ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Police view on de-cat's...

Clio 182
Has anyone ever had their car inspected and de-cat commented on? I know the average policeman in a panda car wouldn't know a VW VR6 from an vauxhall ecotec engine but if you got a traffic cop trained as they should be surely they could do you for it?

Just wondering on what the legalities of this are...

I suppose I could just say its part of my exhaust which is declared on the insurance.

Thanks

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
AFAIK, they fail the MOT if you have a Decat, so it is technically illegal to drive on the road with one, as you would fail an MOT.

It would be hard for them to prove that you had one on the roadside, surely they would need to do an emissions test?

M135i
It's a con and use regs offence. Remind me tuesday and i'll dig out the legislation if you wish when I'm back at work.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
There was a guy on Pheads that had a nasty crash in his Impreza. Total write-off, running a decat, no pay-out. Up to you if you feel the risk is worth it.

Clio 172 Cup
I ran a straight thro pipe with a decat on my 172 and have had no bother from the police. And when it comes to your MOT just find a garage that will bypass the emissions test for you.

None :(
There was a guy on Pheads that had a nasty crash in his Impreza. Total write-off, running a decat, no pay-out. Up to you if you feel the risk is worth it.

I always thought this to. As much as i would luv a decat, i just don't think it would be worth the risk. Unless the car was worth say less than 1k.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
It's such a grey area, I don't think I've read anything that conclusively says yay/no. For me, not worth the hassle. Just obliterate the inside's of the cat. Will look fine on inspection.

Megane 225 F1
Great. I' getting mine fitted today LOL.

Well I'l see what happens when I ring these insurance people for renewal next month.

the car has to be manufactured with one and pass its emissions tests thats all it doesnt have to have one once its been built as long as it passes its emissions test (chances are it wont)

when i had mine i just told her it was a manifold back exhaust system it was except there was no cat and no place for one

Ph 1 172
I'm insured with sky on here and the insure me with my decat, was onset the impression you have to get your car re mot'd

Clio 197
I'm insured with sky on here and the insure me with my decat, was onset the impression you have to get your car re mot'd

yeah with greenlight they advised me if i fitted a decat to my previous car (scooby) i would have to get it emissions tested to ensure its still road legal, if not road legal then strictly speaking you wont have any insurance...its the risk you take

Last edited:
  200 with booost
197s and 200's have two cats, mine was tested for emmissions both before and after being fitted with a Milltek cat back system with decat pipe... It passed both, yes the car was cold when tested but it still passed.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
I told my insurance I have got a manifold back exhaust system. Even wrote this down on the modified car report form. Can't see how they could get out of paying tbh.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I told my insurance I have got a manifold back exhaust system. Even wrote this down on the modified car report form. Can't see how they could get out of paying tbh.
If your car won't pass an MOT, it's not road legal. If it's not road legal, you're not insured. You've not actually declared that you aren't running a cat, for all they know you're running a sports cat.

For the small difference it makes, it's not worth the potential hassle.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
If your car won't pass an MOT, it's not road legal. If it's not road legal, you're not insured. You've not actually declared that you aren't running a cat, for all they know you're running a sports cat.

Yes but they have provided me with insurance knowing I have fitted a manifold back exhaust system? Surely if they weren't going to pay out they should have declined to insure with such a modification?

Secondly, i have known cars pass emissions testing with de-cats but i'm not sure if the grey area is with regards to the emissions the car kicks out, or not having a cat fitted. (I.E if your car passes emissions its fine).

Lastly, in heinsight I agree it isn't worth the hasstle and I will probably revert back to a cat at some point as the car is really loud. Devils advocate here - would my insurance may pay out If I didn't tell them I have a cat back exhaust (instead of a mani back) if I have a crash?

I would tell them mind. just curious. about the flip side of the coin

If you just had the inner bits bashed out of a normal cat (diy decat) and you get pulled by Vosa/emissions peoples, could you just claim that your cat had deteriorated without your knowing? Or would they call bullshit?

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
If you just had the inner bits bashed out of a normal cat (diy decat) and you get pulled by Vosa/emissions peoples, could you just claim that your cat had deteriorated without your knowing? Or would they call bulls**t?

Yeh but why would you ruin a cat which costs £1,000+ new from the dealers lol

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Yes but they have provided me with insurance knowing I have fitted a manifold back exhaust system? Surely if they weren't going to pay out they should have declined to insure with such a modification?

Secondly, i have known cars pass emissions testing with de-cats but i'm not sure if the grey area is with regards to the emissions the car kicks out, or not having a cat fitted. (I.E if your car passes emissions its fine).

Lastly, in heinsight I agree it isn't worth the hasstle and I will probably revert back to a cat at some point as the car is really loud. Devils advocate here - would my insurance may pay out as I didn't tell them I have a cat back exhaust (instead of a mani back if I have a crash?)
A cat back system wouldn't render your car non-roadworthy. You know the score with insurance, not declaring is no excuse, I believe the term they use when you take out a policy is declaration of truth. You haven't told them you're removed the cat, as said you can have a manifold back system with a cat still in place.

I doubt it would be an issue unless it was a total loss claim, or there was an eagle eyed guy at the repair centre. But even if it's a 1% chance, sack risking the value of the car for something that's 50% placebo!

Black Gold Trophy

That is absolute bullsh*t
Your car wont pass an MOT if you have sidelight bulb gone, that doesnt mean your car is not road legal, it means at the most if a copper is feeling really nasty he can issue you with a defect notice which gives you 14 days to rectify the problem and have the car re-MOT'd in order to confirm the defect has been rectified and you have to produce the certificate at your local police station.

Also just because your car has a decat fitted does not mean it wont pass an MOT. However it does need to pass an emissions test, it is unlikely if you have fitted a decat you will pass, but it is possible none the less.

Ph 1 172
Surely if you declare the decat, they put it on your policy it means your cover by your insurance in the event of a crash, if not what's the point in declaring any mod as people on here have extremely low cars on coilovers which could be taken as not safe/dangerous to drive. It would be good to see if sky on here or the other insurance company would pay out for someone with a decat. Ebb I told them I have put one on they said nothing about not paying out in event of a crash

Turbos.
That's only relevant if you are pulled over. What if you had a crash, and an insurance assessor found you had a modification not declared?

I'm sure you could get round it with a decent lawyer, but technically your insurance is invalid.

Clio 182
MOT station refused to fit a decat and advised me its illegal and sounds s**t...

Just about to finish work and drive up to my mates to fit it now... ;)

M135i
That is absolute bullsh*t
Your car wont pass an MOT if you have sidelight bulb gone, that doesnt mean your car is not road legal, it means at the most if a copper is feeling really nasty he can issue you with a defect notice which gives you 14 days to rectify the problem and have the car re-MOT'd in order to confirm the defect has been rectified and you have to produce the certificate at your local police station.

This..... is not true. Thats one of the options open to an officer to deal with the defect.

nice thing with discretion is: words of advice, VDRS, ticket, report for summons.

172 ph1
well the guy who runs a custom exhaust place up here told me...its ok before 1999 but can face a fine after and if it passes its emissions which is unlikely its perfectly ok?