ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Plus.net Broadband

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
I joined Plus.net on the 'Plus' account to find that using PSP such as LimeWire was a complete waste of time, I have just had the account upgraded to Premier to improve overall surfing performace also, is P2P likely to be any better? (haven't tested it yet)

Is the plus account the one which is more expensive but has higher download limits?
If so then thats the one I'm on download isn't to bad on Limewire etc but it depends on the host I've got over 55k on some downloads (I'm on the 2 meg package).

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
plus is basic package 50:1 2mb, no download limit, not good for P2P, £14.99, premier is 30:1 2mb, no download limit, £21.99 (as I understand it, you can ofcourse have different speeds for more money)

Lee

BMW M2C
I don't have any problems running Bit Torrent with Plusnet. Speeds vary depending on the time of day and popularity of the file of course.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
just tested it at lunchtime, seems to be working with LimeWire much, much better, downloading at 55k, but it is during the day, will have to see tonight

172 Cup
Gaz2130 said:
I joined Plus.net on the 'Plus' account to find that using PSP such as LimeWire was a complete waste of time, I have just had the account upgraded to Premier to improve overall surfing performace also, is P2P likely to be any better? (haven't tested it yet)

Plus.Net has blocked various p2p ports now.

172 Cup
If you can spare £8 a month then Newsgroups are by far the best method of getting movies, games etc..

Direct downloads and none of the p2p hassle ...

newsleech2.jpg

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Gaz2130 said:
plus is basic package 50:1 2mb, no download limit, not good for P2P, £14.99, premier is 30:1 2mb, no download limit, £21.99 (as I understand it, you can ofcourse have different speeds for more money)

Plusnet sell premier using the rather ridiculous "measure of transfer quota" under the banner of contention. 30:1 is impossible as the product they're selling and provided to them by bt wholesale is 50:1.

They have a "Sustainable Usage Policy" which says that you can download 30GB/mo in peak time (12am-4pm) or 100GB/mo total before they'll "ask you where you'd like to migrate to". Interestingly if you're on a 1Yr contract this is a way to get out without any penalties, just keep downloading 24/7 and they'll let you go for free!

They also shape the hell out of traffic on premier now, since the introduction of the SUP (and shaping) my general browsing speeds have dropped massively.

The cheekiest thing of all is that they have 3 bands of traffic, Gold, Silver and Bronze. Email/http traffic sits in gold - *along* with Plustalk, THEIR OWN VOIP service. Silver has other VOIP traffic and internal usenet services. The bronze queue holds p2p, external usenet access, ssh etc.

They're also shaping easynews by IP, which means that although you download via http (which should be in the gold queue), your traffic actually sits in the bronze queue. Result? I barely manage 20Kb/s, prior to the SUP I used to get 220Kb/s.

At the end of the day you pay your money and you take your choice, but there's plenty more open, honest and professional players in the market for just a few pounds more.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
very true, all I can say is that upgrading from Plus to Premier has meant a significant change in the quality of my Broadband service. I can use P2P with no problems now, whereas before it wouldn't even want to know, whether this will remain to be the case with future changes etc I will have to wait and see.