ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PMS Gear Linkage rattle

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
the shift is brilliant but i now see what people mean about the rattle, i think its the reverse lift spring so i might take the knob off and put a bit tape around the spring so its not metal to metal.

Cup In bits
Has PMS said anything in regards to the rattle?

They sell competition parts so you should expect small rattles, harshness etc etc, its the nature of competition parts.

Someone with one on the road needs to try securing a weight onto the selector rod.

Lancia Integrale
They sell competition parts so you should expect small rattles, harshness etc etc, its the nature of competition parts.

Someone with one on the road needs to try securing a weight onto the selector rod.

That's fair enough- just didn't know if their was an apparent problem or just the case of it being a Motorsport/track orientated part so it's not ment to be nice and refined :)
Mines a track only car so I only care if it improves the way it feels

In my case it's not the reverse lift spring that causes the rattle. If i drive the car without the shaft, spring and knob the ratlle is just the same.

I really do understand that's a competition part and therefore small rattles should be expected. But i also believe that (in my case) the rattle is just too loud en that there must be a way to reduce it to an acceptabele level.

So, what can we do more? Put some rubber damper around some connection points? And is there somebody who has a picture that explains the 'weight attached to the rod'? I really don't understand that.

Thanxs again!

172 cup, Impreza P1
In my case it's not the reverse lift spring that causes the rattle. If i drive the car without the shaft, spring and knob the ratlle is just the same.

I really do understand that's a competition part and therefore small rattles should be expected. But i also believe that (in my case) the rattle is just too loud en that there must be a way to reduce it to an acceptabele level.

So, what can we do more? Put some rubber damper around some connection points? And is there somebody who has a picture that explains the 'weight attached to the rod'? I really don't understand that.

Thanxs again!

Sell it to me. ;)

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
What is this burpseed mod?
You cut 5mm or so off the selector at the g/box end so it allows the rod to slide further on (where the pinch bolt is). This makes the gear lever sit further backwards so it's not as much of a stretch for 1st, 3rd and 5th. It's also closer to where your hand naturally drops down to.

You cut 5mm or so off the selector at the g/box end so it allows the rod to slide further on (where the pinch bolt is). This makes the gear lever sit further backwards so it's not as much of a stretch for 1st, 3rd and 5th. It's also closer to where your hand naturally drops down to.

Interesting... Do you have any pics or has anyone done a guide?

Christopher.

South Central-South Coast
ClioSport Area Rep
It only took me 3 nights as the linkage end was too small for the selector. I just got annoyed with it and left it twice. If it wasnt faulty it would of taken about 2 hours.

pure-motorsport

ClioSport Trader
  Clio 172
Hi Guys,
I've only just seen this thread hence the lack of reply up until now.
Yes the linkages rattle, as you know! They did rattle a whole lot worse on the prototypes until we put some 'anti rattle' o rings at the top and bottom of the inside of the reverse pull up sleeve so that the sleeve tube doesn't touch the gear lever rod. I thought the rattle was down to an 'acceptable' level for me at least but obviously not everyone agrees! They are designed for motorsport use and obviously all the compliance has been removed from the system and this allows all the noise and vibration to travel through the linkage itself.
If it's an issue and there are a lot of you who would like a solution we will look into a properly engineered fix like some tights wrapped round and tied to CD that you can put in your stereo. Or ear plugs.
But seriously we will look into something if there's enough interest.
Your feedback would be appreciated.

Cup In bits
They did rattle a whole lot worse on the prototypes until we put some 'anti rattle' o rings at the top and bottom of the inside of the reverse pull up sleeve so that the sleeve tube doesn't touch the gear lever rod

Im so good it hurts sometimes lol.

Question for you guys, have you evolved the design since release as I have the original group buy model but I fitted a friends one a few months later and I noticed knurling on the front part of the linkage and also changes to the bearings and bushes on the selector rod to gearstick swivel?

pure-motorsport

ClioSport Trader
  Clio 172
Yes we have made a few changes. We try to evolve all of our parts on every batch to continually improve the fit and quality.

Range Rover Sport
So if I buy one in 10 years there will be no rattles?

Joking aside what exactly do they do and 'can' they damage the gear box like a lot of other branded 'short' shifters do?

Cup In bits

Joking aside what exactly do they do and 'can' they damage the gear box like a lot of other branded 'short' shifters do?

You don't need an aftermarket shifter to damage a JC5, the standard shifter will do a lovely job of your synchros all by itself.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

It isnt a short shifter, its a longer shifter and then an adjustment to the underside of the lever too in order to get it back to the same ratio that you start with more or less.

so I see no reason it should make any difference to box life.

pure-motorsport

ClioSport Trader
  Clio 172

In 10 years they will change gear just by recognising your thought processes.
Joking aside, they enable accurate shifting and the gear-knob is actually where you can reach it. It's not a 'short shifter' so doesn't encourage synchro beating shifts but it's still down to the driver to shift slow enough to allow the synchros to work.

CLIO 182
I have one on my 182 and it's simply incredible. I use my car as a commuter and on the track and it's been nothing but flawless. It was so precise when I fitted it, that it highlighted a lot of gearbox movement so swiftly fitted poly mounts. And it's just a pleasure to use. Everyone who's driven it even the chaps at RSTuning and DTM loved the feel of it. The ever so slight rattle which I occasionally get at certain speeds is significantly outweighed by the pros.

The lever is higher up but the ratio is "shorter" at the gearbox end to reduce the leverage of the longer lever, resulting in a lovely throw with the added bonus of the higher lever. It's perfect and job well done at PMS hats of to them.

2003 Clio 172
I fitted mine last week and also have the horrible rattle. It won't bother me on the track, but I drive it on the road as well as the track and its particularly annoying.

If anyone has had any joy in reducing the rattle Id be interested to hear it. I'll try a few things myself this week, I was thinking about trying some nylon washers where the shifter connects to the rod.

Don't get me wrong, the shifter feels great and position is a massive improvement, but eliminating the rattle would finish the job.

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Am i the only one that doesn't 'love it' then? Does anyone actually use it for anything other than nipping to the shops? I find it hard to find gears, stiff and miss gears while racing regularly. If there was another solution out there it would be removed in a flash.
Russ

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Am i the only one that doesn't 'love it' then? Does anyone actually use it for anything other than nipping to the shops? I find it hard to find gears, stiff and miss gears while racing regularly. If there was another solution out there it would be removed in a flash.
Russ
I'll swap you for my Yanoo stiff shift and adjusted linkage if you want Russ! Lol! It's the same setup tony uses.

Russ

After seeing you struggle with it yesterday I must admit its a big flaw, especially being a 'Motorsport' part.

I've got one on my cup and I like to 'work' it through the gears, however without the pressure in racing.

I guess you could keep on tweaking it so that every gear is a bit easier? I know I had to play with mine a couple of times so that changing into any gear (apart from reverse) was smooth/easy.

Nick

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
The setup is the 'optimum' now as far as i'm concerned assuming it hasnt slipped but i've messed about with it previously and theres a very small window of adjustment available if you want to be able to select all gears inc reverse.
Russ

Must say, it only took about 2 attempts to get it perfect. I use 2nd to align it all, select second on the box, then get in and position it in 2nd on the stick, and then tighten.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Russ

I wasn't that impressed with the PMS shifter either TBH.

Johnpacey1

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I wasn't impressed with it on the road. A lot of money for not much difference.

Tried it on track and it made sense. No more reaching out and missing standard knob because the pure one is in your peripheral vision.

I'd recommend one if you do a lot of track days and get one second hand/cheap.

As for rattles just rest your hand against it and it goes away.