ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Point of the 182’s twin exhaust (no 56k)

Just wondered really - is it more decorative than actually power-enhancing?

Looking at the 2nd pic on oldmans GDI clio thread http://forum.cliosport.net/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=13&TopicID=124694&PagePosition=1http://forum.cliosport.net/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=13&TopicID=124694&PagePosition=1

http://users.mwhq.net/Spammy/allpics.jpg

it makes me wonder if it wouldnt have made more sense to make it a single exit, stick a bigger bore on it and route it elsewhere other than through the spare wheel area, meaning you could actually carry a spare if you wanted to...

perhaps?!?

VaVa

Im not sure, but I think you might be right. I think the whole idea behind the 182 having a twin exhaust in the first place was more about a Renaultsport family image than anything else.

Looking at the above design (from a laymans point of view), although I cant actually see the T-peice/branch itself, it looks as though most of the gases will escape through the left-hand exit anyway.

Its actually a Y piece, and i think they had to do something to the 182 to change it from the 172. It seems to be doing quite well for itself!

LY 200

I like them!!!

I think it gives the 182s rear a much sportier look than the 172 had!!!

Having only done 100 miles in my 182 it definately feels freer revving throughout the rev range than my 172 did, even after i had run it in and got some miles under its belt. tbh i can only really see this being down to the revised exhaust manifold and system. Definately has a nicer exhaust note than the 172 had too.

Lee

BMW M2C

They get quite a lot louded once its been thrashed. Still nothing like the Magnex I had on the 172 though, but I prefer it like this now.

Quote: Originally posted by Viv172 on 30 November 2004

Quote: Originally posted by Loony on 30 November 2004

Definately has a nicer exhaust note than the 172 had too.
Really? I was disappointed at how quiet they are (my sis has a 182) :confused:

obviously its ALOT quieter than the supersprint race system on my 172 but factory system against factory system the 182 sounds better IMO

give me a chance i only picked the f**ker up this saturday! and xmas is making a major dent in my cash so mods have been shelved for a couple of months :cry:

Quote: Originally posted by Viv172 on 30 November 2004

Definately has a nicer exhaust note than the 172 had too.
Really? I was disappointed at how quiet they are (my sis has a 182) :confused:

obviously its ALOT quieter than the supersprint race system on my 172 but factory system against factory system the 182 sounds better IMO
Yeah, probably didnt help that Ive got so used to my Magnex and I did have the dam 4k rattle on the standard one!! lol!!

VaVa

The 172 has an exhaust note? Mine hasnt. All I can hear is induction!!:cry:

I know that they also changed the standard Cat on the 182 for a more free-flowing one. This will also have helped.

Im no expert, but surely going 4-3-2-1 (or whatever the manifold does) then back to 2 will not be as free flowing as a straight piece of pipe.

But then again you do need a certain amount of back- pressure i.e a certain diameter etc to get the vacuum effect...
:confused:

[Edited by lagerlout1 on 30 November 2004 at 2:34pm]

[Edited by lagerlout1 on 30 November 2004 at 2:34pm]

CLIO 197 Ultra red

Quote: Originally posted by Spammy on 30 November 2004

Its actually a Y piece, and i think they had to do something to the 182 to change it from the 172. It seems to be doing quite well for itself!
im a pipefitter and its definatelt a tee piece.lol.. a swept tee anyway... :)

Its all for the look, theres nothing to be gained from it. I doubt it would hinder performance the way it is either, the better manifold, cat and midsection is where the system is better than the 172.

IMO a V6 style one would have been the way to go if they wanted to do twin exit.