ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Polish and shine!

ClioSport 182

I gave my black 182 a well deserved wash (but not polish) this weekend and it came up looking a treat, or so I thought ... With direct sunlight on the bonnet and from a certain angle it would seem that there were loads of fingerprints, which moved with my motion. Not too sure what it the cause of this ... Without direct sunlight it looks great!

I have waxed the car once in the past with Autoglym Super Resin and have never taken the 182 to a car wash. I a little reluctant to attack the bonnet again with the Autoglym. Just in case its something more sinister which needs different attention.

Thanks for any help!

KnightAzul

Skoda Fabia vRS

on such a new car you probably wont need to polish, use a wax

go for something like Meguiars Paste Wax #16

no abrasives, very durable, great shine, VERY cheap

you can buy it from Serious Performance which is where i get all my stuff from

http://www.seriousperformance.co.ukwww.seriousperformance.co.uk - mailto:serious_performance@hotmail.com">serious_performance@hotmail.com

not sure if its on the site but email him im certain he has some in stock

Remapped derv Golf

Autoglym Super Resin Polish isnt wax.

Get some Meguiars NXT Tech Wax. Seems very very gold on black cars - Well on my mate 52 reg HRV anyway. Seem to do both polish and wax and also removes most marks.

Or like Brun says just use something like #16 - about £12.

Yaris Hybrid

Thats black cars for you mate. My Vectra was like that, you had to use Super Resin Polish everytime it was washed otherwise when you looked at the car in the light it looked all smeared like someone had rubbed greasy hands over it! Some Autoglym soon sorted it out.

Tried Meguiars Gold Class and the new NXT stuff. Was no better or no worse than Autoglym, just takes longer to dry so would rather use AG.

Have never tried these pastes.

Remapped derv Golf

Maybe I depends on the paint work. Autogylm is sh*te on the Hondas paintwork but NXT is much better. Ive not found S/resin any good on my Cup either.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Quote: Originally posted by BRUN on 28 September 2004

strange, i find NXT to be far ahead of AG SR
As do i but you need to have some skill when using nxt. and remember what bits you did.

ClioSport 182

Thanks for the advice. I have purchase the Autoglym wax as I it would seem that I cant get Meguiars here in Spain. Ill give her a good waxing over the weekend ;)

Sorry, I was confusing polish with wax before ... should they be used one after another? which one comes first?

KnightAzul

Golf R32 & 172 CUP

Meguiars everyday!

ive not waxedd mine yet only had it for a month - but its a 53plate and the paint is fine! no smears or inperfections i wash it about three times a week so its always clean

ClioSport 182

Three times a week!! Do you get out much ... ;)

Which one goes first wax or polish, or using the both would be overkill???

... it would seem that the Autoglym "Super Resin Polish" is a kind of wax anyway. From reading around a little, most people suggest that for new car Autoglym "Extra Gloss Protection" should be sufficient as a polish ...

KnightAzul

i find using AG not a problem

apply the super resin polish first, then give it a coat of extra gloss protection that should do the trick :)

^^^ yup, thats what i do ^^^

...and has worked just fine for me so far!

However, reading here, some folks gave me the impression that a polish may be a bit harsh on the paint and so shouldnt be used again (and again, and again, and again) without waxing inbetween. E.g. wax, wax, wax, wax, wax, polish, wax, wax, wax, wax, polish etc..... I.e. each waxing builds up a coat of protection, then the polish is used to cut back through any grime that may have gotten into the wax coating. then repeat..

Please can someone confirm whether this is the correct/best approach, or whether AG Super Resin is fine time after time.... ta!

glad to here im not the only one who washes his car more than once a week lol. im sure my neighbours think im daft. autoglm works well on mine!

AG resin polish works well and looks good but ultimatly is abrasive and is a complete no go - best to be avoided.

People do seem to be confusing polish with waxs

Polishs can be split into non abraisve glazes which nourish the paintwork and the abrasive variety which can be used for scratch removal.

A wax will simply protedct and waterproof your paintwork. Wax as often as you like as it will not harm your car.

Polish when the shine has dulled typically every 3-6 months, strip the wax first however as you are polishing the paintwork not removing dirt from the wax coating!

ClioSport 182

Thanks for the info brazo. Just one question will waxing help with my original question/problem, or as I am inclined the think from your post that this a question of giving it a good polishing.

KnightAzul

Clio 172 Mk2

Right... chaps... DO NOT USE A POLISH ON NEW CARS!

Polishes are abrasive. Notice how some of that colour comes off onto the polishing rag! Each time you use it, you strip a little bit of paint of the bodywork! You remove some of that clear coat that the car came with from the factory! Use a wax (I use Meguiars Gold Class, but Ive heard good reports of NXT). You can use as often as you like, and these particular waxes do remove very minor swirl marks.

If your car is a little older and paintwork is a little deterioated with some ingrained marks & dirt, use a good polish (AG Super Resin is good) and then always wax (Gold Class or NXT best for shine & protection). Dont polish very often (maybe once every 3 months or so) but wax regularly.

It horrifies me when I see people using a polish on a new car!:eek:

the only autoglym product thats none abrasive is the extra gloss protection, it even stats this if you bother to read the bottle, extra gloss is suposed to be used to remove minor swerl marks etc but dont apply to much preasure again read the lable ;) <SCRIPT language=javascript>

[Edited by blaupunkt on 30 September 2004 at 8:53am]

Quote: Originally posted by KnightAzul on 29 September 2004

Thanks for the info brazo. Just one question will waxing help with my original question/problem, or as I am inclined the think from your post that this a question of giving it a good polishing.

KnightAzul
Personally I would try a paint cleaner to remove said marks, woulnt nornmally recommend on brand new paintwork but if theyve gota go, theyve gotta go!

Try clear coat body scrub

http://shop.meguiars.co.uk/cgi-bin/specwd.pl?pc=A1016&tp=0http://shop.meguiars.co.uk/cgi-bin/specwd.pl?pc=A1016&tp=0

[Edited by brazo on 30 September 2004 at 12:56pm]