ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Police have found my 172 cup!

172 cup
Hey guys,

Had a phone call from the police on Saturday morning to tell me they'd found my stolen 172 cup on someone's drive with false plates on! Absolutely unbelieveable, it was just sat on their drive locked up like it was their car......only 3 miles from my house!!! :mad:

I still haven't seen it yet so I don't know if it damaged or not, I'm still waiting for the police forensics team to fingerprint it etc... Then apparently the insurance company are going to recover it at which point I'll get to see it. Then they'll repair any damage. I'll get it back in an average of 8 WEEKS!

I'll be glad to get it back (eventually!!!) but it's now got stolen & recovered on the HPI and I've got no idea what it's been used for during the last 10 days! I'm gutted!

Cro

Meg'd r27
at least its back mate... 3 miles thats absolutely nuts!!! I wonder were they sold the car or did they steal it! 8 weeks for 3 miles is a nightmare, but at least it'll be back good as new hopefully

Porsche Boxster987S
least they found it. but tbh if it was mine i dont know id WANT to drive it :(

172 cup
I don't really think I've got a choice. If there's no damage I've gotta have it back......I can't even sell it because it'll be worth about £3500 with 'stolen and recovered' on the HPI!

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
might not have been driven like fook. if someone has gone to the bother of sticking false plates on it and driving it, would they want to drive like a ***** and draw attention to themselves?

i am assuming of course, the person who had it, knew it was stolen.

of course, maybe im trying to see the good in the bad situation...

172 cup
I spoke to my insurance company this morning. The woman on the end of the phone said that 'Stolen' is put on the HPI as soon as I report the car stolen. Then if it is found 'Stolen and Recovered' gets put on. I even asked her if I paid for any damage myself, could the HPI be kept clean. She said no! I'm really confused.

Also, what do you mean I don't have to accept it back?! Are you suggesting I can decide whether to have my car back or have it 'bought' off me by the insurance company?! Tell me more...

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Im guessing the car has probably been sold to some unsuspecting idiot after been put on false plates.

I very much doubt that the people who nicked it would drive it around 3 miles from where they took it, false plates or not.

Motorbikes
I even asked her if I paid for any damage myself, could the HPI be kept clean. She said no! I'm really confused.

Dont see whats confusing about this? Surely everything in the car's history should be recorded?

Glad its found for you though mate! How did they find it if it had false plates on it?

cock mobile.
Will it actually show up on a HPi as stolen and recovered? Not very fair is it really

Well as a buyer I'd want to know if a car was stolen and recovered, so it is fair.

Honestly though mate I'm gutted for you, all this "oh glad you got it back" stuff is rubbish.

If my car was nicked I wouldn't want it back, just a decent pay out.

RB 182 & Lotus Evora
To be fair though, would you want to be the person to purchase a stolen recovered car without knowing? I know for a fact if i wasnt aware it was stolen and found out by some other means, id be very annoyed....so im glad this is in place to help protect the buyer....as s**t as that may be for the victim in all of this.

Bascially what he said ^

Last edited:
  172 cup
The guys who had it on their driveway have been arrested, apparently they had stuff from 8 other buglaries in my car! Definitely not innocent. Having said that, I bet they're out of prison before I even get my car back from the insurance company! :mad:

172 cup
I agree that buyers need to know whether a car has been stolen but I've lost about £3k through no fault of my own! + I've gotta pay a £400 excess before any damage is repaired!

There should be something in place where I can claim the loss of value from the scumbags that stole my car! Never gonna happen though is it?!

If a car has been stolen and then recovered, it should show up on the report!

Glad they've found it and it's in one piece!!

172 cup
^^ pretty sure the insurance company would tell you to go f**k yourself with a giant wooden spoon

Ha ha ha! I think you're probably right. Wish they'd never found my car and I'd got a nice pay out to spend on something new, even though I do miss my cup!

cock mobile.
I agree that buyers need to know whether a car has been stolen but I've lost about £3k through no fault of my own! + I've gotta pay a £400 excess before any damage is repaired!

There should be something in place where I can claim the loss of value from the scumbags that stole my car! Never gonna happen though is it?!

I agree, it's a crappy thing to happen, you'll be out of pocket because of it.

Your only hope / joy is that they get put down for a while.

Motorbikes
Think it was aimed at G4Z Lee, that your insurance company would rather give you your car back than pay out.

Think it was aimed at G4Z Lee, that your insurance company would rather give you your car back than pay out.

Agreed if he rejects the car they will have to auction it as stolen recovered and they will get less than what they pay out. Either way Lee or the insurance company is going to be out of pocket, I know which I'd prefer.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
There is a defo grey area...If my car was stolen and recovered...I wouldn't want to listed on HPi...So in essence i'd be losing money and the insurance company wouldn't of lost anything??!

Granted if the car was stolen, i'd been reinbursed then it turned up..it's then not my issue...

Think you should find out your rights and speak to your insurance company mate. I think there's a good chance you won't have to take the car back or at least be compensated for the drop in it's value as the whole point in insurance is that you are in the same financial position after the incident as you were before it.

LY V6 with Recaros
Glad they've found it, but it's a rubbish situation to have. Don't think I'd want it back after it had been stolen, plus as you've said, you wont get all the money back now because it wont be worth as much when you sell.

M2 Competition
If you've lost money thats sh*tty mate. Speak to the police and see if you can get the decrease in value of the car back through the thieves. Maybe by pursuing a civil damages claim. Even if you got a grand be worth it.

H22A7 Accord Type R
another case of the genuine paying motorist getting analy invaded!!! I hope things work out well for you buddy, either way.