ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Poor Liquid Yellow Clio

LY182/NHB CTR
It all started back at the beginning of July when Ants (my better half) decided he was fed up of driving crappy £500 diesels and wanted something more exciting to drive and something to keep up with my now very modified CTR.

He was looking at the Mazda mps but they were why too pricey for what he wanted. I've owned and driven Clio Sports now since around 2003 and I have always said they are great value for money and a real fun car so I talked him into taking a 182 for a spin needless to say he loved it and so now we were on the hunt for a cheapish 182.

Ants has always been a 2 wheel man and loved his sports motorbikes his favorite bike being his Yellow GSXR 600 below

2004GSXR600yellow.jpg

I remembered his yellow bike and so showed him a few yellow 182's and well that was it.. it had to be a Liquid Yellow 182 so the hunt started.

At the time there wasn’t many on the market and all were asking for a lot more then the average price tag so this wasn't going to be easy.

Anyway to cut a long story short we went to view the car that was the cheapest, lowest mileage and closest to us. The owner was expecting us and had told me it was in great condition other then a minor bump to the front bumper which we had a photo of and Ants wasnt bothered about.

As we drove up to the house the sun was shiny on the LY Clio and I could see Ants eyes light up it was love at first sight lol

The car was stinking dirty, and there was loads of faults just looking at it.. it was far from in good conditions let alone great.. We took it for a test drive which confirmed the brakes were rubbish there was a suspension issue, exhaust was blowing but none of this put Ants off, oh no this was the car he wanted so it was down to me to get a good price otherwise he would have just brought it for the asking price.. I made an offer it was refused and we drove away.. I have to say at this point I was feeling really guilty now.. anyway few mins later phone call to say they excepted the offer, so happy faced Ants turned around and we went back.

This was just after we picked the car up and stopped off for a pub lunch

Day1.jpg

LY182/NHB CTR
Clio Faults/Fix's

Ok these are all the faults/fixed that we noticed needed doing on the day of purchase

extras_montagecopy.jpg

• New tyres all round below legal limit one was wrong size
  • Brake pads and discs need changing
  • Scuffed and scratched alloys all round
  • Scratched and broken front bumper
  • No Front splitter
  • Broken fog light
  • Rear wiper broken
  • Rear strip light not working
  • ECU bracket broken
  • Crap & Dirty Air box
  • Front Tinted windows pealing
  • Tile pipe exhaust needs replacing
  • Side bullets painted and pealing
  • Sports badge in bad shape
  • Callipers needed repainting
  • Suspension issue (rubbing)
  • Wheel arches need replacing
  • Live wires left in boot
  • Door dents in both doors

There is probably more but thats all I can think of now....

extras_montage2.jpg

LY182/NHB CTR
So got the car back to my house and gave it a dam good clean inside and out.. Got the black flaking paint of the side bullets and removed the sport badge off the back which had seen better days... its amazing what a good clean can do to a car

IMG_0031.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg

Enginebay1.jpg

LY182/NHB CTR
Over the next few weeks the most important thing was to get this car ROAD WORTHY!!!!

So first on the list

• New Tyres all round Michelin PS3
  • New Standard discs
  • New Brake pads
  • New Goodridge brake lines
  • Brake fluid change
  • New Fog light
  • New wipers all round
  • New rear brake light strip
  • Oil filter change
  • ECU engine bracket

Yes the brakes really were that bad!! :shock:

Brakes.jpg

Then it was test drive up the Black Mountain

The test drive confirmed that there really was some supension issues as the front wheels were rubbing on the wheel archs and this kind of explained why the plastic wheel arches were missing.. So next on the list was suspenion.

IMG_0069.jpg

IMG_0049.jpg

LY182/NHB CTR
Over the next few weekends it was all about getting the suspension right..

After stripping it all down it was decided that the springs currently on the car were not even fit for a pram :lol: (I have some photos but for the life of me I can't find them)
Not to mention after seeing the brakes etc it was decided the best option was to get all new.

• New Renault Cup Rear Shock Absorbers
  • New Renault Cup Front Shock Absorbers
  • New Eibach Sportline Spring Kit
  • Powerflex Poly Suspension Bushes
  • New Renault Suspension Stoppers

After getting all this sort it was a blast up the mountain again for a test run and bingo no rubbing and handling much better :thumbsup:

How the car sits now with standard cup suspension and eibach sportline springs.

IMG_0233.jpg

While the suspension issue was being sorted out the Clio had a few other little gifts

• Renault Stanard Air box
  • itg filter
  • Alloy Footrest
  • Alloy engine cover bolts

New Renault Air box
IMG_0224.jpg

Alloy Footrest & engine cover bolts
IMG_0192.jpg

LY182/NHB CTR
Next on the list was new exhaust and there was only one place to go for that Charlie at Pro Speed

Pro-Speed Exhuast

IMAG0403.jpg

IMG_0236.jpg

IMAG0402.jpg

Really should do a sound clip as it really does sound amazing :D

feedtop.jpg

As there was no service history on this car thought it would be wise to the belts done etc. So we decided to pay RenTech in Portsmouth a visit.

• Cambelt kit
  • Accessory belt kit
  • De-phaser pulley
  • New sparks
  • General look over & health check

LY182/NHB CTR
As you can imagine a lot of money has been spent on the car and although you could tell a massive difference in the drive there wasnt much you can see on the outside.

A few items were brought ready to go on the car once some cash has been saved for

• Wheels refurbing
  • New front bumper
  • Respray front end

New items brought & waiting to be fitted

• Carbon fiber front splitter
  • Carbon fiber fog surrounds
  • Carbon fiber exhaust surrounds

So it was decided that we would just go out and have some fun driving the car, after all that is what it is built for ;)

Summer Brecon Drive

Clio next to my CTR

20110807_CharityBreconDrive_6.jpg

20110807_CharityBreconDrive_45.jpg

Snowy Brecon Drive (font window tints removed)

Me enjoying the mountains with my good friend Ian from North Yorkshire

20120203_SnowyBrecon_3.jpg

20120203_SnowyBrecon_18.jpg

Just out and about

IMG_0186.jpg

Melyn-1.jpg

IMG_0213.jpg

LY182/NHB CTR
With various bills to pay and the aftermarth of Christmas not to mention work things havent really moved much with the Clio and Ants kind of lost interest a little now shes running fine..

Both CV boots needed replacing (again) so this was on the to do list last weekend and while the wheels were off thought it would be time to give them a good clean up and re paint the callipers..

Here is the result - front & back painted

IMG_0265.jpg

IMG_0262.jpg

IMG_0261.jpg

They do need another coat but looking much better then before.

So next stop is getting the alloys refurbed and removing the door dents before the front end done...

Hopefully I will be able to give you some more updates so you can see this poor LY Clio transformed (although it will NEVER be a show car but will always be a very well driven car ;) )

Thanks for reading :)

Clio
Really nice transformation! It's always a shame to see any 182 let alone a LY treated so badly, nice to see it's in safe hands now!

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member
A really good read!! and have really transformed the car by buying and getting the right bits done. will be keeping my eye on this thread :approve:

LY182/NHB CTR
Wow big thank you everyone for lovely comments

Looks good! Which calliper paint did you use?

Just yellow hammerite.. cleaned the callipers up first got rid of the flakey paint etc and gave them a couple of coats they are not purfect and could do with another coat really but time was getting on.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
That looks lovely, Lyn. Good to see it's now in safe hands and... er... under "spirited driving feet"?! :D Spoilt for choice, too - a cracking modded CTR or rare LY Clio 182. Decisions decisions. Enjoy!

LY182/NHB CTR
cars getting some good old tlc good stuff and color is one of the best they come in imo, good read mate

It certainly is thank you :)

Great write up, love the colour aswell

Thank you and yes I love to colour too :)

That looks lovely, Lyn. Good to see it's now in safe hands and... er... under "spirited driving feet"?! :D Spoilt for choice, too - a cracking modded CTR or rare LY Clio 182. Decisions decisions. Enjoy!

It will certainly be interesting to see this LY182 around the bont.. but I really think we should get a roll cage for it first lol

LY182/NHB CTR
Lovely!! Shame about the bullets, id of swapped you my standard ones for those!!

The paint was all pealed and one of the clips is broken so I wouldnt have been happy swapping them with someone to be honest... I'm hoping to get new ones and bin those :)

2014 Clio 200t edc
The paint was all pealed and one of the clips is broken so I wouldnt have been happy swapping them with someone to be honest... I'm hoping to get new ones and bin those :)

Fair enough, like your honesty to be honest! Great work on the car too! Any videos of the exhaust please?

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
It will certainly be interesting to see this LY182 around the bont.. but I really think we should get a roll cage for it first lol
LMAO! Oh boy... it's in for a ragging! ;) (although I expect it will be right at home around there). Are you taking both your CTR and the LY182? Either way, be careful and don't do a "Phil"...

LY182/NHB CTR
That's a beaut of a car

Thank you :) its getting there

Great write up.

Thank you :)

Fair enough, like your honesty to be honest! Great work on the car too! Any videos of the exhaust please?

I always think it is the best policy ;) I will have to pull my finger out and get some videos of the exhaust in action if only just a crappy mobile phone one.

LMAO! Oh boy... it's in for a ragging! ;) (although I expect it will be right at home around there). Are you taking both your CTR and the LY182? Either way, be careful and don't do a "Phil"...

What do you mean in for one.. its had plenty of ragging over the mountain every weekend lol Hell yes I wont be leaving my CTR at home for all the money in the world not on that event no way!!! lol oh yes Phils corner, Edds bend and Giles spin out which was caught on camera he was sooooo lucky.. thankfully last year we had no bumps even tho we were all showing off to the camera man lol

Lovely looking car. Look so much better with new suspension :)

Thank you and it drives soooo much better with the new suspension too :)

Mini Cooper S sport
Some serious work has gone into that, it's great to see an LY 182 getting some proper attention as they're so rare. It was very neglected and sad to see, but will soon be back to its former glory. Most people would have walked away (so I hope you got it cheap!)

You are obviously a woman who loves her cars.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
What do you mean in for one.. its had plenty of ragging over the mountain every weekend lol Hell yes I wont be leaving my CTR at home for all the money in the world not on that event no way!!! lol oh yes Phils corner, Edds bend and Giles spin out which was caught on camera he was sooooo lucky.. thankfully last year we had no bumps even tho we were all showing off to the camera man lol
Oh, I don't doubt it Lyn. When you've got the mountain road as a back garden to play in... petrolhead heaven. :D Oh, as much as I like the idea of naming the bends, etc. after members' mishaps I hope there are no more! Looking forward to more photos and vids of the LY182 (and the CTR for that matter).

LY182/NHB CTR
Some serious work has gone into that, it's great to see an LY 182 getting some proper attention as they're so rare. It was very neglected and sad to see, but will soon be back to its former glory. Most people would have walked away (so I hope you got it cheap!)

You are obviously a woman who loves her cars.

It was so sad to see the state the car was in.. and yes it would have been much easier to walk away from it.. thankfully we did get it for a good price which was just as well seeing as there were a couple of unexpected surprises wrong with it..

Oh yes I certainly love my cars as my late father use to say "she treats her cars better then her men" lol (shut it SharkyUK! lol)

Oh, I don't doubt it Lyn. When you've got the mountain road as a back garden to play in... petrolhead heaven. :D Oh, as much as I like the idea of naming the bends, etc. after members' mishaps I hope there are no more! Looking forward to more photos and vids of the LY182 (and the CTR for that matter).

Me too thankfully last year there was no damage done just a very close call... There are a few of Llandow and the Rally weekend on Rebel from last year events and I'm sure there will be more this year too lol

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Oh yes I certainly love my cars as my late father use to say "she treats her cars better then her men" lol (shut it SharkyUK! lol)
ROFLMFAO!!! No comment ma'am... although Grumpy was a wise and much respected guy who didn't often get things wrong! LOL! :D You're a bit of a chip off the old block it must be said; no bad thing and with petrol running through the veins. Super unleaded of course.

Me too thankfully last year there was no damage done just a very close call... There are a few of Llandow and the Rally weekend on Rebel from last year events and I'm sure there will be more this year too lol
Glad to hear no damage was done. I'm sure all will be well this year, too - I know the events are well organised and managed. It was a bit of a hold-your-breath moment seeing Giles sliding at the Bont though; just seen Jamie's video. Phew!

emc

172 Cup
Posting so I can follow the progress of this, great work done so far. Think I might need to do some of this work on my own, just need to get the money in the bank first!