ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Popping out of gear under hard braking on track

Phase 2 172 RS
A few weeks ago I had an issue with my PH2 172, where I couldn’t down-shift into 3rd gear on the Nurbürgring during hard braking (despite heel-toe/ matching revs). I also had some knocking at some parts of the track (like the Karussell & Breidscheid), which I assume was due to me not “pulling” the engine enough while installing a new engine mount. What I had done before this session was:

1) Installed new OEM top-engine mount (Kangoo one with a bit more beef)
2) Installed new OEM Upper gearbox mount
3) Installed PhillipeM uprated dogbone
4) Changed gearbox fluid (Redline MT90)

After this experience, I decided to get some solid top-engine and upper-gearbox mounts to replace the OEM OEMs to address the knocking (Evol-Engineering ones - fantastic and without a significant increase in NVH after some mileage on them!).

During the installation, I noticed the central shaft from the spider that the upper gearbox mount slots through was loose, so I tried to tighten it up best I could, then installed the Evol mount.

I was back at the track yesterday, and the knocking and trouble downshifting to 3rd have been resolved, BUT, during very hard braking (ABS-threshold) the car now sometimes “jumps” out of 3rd into neutral, which is something I really don’t want to experience at the Ring. There are no other issues that I am experiencing with the gearbox - all gears slot-in cleanly, no crunching, tight linkage (the car is at 180k km/ 110k miles).

Does anyone any ideas? Could it be the upper gearbox mount shaft has come loose again as maybe I didn’t tighten it enough? Should I try to “pull” the engine forward away from the firewall even with the new solid top engine mount? Or is it a sign my gearbox is on its last legs…?

Attachments

• 47DA9156-2153-48B4-B7F4-41E0953FD7C8.jpeg
    47DA9156-2153-48B4-B7F4-41E0953FD7C8.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 101
  • 27FC68B7-9921-482A-981E-948B356A106D.jpeg
    27FC68B7-9921-482A-981E-948B356A106D.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 88
  03 clio sport asc
Bump I have the same issue since fitting the PMS shifter, Any help guys? Mine jumps out of 2nd but only on the most lethal late braking / weight transfer around one corner at my local track, impossible to replicate on the street!

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
I've had the same and that's with vibratechnic uprated engine and gearbox mounts plus powerflex dogbone mount.

No idea why it happens, maybe too stiff at a guess 🤔

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Bump I have the same issue since fitting the PMS shifter, Any help guys? Mine jumps out of 2nd but only on the most lethal late braking / weight transfer around one corner at my local track, impossible to replicate on the street!
Not filled the rod with sand/lead have you?

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
I made a solid stainless wishbone ( no bushes ) for the hillclimb car and that sorted it, but don't use it on the road as the vibrations in the cabin were mental.

Sanj16

ClioSport Club Member
  182, mk1 valver
Mine used to fall out of gear coming on to the Bentley straight at Snetterton just lifting through the corner before, turned out to be worn synchro in 3rd..

03 clio sport asc
Mine used to fall out of gear coming on to the Bentley straight at Snetterton just lifting through the corner before, turned out to be worn synchro in 3rd..
running a rebuilt gearbox and was fine with the oem shifter. hope thats not the issue!