ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Please Help! Major Issue with 03 plate 172Cup, engine cutting out at 70+mph!

Clio 172 Cup
Hello all,

Details about the car:
03 plate 172 Clio Cup
78000 miles
due MOT next month

Driving into work today my engine partially cut out four times.
When I say partially cut out,
I lost almost all drive,
the car wouldn't accelerate as it usually does,
the revs are limited to 3000rpm and,
this light comes on

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/2117/81789021.gif

This happened twice while cruising at 30mph in fairly quick succession (about 3 mins apart), then twice on the motorway at about 75mph which was fairly worrying.

Each time I stopped, I turned the car off then on again and all was fine but the check engine light has come on

A colleague of mine seems to think that it could be the coil pack, I've found this one on the message boards as the right part number; 8200141149 could someone confirm this please.

If anyone has some clue or any advances on what might be going wrong, help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Si

Golf GTD Mk7
Coil pack is an option, it may also be TB related. It sounds like it's going into limp mode. I'd ask nicely if there is someone local to you on here and borrow one to see. Otherwise you may buy one from renault and still have the issue. Either that, or get it plugged into a decent diagnositic kit.

Clio T 314hp c43 AMG
Use the search button, it's quite good ;)
Or just pay someone to read your fault codes
Throttle pedal or throttle bodies are usually to blame, electrical contact cleaner on my pedal plug sorted my problem.

182 FF
Where abouts you based simon? Ive still got my dbw tb in the garage, all fully functional and what not... Changed to cable :) muuuuuch better!

Clio 172 Cup
Alex,

I'm in Southampton for the next couple of weeks but I'll be in Berkhamsted from the 6th August. I notice you're in Aylesbury, that's mighty close to Berkhamsted and the help would be massively appreciated!

No car
You alright Simon, I know this was a while back, but did you find out what the problem was? My light comes up very frequently, I thought it might be the thermostat not reading the correct temperature of the oil?

Clio 172 Cup
Hey,

I can't conclusively say what happened but the car seems ok now. I took it to a Renault dealer who couldn't make heads or tails of it so rather than give them the £4000 they quoted for something that "might" resolve the issue I decided to soldier on with the inconvenience as I was only in the country for another two months. After a couple of weeks the car sorted itself out! Engine light went out and no more issues. It even got through its MOT. I can't be totally sure if it's still fixed as I haven't driven it since September having been out of the country. Some people have said it was knocking, some have said it was the TB.

I'll be able to give some more conclusive results in May when I'm back in the UK and back driving it daily.

Sorry I can't be of any help at all!

Last edited:
  Clio 172 Cup
You should also check out the guys at K-Tec Racing www.k-tecracing.com, they race Cups know all about their faults and couldn't be a nicer bunch. They were very helpful when I was having the issues and also sorted me out with a cracking suspension set up!