ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

poor mpg and running

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Without decat was 36 ish on average driving. Hard driving 33/34. Got a decat on now and it's dropped a bit. Looking at 33 all the time.

R

Ryan varns

v-power fuel is a higher burning fuel so you will use more fuel when running on v power but shouldnt be that much, stupid question but do you reset the trip computer when you re-fuel. If you travel in rush hour or some traffic it seriously kills mpg, also if you run around on tick over the car tends to over fuel because it thinks its going to stall so it fuels the engine more,

Clio 172 Sport
v-power fuel is a higher burning fuel so you will use more fuel when running on v power but shouldnt be that much, stupid question but do you reset the trip computer when you re-fuel. If you travel in rush hour or some traffic it seriously kills mpg, also if you run around on tick over the car tends to over fuel because it thinks its going to stall so it fuels the engine more,

What do you mean by that?

RB 182
I've had my 172 for a couple of months now, and the lowest ive ever seen it showing was 30.4mpg, and thats after driving it like I stole it. Town driving I see easily 35mpg, and on a steady motorway run 40+...

Change the lambda like everyone else has said.

clio 182
Am in the same boat. Petrol light comes on n work out mpg n it's 27.8 on last tank, 237 miles n petrol light came on at 8.7 gallons used... 11 gallon tank in a 182? This normal? (town driving) Had a decat n got 280 before petrol light came on motorway n town) had a cat fitted 280 miles on a tank again both motorway n town driving. Had new sparkies n one lambda sensor.

Any ideas?

Clio 172 cup
full service, try some injector cleaner? Also have you considered that the dials might be wrong? run it dry untill it wont start, put a fiver in it and see how far you get. I like french cars but i dont really trust there computers. Oh yeah remember to have some more fuel in the boot to get back! drive normaly and you should get 35 miles away from where you started. Dan

clio 182
I reset dials everytime I fill up. Ok cheers think am gunna have to try that. It's doing my head in. One of the reasons I got this car over other is that it could get 34mpg n I have never got that. Even with motorway driving

RS Clio 182
just had mine on the diagnostics and iv got a knackered upstream lambda so im gunna replace it some time this week and ill let you know if my mpg improves

182 Full of Fat
I've given up on trying to save fuel. Put £50 in 3 days ago and just had to fill up again, had 16mpg after driving abit happy lmao Refitted all my exhaust and a new downpipe gasket to stop all the blowing and it made the mpg worse (confused).

Think I might change the lambda sensor see if it makes a difference. I'm not holding out any hope for it though, oh well.....

Barge
City driving, which is my 8 miles to work and back sees me usually at around 32/33mpg. On the motorway I'm lucky if it gets to about 37 sitting at 75/80ish. Only once have I see 40mpg on the motorway, think I was doing about 65, LOL!

I don't expect amazing MPG with the journies I do. They're barely long enough for the car to warm up before it gets turned off again.

Clio 172 cup
I reset dials everytime I fill up. Ok cheers think am gunna have to try that. It's doing my head in. One of the reasons I got this car over other is that it could get 34mpg n I have never got that. Even with motorway driving

when i say fiver, i mean a gallon! wont get a gallon for a fiver nowa days! Yeah these cars are good for mpg. Unless you're driving fast, you should get at least 32 mpg imo. If i'm really really granny driving in my 172 cup and put in nuteral down hills etc i've got mine up to 43mpg. Motorways im not too sure becuase i usually go fast down them but all ways above 30 any way. One more thing, take your throttle body off and give it a good clean with carb cleaner....

clio 182
i cant do that! lol how much would it cost sum1 to do that for me? since i am not machically minded one bit..

just put some fuel cleaner/injector clearer in it today, any know if these help? says it does help with mpg?

Evo 8 MR
Mine was returning 18mpg last week, I was putting fuel in every other day, if I dared to open it up the tank would be empty in seconds, it was down on power too.

I knew what the problem was though, it was a blow on the weld just before the cat, I could tell when I started it up from cold there was visible fumes coming out of it.

Got a decat and had it fitted, it's now returning 33mpg and pulls stronger than ever.

clio 182
honestly its really easy. 4 bolts. I'm useless with mechanics and I did it. It's next in line to the airbox. It's pointed out in the arrows in this link.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/clio-172-thro...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item35a755ee7a

time will tell with the injector cleaner and fuel additive i guess....

cheers ill have a look but i am truely usless with mechanics

Mine was returning 18mpg last week, I was putting fuel in every other day, if I dared to open it up the tank would be empty in seconds, it was down on power too.

I knew what the problem was though, it was a blow on the weld just before the cat, I could tell when I started it up from cold there was visible fumes coming out of it.

Got a decat and had it fitted, it's now returning 33mpg and pulls stronger than ever.

i know its not that, coz ive recently had a sports cat fitted to get rid of my decat so i know nowt blowing from the exhaust... think i might have to get a friendly mechanic to give the car a once over...

Renault Clio 182
I thought that kind of mileage was normal. Mine returns 26.3 mpg lol. I only drive in town though.. May have to look into this deeper now this has been brought to my attention.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
i do 40 motorway miles every day with the occasional heavy right foot to get the exhaust popping - currently sat at 40.2mpg - which is good for almost 400 miles and a £50 fill up.

If you are getting less than 30 mpg somethings definately not right or you need to learn to drive more economically.

ClioSport 172
I have a 172 and I would say drive about resetting your Mpg avg clock frequently to try and learn how to drive efficiently. It really helped me as now in slow towen traffic i can get 35+ after learning with an instant mpg clock on my ma's car.

I drive 75 miles a day and now the weather has improved, and got warmer (yes this does make it more fuel efficient!) i have picture proof of 51.4mpg over 2 days commute, ok it is mainly motorway but i still think it is pretty good. IT CAN BE DONE, but i do look like a tool at 55-60 on motorways in the sporty mota. but this means all i save can be used for guilt free blatting at weekends!!!

Clio Sport 182
yeah i think you will mate. Did you give the gallon fuel run a go?

I wouldn't suggest runnning your car out of fuel or anywhere near that low!
All the cr*p in the bottom of your tank will be sucked up and could partially block your injectors.

i do look like a tool at 55-60 on motorways in the sporty mota. but this means all i save can be used for guilt free blatting at weekends!!!

Its all well and good to see what mpg you can get out of your car (I do it too), but personally i feel if you are doing 55 on a motorway that is just plain dangerous.

In my new 182, without being used to the car, on my first journey of 45ish miles of mixed driving, i got 42.6mpg.

Also people should not assume their trip computer reads the correct mpg.
Although they are generally quite close, it is always best to fill your car to the top and reset the mileage. Then when the tank is getting low fill it up again. Then put your mileage and litres into this formula.

Mileage covered / litres = miles per litre x 4.54 = Miles per gallon.
eg 350miles /45litres = 7.77 x 4.54 = 35.3 MPG :D

Never understood the people who manage to consistently get 40+ mpg.. on a motorway fair enough, but round town.. you might as well have bought a 1.2.

I drive my 172 what I would describe as 'normally' for the kind of person who would buy the car, and average is around 24-30, generally round town.

Yes, although possible to get high 30s or even 40 I would have got a diesel if I wanted to change gears at 1800 revs and never enjoy WOT.

What I go by: take your car on a motorway run and reset the trip just before you leave, to see if it is running smoothly and actually able to achieve the MPG figures it is meant to, and then drive around as normal and forget how high your MPG 'should' be, knowing its just your driving style.

Lou

I remember the time I got this on a 80mile drive home through the countryside!
Was driving between 60-80mph all the way home!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 18
  Clio Sport 182
Never understood the people who manage to consistently get 40+ mpg.. on a motorway fair enough, but round town.. you might as well have bought a 1.2.

I drive my 172 what I would describe as 'normally' for the kind of person who would buy the car, and average is around 24-30, generally round town.

Yes, although possible to get high 30s or even 40 I would have got a diesel if I wanted to change gears at 1800 revs and never enjoy WOT.

What I go by: take your car on a motorway run and reset the trip just before you leave, to see if it is running smoothly and actually able to achieve the MPG figures it is meant to, and then drive around as normal and forget how high your MPG 'should' be, knowing its just your driving style.

I completely agree there is no point driving like that all the time if you've splasdked out on this sort of car.
As i said in mine i have only driven the car from where i bought it to home, so i was being carefull.
But on the otherhand i don't see the point in driving through town at 3.5k-4k just so people can hear my exhaust. LOL

I agree with enthusiastic driving don't get me wrong, but there are also times like, when commuting to work that it is 'just a car' and you may as well drive economically to save your fuel for those fun blasts on evenings and weekends! :)

Clio Sport 182
Oh yeah, you can still drive quick and have fun, economically.
You don't have to be flat out to go quick.
Oh yeah, remember every time you brake you've wasted fuel lol.
A lot of driving quick and still getting good mpg is about anticipating stuff at junctions, traffic lights roundabouts etc.
Plus it makes for a smoother ride as a passenger if you back off earlier at traffic lights and keep your speed for when they turn green.
:)

ClioSport 172
Its all well and good to see what mpg you can get out of your car (I do it too), but personally i feel if you are doing 55 on a motorway that is just plain dangerous.

Dont be a fool. It's truck speed. Also I'm not the t*at who sits in middle lanes doing that speed and I'm also not the t*at who sits in an overtaking lane when not overtaking. Good advice on the anticipation, lifting off in gear if coming to a stop/obstacle also uses less (no)fuel than out of gear tickover in modern cars.

I fully agree with Lewb. If people aren't gonna use there car for as it was design, its a complete waist. Ideally I would have a commuter vehicle but I just couldnt do without the joy of the clizzle for the weekends;)