ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Poor xenons.....

RichieJA

SCAMMER !!!!
  clio 172
The light from my xenons I'd awful there worse than my old vr6 lights.
Are they all like this ???
My headlights do have some cloudyness on them but its not severe would this make them so poor ?
Could it be cheap or old bulbs causing it ?
I noticed my load sensor leg has broke off axle would this affect it ?
Maybe a combination of al of the above ?.
I spent the full of today replacing an abs sensor taking car apart to change washer motor and fixing the c**k up of the "induction kit "that had been fitted don't fancy spending tomorrow fixing all of light issues if i can help it any ideas
Thanks.

RB 182 FF
They are all poor I'm afraid! Best thing is to check what bulbs are in there and if poor then upgrade to the best bulbs you can afford.....philips, osram etc.... I got some Morimoto's from america which I'm happy with and cost a lot less than the Philips and osrams, I also installed a cheap Chinese hid kit to my fogs for night driving, you get moaned at by the same old fog haters but it helps me see on dipped beam when theres oncoming traffic.....

RichieJA

SCAMMER !!!!
  clio 172
Only thing I don't like about the car so not to bad could you recommend a buld and what size etc it should be I know nothing about bulbs I quite fancy my fogs being nice and white like the main lights

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
@ the OP . You have a full fat 172 not a cup I'm assuming ? So do have factory fitted D2S HID's ? I've never had a problem with how much light comes from my Xenons on my old 172 or my 182 . After a while they can start to go a bit pink and sometimes won't start up the first time you put your lights on . Renault wanted about £90 a bulb so i opted for these replacements after a few people on here said they were good quality . I've been running them for almost 2 years now with no issues and still as bright as ever .
4300k are the standard bulb . I went for 5000k as it's a much whiter , crisper colour . If you start to go above 5000k the light becomes much more blue .
http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/d2s-35w-hid-xenon-bulb-set/
I also have these sidelights , they match the Xenons well .
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-ERROR...391386?hash=item5afd47b3da:g:rB4AAOSwT6pVzrLC

I would leave the foglights alone , they do the job adequately . I bet I've only used mine a dozen times or so in 10 years . You only need them when it's really foggy :wink:

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
you get moaned at by the same old fog haters but it helps me see on dipped beam when theres oncoming traffic.....

Just FYI... Everyone who drives towards you thinks you're a penis. Fact. OK, so you want to do that, on your head be it, but don't go giving other people bad, potentially dangerous, and definitely legally bad, advice.

OP;
There can be several reasons why your output is poor.
1. Poor bulbs - replacing your bulbs with better Osram, Phillips etc bulbs makes a big difference in a lot of cases.
2. Bad optics - clouded or hazed headlights are bad for seeing through so doing a restoration on the lens helps too. The projectors can go cloudy on the volvos but not sure on the clio units.
But most importantly;
3. You say the beam height adjuster's broken. You mean the one in the middle of the rear suspension beam? This can cause the headlights to aim high in the sky or right into the ground. Have a look at your aim and see if it's obviously out at all.

RichieJA

SCAMMER !!!!
  clio 172
@ the OP . You have a full fat 172 not a cup I'm assuming ? So do have factory fitted D2S HID's ? I've never had a problem with how much light comes from my Xenons on my old 172 or my 182 . After a while they can start to go a bit pink and sometimes won't start up the first time you put your lights on . Renault wanted about £90 a bulb so i opted for these replacements after a few people on here said they were good quality . I've been running them for almost 2 years now with no issues and still as bright as ever .
4300k are the standard bulb . I went for 5000k as it's a much whiter , crisper colour . If you start to go above 5000k the light becomes much more blue .
I also have these sidelights , they match the Xenons well .
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-ERROR...391386?hash=item5afd47b3da:g:rB4AAOSwT6pVzrLC

I would leave the foglights alone , they do the job adequately . I bet I've only used mine a dozen times or so in 10 years . You only need them when it's really foggy :wink:
Yeah it's not the cup got abs cruise etc
They light up fine and look nice and new inside I'll grab a set of they bulbs and try the toothpaste trick failing that I'll get the local garage to tidy them up seen a few cars he done and the lights look brand new, thanks

RichieJA

SCAMMER !!!!
  clio 172
Just FYI... Everyone who drives towards you thinks you're a penis. Fact. OK, so you want to do that, on your head be it, but don't go giving other people bad, potentially dangerous, and definitely legally bad, advice.

OP;
There can be several reasons why your output is poor.
1. Poor bulbs - replacing your bulbs with better Osram, Phillips etc bulbs makes a big difference in a lot of cases.
2. Bad optics - clouded or hazed headlights are bad for seeing through so doing a restoration on the lens helps too. The projectors can go cloudy on the volvos but not sure on the clio units.
But most importantly;
3. You say the beam height adjuster's broken. You mean the one in the middle of the rear suspension beam? This can cause the headlights to aim high in the sky or right into the ground. Have a look at your aim and see if it's obviously out at all.
Gonna get the above mentioned bulbs and get them cleaned up, yeah thing on the axle its just the wee clip that's broke I'm sure some glue or a cable tie will fix it, ii think they maybe pointing a bit low I'll investigate and fix that tomorrow let everyone know how I get on.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
They are all poor I'm afraid! Best thing is to check what bulbs are in there and if poor then upgrade to the best bulbs you can afford.....philips, osram etc.... I got some Morimoto's from america which I'm happy with and cost a lot less than the Philips and osrams, I also installed a cheap Chinese hid kit to my fogs for night driving, you get moaned at by the same old fog haters but it helps me see on dipped beam when theres oncoming traffic.....
If you need your foglights to assist you seeing in the dark with your Xenons then you clearly have a problem with your bulbs .

RB 182 FF
Mcgherkin I didn't advise him to get hid fogs, I stated it helps me because the hids are so crap...... thanks for getting offensive anyway.... Richie bulb fitment is d2s, don't buy cheap if you want to improve the output, also it's a bumper off job to change them unless you have nimble hands, I wrote a guide how to do it without taking the bumper off, if it interests you then the search should find the guide....:up:

RichieJA

SCAMMER !!!!
  clio 172
Mcgherkin I didn't advise him to get hid fogs, I stated it helps me because the hids are so crap...... thanks for getting offensive anyway.... Richie bulb fitment is d2s, don't buy cheap if you want to improve the output, also it's a bumper off job to change them unless you have nimble hands, I wrote a guide how to do it without taking the bumper off, if it interests you then the search should find the guide....:up:
Thanks I'll search for it , my hands are huge and ape like so it will be bumper off lol

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
No I don't.....I've tried many bulbs, they're all poor compared to good hid setups on othe cars.....[/QUOT

I wasn't having a go at you . Just saying you shouldn't need your foglights to assist you if your bulbs are fine . Have you tried the ones I posted a link to ? I've been running the 5000k ones for almost 2 years now and I actually believe they are better , a much crisper and brighter light than the oem 4300k bulbs .
When I got my first 172 , back in 2001 there wasn't that many cars on the road running HID's and I was constantly getting flashed because they must have thought I had my full beam on.

RB 182 FF
It wasn't an arsey reply mrbilly I was just saying my hids are fine they are just s**t on the 1*2's.... I've got morimoto xb35's in mine which are almost equal to osram cbi's which are crazy money so mine are a good equivalent....:up:

RB 182 FF
Mcgherkin FYI the new porsche, bmw and audio setups are f**king blinding now, so don't just call me a penis for using my fogs. A brand new 911 came towards me the other night and I was absolutely shocked how they get away with the new hid setups, it was absolutely ridiculous, i presume its 55watt setups as standard, my friend with me also agreed it was ridiculous and as a result we did a test with my setup including fogs coming head on and he said I was considerably less dazzling than that 911..... so my thoughts are if it's good enough for the rich folk who can afford a porsche 911 it's good enough for me in my 2500 quid 182 with a 25 quid cheap Chinese hid kit..... And am i supposed to take someone seriously called 'Mcgherkin' from 'Ply-muff'.........please....! End of conversation.......

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
if it's good enough for the rich folk who can afford a porsche 911 it's good enough for me in my 2500 quid 182 with a 25 quid cheap Chinese hid kit

I'm going to bow out here because this statement sums up the utter ridiculousness of your argument nicely. I was followed by a 1*2 with HID fogs the other day, and it was blinding me through my mirrors.

Lol at name warz. Because 'VR46-G@Z' sounds so much more sensible.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Come on guys . Lets not veer away from the Op's original question . It happens all too often on CS and " can " spoil what is generally a good forum with lots of useful information " and " opinions .