ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Pocket Wizards - Off Camera flash

LY 182 FF CUPPED
Brought my pocket wizards out with me to Afghan.
Looking to get some memorable portraits in and around camp. Didn't think I would use them for obvious reasons, but when things are quiet it is a good time to play.

I like the atmosphere it can give a portrait or "still life"

I took these yesterday, and hoping to use the same guy tonight once it gets dark.
I will add them into this thread if anyone is interested in having a look.
19x-2009-121-029.jpg

19x-2009-121-033.jpg

19x-2009-121-024.jpg

19x-2009-121-009.jpg

19x-2009-117-023.jpg

19x-2009-117-013.jpg

19x-2009-117-018.jpg

19x-2009-121-014.jpg

19x-2009-117-011.jpg

19x-2009-117-002.jpg

Last edited:
  LY 182 FF CUPPED
Thanks mate

I am having so much fun out here....best of all the guys just love having Photographs taken of themselves.

LY 182 FF CUPPED
couple from tonight, should be in The Observer next Sunday morning....keep your eyes peeled.

19x-2009-121-095.jpg

19x-2009-121-053.jpg

19x-2009-121-051.jpg

19x-2009-121-050.jpg

19x-2009-121-096.jpg

19x-2009-112-213.jpg

Last edited:

Ian

Focus TDCi
That last black and white one is a level above the rest imo, really good! I think you've maybe upped the clarity and sharpness or something? I like the others too, although there are a few that look a bit posed and two or three where the guys head is a bit distorted. Still, cracking set, looks like you're having a great time!

Stay safe. :)

Cupra
Have you thought about setting up a blog or something similar? You've got a while to go yet and already produced some amazing stuff. It would be a good way to publish your work and I bet you'd get a lot of readers/ followers.

Wow, the last b+w is awesome, great work man, im going to bookmark your blog. I look forward to seeing more.

MODDED 172
Dude some pics of you or the guys after going on patrol all dirty and sweaty would look the B******s i reckon creating even more realism to the pics

Megane RS 275 Trophy
Great set of images, I've just joined your blog. Keep them coming but most of all do it safely.

LY 182 FF CUPPED
Be patient with the whole Blog thing.....I only created it last week, don't have a clue about running one.
It will be a slow learning process.

LoW clio Sh*t...&..
Hey Do you ever get to work with different regiments? I mean have you worked with the Gurkhas as well?

LY 182 FF CUPPED
you can^^^^^ just get out there and shoot images.

My advice is go and shoot a subject or sport etc that you have never shot before.

People always stick to what they are comfortable with, this leads to "boring" images.

lets say....you have never been to a "POLO" match - you would see things that other people wouldn't see, it would all appear very new to you, and you would be "interested" in taking lots of images???

you have to push your boundaries sometimes.

Something we are all guilty of, including myself - is you approach something that you would like to take a photo of - out comes the camera....snap snap snap....the picture was taken at 5ft 11....now how boring is that!!!

Everytime you go to take a shot...ask yourself this......how would it look, from a low angle, high angle, wide angle or close in??? Could I light it better?
Take 5 or 6 shots of the same image but from different angles....in essence...."work the subject".

Here is a good exercise to try..........go somewhere new to you, and stand still - imagine a 10 metre circle around you that is 100 metres high....and produce 10 images....which you need to "exhibit" to fellow photographers to criticise.

Take your time - be original..........but again..think wide, think narrow, think colours, think texture, think negative space, think close, think contrast, think time of day, think silhouettes, think exposure, think focal length, think point of focus, think about your backgrounds.......and as a last resort ........and I mean last resort......think Photoshop to rescue you.

Never walk around aimlessly expecting something to happen - because it won't...you need to "MAKE" it happen with what you have available to you.

Seriously though...stay away from Photoshop unless it is for "Darkroom techniques"
i.e cropping,dodge & burn, levels, sharpening, vignetting.....thats it.....if you want your photography to improve that is.

I want to see your images...you got 48 hours !!!!