ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Polishing - New to it

Gort a day off tomorow so going to give the motor a decent clean. Bought a snow foam and the usual stuff so that should be fun but have also bought - "Autoglym Super Resin Polish" http://www.i4detailing.co.uk/acatalog/Autoglym_Super_Resin_Polish_1.html

Got the polishing cloths to go with it but my question is how do you actually go about starting polishing? Iv never really had the urge to polish my previous cars but the 182 shows up a couple of swirl marks from the previous owners and i want to get the car looking in good nick.

Can people give me some tips how to start off and how to achieve the best results.

Much appreciated,

paddy

Just FYI, AG SRP is not a particularly abrasive polish, so it wont remove a lot of swirls, as it 'mask's a lot of them with fillers etc. So dont be disappointed that the swirls are still there.

As for polishing itself, just put a 5p blob on the cloths and work into a DRY car in small sections.
After that, just buff off with a good quality buffing towel/cloth and it should look super shiny :)
If you still have swirls, you'll probably need to use a machine polisher, which is a completely different kettle of fish!!

Any other questions, just ask :)

C

clvs2222

And you'll have arms like popeye after you've dont the whole car by hand.

Rite thanks.

Il give the car a go with the snowfoam then try the polish. AS its still winter im not looking for the perfect look just yet. just trying to get the hang of things. Bloody roads area mare this time of the year.

thanks for the help tho.

106 GTi
SRP is so easy to use you wont be tired from doing a whole car, just don't expect it to work miracles on any swirl marks, apply with a foam hand pad to a panel at a time, work it well so you don't get dusting.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
SRP isn't great imo! if your going to polish your car do it properly. Go MENZ/3M or Blackfire.

Machine polish too! The keep it maintianed with seal's and wax.

I only bought it as it was pretty cheap, im starting out and its a decent make. Im sure once i get to grips with it and use it up the next time i buy il aim for summin better/waht suites my needs.