ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Popped my cherry!

Boxster S

After much wondering Ive popped my cherry and put the Clio on the track. Had an afternoon at Brands on a novices day as a birthday present from the lady. Ive put up some pictures, and Ill post more and some video once Ive got it sorted.

Enjoy

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b296/theboyfold/Corner1.jpg
The Porker really didnt have much of a chance against the Clio in the twisties!

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b296/theboyfold/Corner3.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b296/theboyfold/corner2.jpg

[Edited by Penfold1977 on 25 August 2005 at 10:31pm]

Chocolate Bar™

looks like fun :)

would you consider going to one again? do you have to use your own car, or do they have some there you can use?

Boxster S

Quote: Originally posted by Middo on 25 August 2005

looks like fun :)

would you consider going to one again? do you have to use your own car, or do they have some there you can use?
It was my own car, you can do days where you get to drive different cars, but I really wanted to see what mine could do on the track.

Loved it, really want to go again, hopefully going to book Donnington in October if I can afford it.

Renaultsport 220T

Great pics, Brands is so well suited to the clios. How many cars were there at this event, just wondering as I did the last novice day and they overbooked it. Anyone turn up with slicks? :)

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy

how much is a novice day and how much lap time do you get?

pics look coolio by the way!

Nik

ClioSport Admin
  Clio Trophy #355

Good to see it had dried out a bit! Sounds like you enjoyed it :)

Boxster S

Quote: Originally posted by 182WRC on 25 August 2005

Great pics, Brands is so well suited to the clios. How many cars were there at this event, just wondering as I did the last novice day and they overbooked it. Anyone turn up with slicks? :)
Nope nobody on slicks, but there was a Noble, the guy in the M3 had a fireproof suit, also was a Carrera GT, 911 GT3RS, couple of Chimeras and a Golf Tdi!!

They asked us in the briefing if anybody had been on a track before and most people said yes, so Im not sure how novice it was. I just tended to let the quickest cars past on the straights and had a quiet section of track for a while.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS

Looks good mate, wouldnt say brands is one of my favourite tracks, but a challenge if anything.

Boxster S

Quote: Originally posted by seb182 on 25 August 2005

how much is a novice day and how much lap time do you get?

pics look coolio by the way!
The day cost £99, the track was open pit lane for 4 hours and I had about 1hour 45 mins out on the track which was enough. Also paid the £25 for half an hour with an instructor in the car which was really useful.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS

what was the instructors name? yeh its always good, to get a bit of help, show you the lines and breaking points, but ideally its lap after lap which makes you into a good race driver.

Boxster S

It was a girl called Kelly. Thought it was useful, just to try and get into good habits and get quicker as the day goes on.

Really enjoyed Brands, nice and short so you dont have too much to learn in one day!! :oops: The corner after the start finish straight it great

172, Tiguan

Well youve got to have some talent in the first place. Ive been in cars with people in the past who have done hundreds of laps and theyre nothing short of dire.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS

^ true, but tracktime is the key, i missed a lot of it this yr and not only did it show, but we spent more time off the track than on it. Id love to come to a trackday, mayb outon, thats closest for me.

Paddock hill bend is not for the faint hearted, We were going through there at about 100, flat in 5th or a comfort lift in 6th. We didnt hav the best setup that day so we were in 5th.

Not sure who took you round, if it proved useful to you then its 25 squid well spent.

Boxster S

Quote: Originally posted by AJRMOTORSPORT on 26 August 2005

Paddock hill bend is not for the faint hearted, We were going through there at about 100, flat in 5th or a comfort lift in 6th. We didnt hav the best setup that day so we were in 5th.
Tell me about it, lifted off mid corner once, never again! Car got all wobbly and the gravel got a whole lot closer!! Cant say I was doing 100 though...

Weeman sucks ****

^^ I was gonna say something similar, remember mine through paddock jon, with those well used contis lmao.

[Edited by CHRIS172CUP on 8/26/2005 9:55:19 AM]

Boxster S

I was thinking that, I was touching about 100/110 at the end of the straight and really wouldnt have fancied going through there flat out!!

What were you driving mate?

172, Tiguan

Quote: Originally posted by CHRIS172CUP on 26 August 2005
^^ I was gonna say something similar, remember mine through paddock jon, with those well used contis lmao.

[Edited by CHRIS172CUP on 8/26/2005 9:55:19 AM]

lol! I think there was more grip through there in the pouring rain on Wednesday evening!

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS

Quote: Originally posted by Penfold1977 on 26 August 2005

I was thinking that, I was touching about 100/110 at the end of the straight and really wouldnt have fancied going through there flat out!!

What were you driving mate?
Superkarts, 6mm off the ground, 125cc, think our lap times were 41s or about that?! Having said that we were only doing 115-120 down the staight.

Renaultsport 220T

The lap record is 38.03 seconds in a Benetton F1 car. And the record for bikes is only 45.974 seconds!

Maybe it was about that?

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS

Were on average 2-3 sec quicker than the bikes... 5-6 sec quicker than the 360 challenge. ill find out for sure. Pretty sure im about rite. mind its a small track and were very light at 170kg.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS

so true, but youd be surprised at how fast the karts were in the wet, we had something like 88% downforse, so in the pissing rain we were only about 6-7sec slower a lap!!!

Renaultsport 220T

I surprised myself, how fast I was going in the clio in the wet the other night! Simply amazing amounts of grip.

:)

Penfold were you there about 5 yesterday for when Porsche turned up? My mate was there with the gun metal grey 911 Turbo did you see it?

He was telling me about a Clio 182 and Cup on the track day

Boxster S

Yeah, I was there at 5, our session had just finished then. Was he the one in the picture on the first page? There were loads of Porsches in the car park as I left

Quote: Originally posted by 182WRC on 26 August 2005

I surprised myself, how fast I was going in the clio in the wet the other night! Simply amazing amounts of grip.

:)
Cant agree more. Everyone I spoke to said the same thing - the 182 has so much grip in the wet.

After a few laps getting use to the conditions I found myself driving not much different to how I did at the trackday in May - which was brilliant sunshine! Very impressive car.

Boxster S

Nice car, not that Im a fan or Porsches though. The Carrera GT was there, got loads of pics, as well as an GT3RS, they were seriously quick.