ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Plug loose in head

Scott S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Flamer & ER-6F
My lass has been out in the car and she called me to say it 'wasn't right'.

Just been to it and when I first started the car, there was a 'popping' sound coming from around the oil filler cap. Had a look through the gap and the lead was loose. When I took the upper part of the inlet manifold off and lifted the lead (closest to the cam belt side of the engine), the plug came out with it.

I instantly thought it had been pushed out by the piston and the threads were fucked (as well as probably a whole load of other parts), but looking at it, the threads were ok, the plug went back in, tightened up as you would expect (as in how you'd expect if it was a simple plug change) and the lead went back on (although in pretty poor condition from the bouncing around).

The car is now home (was only about 2mile away), but I am not certain how this could happen. The plugs have been in for 4k miles (about 6months) and the car has been running great until tonight.

Can a plug 'work its way loose'?
Are the threads in the head likely to be stripped (s**t question I know, as anyone replying won't have been able to see into the head).
Anyone heard of this happening to a Clio before, or am I unique?

Scott S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Flamer & ER-6F
That was what I had thought, but seems odd to have done it after 4k miles and with no prior warning (she picked me up from the airport last night and nothing 'seemed' up).

Although, to be honest, I have never seen it happen before, so I am only applying what I think is logical.