better presentation at a later date. All IMHO of course. :)

BG Clio 182
It just builds the hype up for the big reveal at E3 In my opinion this is a great move the internet is talkig about the PS4 the hype is building. Bring on E3 with the unveiling of the console etc.. I wasnt going to get a PS4 at release but some of those demos looked quality!!! Killzone and Watch Dogs especially.

1.8 Civic EX
So apart from the presentation being a bit pants and, going from previous Sony previews etc, we can't really rely on the game footage being a true representation, what do people think of the features that we were told about?

IMO:

The contoller: pants. It was hard enough to just use the start/select buttons so I can't see the touch pad being all that useful? Plus the sensors for thier new Kinect, sorry I mean Move camera, isn't really anything new.

Sharing: all this video recording, friend watching or even taking over your game, and random people also being able to watch is bit of a gimmick. I can see everyone using it at least once but that'll be about it. If I buy a game, I want to play it, not sit there in my own home watching my mate play it for me from a different location, just seems a bit retarded to me? Or am I missing the point?

Listerine & Poledo
I'm sure the added multiplayer-mess will be quite well executed on some titles.

For instance, the next GranTurismo. You could have online, multi-driver endurance races, swapping cars between drivers.

Thing is, since most games are multi-platform, chances are it won't get much use at all unless other consoles do the same.

Ive always been fine with PS-pads, decently analogue triggers will be nice but I agree about the touchpad.

Last edited:

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member

For instance, the next GranTurismo. You could have online, multi-driver endurance races, swapping cars between drivers.

You realise you can do this already? Not on GT5 but there was never anything stopping that from happening on the current gen of consoles.

Surely that's just giving someone else the opportunity to f**k up your race and waste your time? Hmm.

Yaris Hybrid
hmmm im a fan of sony, but i feel the ps3 still has life in it. Shame.

Don't worry.

As previous releases have proven, the old models have such a high install base that it will take years for the next gen consoles to truly "replace" them.

The PS3 will likely be outselling the next gen consoles for a long time to come and for games to be profitable and recoup enough of the development costs and make a tidy profit you can guarantee they will be releasing 360 and PS3 versions for a long time to come.

My concern is that games on the new systems get held back because of design decisions made to make the games capable of being ported to the old systems.

In fact I can see the PS4 and new Xbox getting the same treatment that PC's get at the moment. In otherwords games will still be designed around the capabilities of the PS3/360 but you will get higher res textures, higher solution, better frame rates and maybe some extra tacked on features.

I bet the PS3 is still being manufactured in 2015.

Yaris Hybrid
How old are you? 11?

Actually I was making a point on the rampant fanboism in the console world and the irony of what happened.

The trigger solution on the PS3 pad was inferior. Any impartial player experiencing both could clearly recognise which solution best fulfilled the intended application.

That didn't stop those that for some reason take it upon themselves to be unpaid representatives of Sony from violently defending those triggers to the death.

Kind of leaves them in a sticky spot now that Sony pulled the rug out from under them.

I am still confused as to why Sony haven't swapped the D-Pad and Left Stick around. The location of the D-Pad at the moment on the PS3 pad is the optimum position for the primary control method. The D-Pad is located there as it hasn't been modified since the days when the digital input was the main control input and the analogue sticks were an optional tacked on feature for a minority of games that offered support.

With the majority of games now using the analogue stick as the primary control method, most Joypad designers/manufacturers have moved the analogue stick to the optimum position with the D-Pad in the secondary position - as it is now the secondary control system.

No doubt Sony's unpaid army of reps will also defend the current positioning to the death until perhaps the next generation when Sony move it. Although it appears as though the pad layout/image is almost iconic and synonymous with the Playstation brand so I am not sure whether they will.

I don't like it but now that the triggers have changed I can at least stomach it. So it isn't the deal breaker that it once was.

Listerine & Poledo
Didn't Microsoft release controllers that only worked for people with gargantuism, then followed them up with a 1/2 scale model for midgets?

Anyway. Jaguar pads were better or, ultimately a Cheetah 125+, but most of CS probably wasn't even a sperm when either of those were new

Anyone who won't take a system because of its controllers must have pretty severe arthritis tho.....a conundrum appears!

Fiesta ST-2
Personally I've never noticed or heard any debate regarding the triggers, just the old playground argument about one controller being too big and the other too small. Nice to see that argument still keeps you up at night.

Didn't Microsoft release controllers that only worked for people with gargantuism, then followed them up with a 1/2 scale model for midgets?

Anyway. Jaguar pads were better or, ultimately a Cheetah 125+, but most of CS probably wasn't even a sperm when either of those were new

Anyone who won't take a system because of its controllers must have pretty severe arthritis tho.....a conundrum appears!
Original Xbox controller was big with smaller one developed for Japanese market. It was found that the smaller one was preferred and that was then introduced to other markets. 360 controller based on smaller model.

320d M Sport
Original Xbox controller was big with smaller one developed for Japanese market. It was found that the smaller one was preferred and that was then introduced to other markets. 360 controller based on smaller model.

Didn't know that! And agree on the Jaguar controllers as well.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Very unlikely.

Very likely IMO seeing as they have only just stopped production of the PS2 (last month). Two more years of production isn't much really. Not everyone will be able to afford a 4 straight away so there will still be a big demand for the 3. I imagine the 360 will still be in production for a few years after the new one is out too.

Goliath I
Wonder if there is any intention on introducing a mouse/keyboard(sort of) combo.

Missing a trick IMO, games like Sims/C&C/Sim City have big potential and are a brilliant genre. Lets be honest, they're absolute s**t with the pad.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I personally wonder what, if anything, will be the big differentiator in terms of the PS4 (or, indeed, the next-gen Xbox) when compared to the current offerings. Despite the significantly better hardware underpinning the new systems I don't expect to see massive advances in terms of visuals. I don't expect to be playing games at true 1080p with a rock-steady 60fps+ with "ultra" level effects enabled. Hopefully we will see some new and novel games, new and improved methods of interaction and so forth. I also hope that networking (whether it be Sony's offering or Microsoft's) is slick and streamlined seeing as everything is very much heading in that direction. It's good that consoles will effectively be free of the DirectX9-like level of features, too, so the more powerful GPU's (and the ability to leverage them through newer shader models and richer instruction sets) will potentially result in some new and improved algorithms for enhancing physics, rendering performance, lighting, shading, and so forth. These changes also mean that developers can take a lot of their skills they've developed and nurtured in working on multi-core/processor/thread x86-like architectures and apply them efficiently to the new platforms without having to have wildly varying code paths for each. All IMHO of course. :)

dk

911 GTS Cab
I personally wonder what, if anything, will be the big differentiator in terms of the PS4 (or, indeed, the next-gen Xbox) when compared to the current offerings. Despite the significantly better hardware underpinning the new systems I don't expect to see massive advances in terms of visuals. I don't expect to be playing games at true 1080p with a rock-steady 60fps+ with "ultra" level effects enabled. Hopefully we will see some new and novel games, new and improved methods of interaction and so forth. I also hope that networking (whether it be Sony's offering or Microsoft's) is slick and streamlined seeing as everything is very much heading in that direction. It's good that consoles will effectively be free of the DirectX9-like level of features, too, so the more powerful GPU's (and the ability to leverage them through newer shader models and richer instruction sets) will potentially result in some new and improved algorithms for enhancing physics, rendering performance, lighting, shading, and so forth. These changes also mean that developers can take a lot of their skills they've developed and nurtured in working on multi-core/processor/thread x86-like architectures and apply them efficiently to the new platforms without having to have wildly varying code paths for each. All IMHO of course. :)
you don't expect to be playing games at true 1080p?

the PS4 is going to be 4k (del probably not the first batch of games), with the right tv that will be epic quality, theres a 4k tv in vegas and its like nothing you've ever seen.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
Is it going to be 4k though? It wasn't mentioned in the announcement iirc. Got a reliable source dk? Hopefully it will be announced.

Never above 25mpg
Instead of 1080 the next step is 4000.

superHD

Thanks I thought so but worth an ask! Xbox will be helping top up Sony's profit anyway with the rumoured blu ray being implemented.

Surely they'll have to step up the Playstation Network though

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
I'm hoping to get a 4k projector when I move house so if the ps4 does support that I may be in the market for one :)