ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Porsche 997 Carrera S - Basalt Black

Audi A4 AVANT 1.9TDi
Just a little one from me tonight.. some recent work on a Basalt Black 997 Porsche.

PS, following JD's recent post RE GTechniq's kit, I have ordered a few bits myself :approve: :evil: (Will do my best to include them in my documentation in the near future)

Porsche 997 Carrera S – Minor Correction

Although already very clean, the owner wanted the 997 putting through a mild polishing process to remove a ‘haze’ that’d be caused by light swirls and some wash marring.

Shortly before buying the car some 15 months back now, the 997 was put through a similar detailing process to prep it in readiness for its sale. Being thrilled with the results then, it was up to me to match (or even better!) the results this time round.

Product

· 3M Glass Cleaner
· AutoSmart G101
· AutoSmart Tardis
· Autosol
· Blackfire Wet Diamond – All Paint Protection
· Chemical Guys JetSEAL109
· Dodo Juice Born To Be Mild
· Elite Car Care’s Mild Grade clay bar
· Jeffs Werkstat Prime
· Meguiars Wheel Brightener
· Meguiars Super Degreaser
· Meguiars Last Touch
· Menzerna Power Finish 203s
· Menzerna Final Finish 106FA

Inspection…

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

‘Clean’, just grubby on the edges. Again, this is a very well looked after car.

Wash process: Wheels, Arches, Tyres, Sills, Badges & Crevices, Rinse, Snowfoam, Rinse, Snowfoam, Two-Bucket Wash and clay bar…

This was about the worst contamination I could find!

DSC_0008.jpg

Also noting through the wash stages how well the bodywork was protected..

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

Once dried down and inside , the sun made appearance (typical) and a rough idea of the overall defects were spotted on the O/S front corner:

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg

Although only 4 years old, throughout, there were some pretty low paint thickness readings. Averaging ~90/95um. Lowest reading spotted was 76um.

DSC_0017.jpg
DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg

Highest number spotted 121um on the bonnet:

DSC_0021.jpg

With these low readings in mind, I was pleased I was only there to perform a single pass with a mild polishing approach as otherwise we’d be pushing our limits somewhat with the already thin paint!

Pads and polish used for the correctional work: 3M yellow polishing pads (both the 150mm and the smaller spot pad), a white Hexlogic polishing spot pad, Menzerna 203s for some tough areas and Menzerna 106FA for the majority.

Starting with some of the smaller spot pad work at the back and I’m not getting on too well.. Switch pads, try another polish combo… “Nope, something strange going on”. Polish isn’t breaking down well, a few new vibrations/jumps on the rotary and generally not having much luck. Come the time to switch pads again though I noticed:

DSC_0024.jpg

My Gloss-It backing plate had split. This could have been a potential disaster had I not spotted it sooner rather than later. Bummer!!

So, in switching backing plates I was able to crack on and complete the N/S rear quarter:

DSC_0028.jpg

Stepping up to the 3M 150mm polishing pad for some of the larger areas like the roof.

Before:

DSC_0033.jpg

After:

DSC_0032.jpg

And a few more ‘befores’ spotted on the N/S panels that when in the sun, were showing swirling and ‘movement’ within the paint.

DSC_0029.jpg

DSC_0030.jpg

Leading edge of the bonnet complete and haze free:

DSC_0036.jpg

Tricky area this, switching down to the small 3M polishing pad, I carefully machined the vents on the engine cover to the rear: (it didn’t help that my ‘oh-so beloved’ Gloss-It backing plate had broke either!)

DSC_0040.jpg

Before and After: (much better)

DSC_0043.jpg

DSC_0042.jpg

Some light scratches taken out of the tailgate itself:

DSC_0045.jpg

DSC_0047.jpg

DSC_0050.jpg

And moving on to the rear clusters with 3M yellow spot pad and Menzerna Power Finish 203s:

DSC_0053.jpg

Before:

DSC_0051.jpg

DSC_0052.jpg

After:

DSC_0054.jpg

DSC_0056.jpg

DSC_0057.jpg

Front nose before/after:

DSC_0059.jpg
DSC_0062.jpg

With the machine work complete, the 997 was popped outside for a quick rinse and then blown dry with the Black Baron Vehicle Dryer. At this point, an executive decision was made; we agreed that I’d re-visit first thing in the morning as there was lots of moisture in the air and the jobs which I had left to do would only be affected by this and I’d only grumble as I began to struggle!

DSC_0068.jpg

Rise and shine, back to it first thing and I start with an IPA wipedown.

Exhausts cleaned up with Autosol:

Before/After:

DSC_0072.jpg

DSC_0075.jpg

Before/After:

DSC_0073.jpg

DSC_0074.jpg

Along with the alloy wheels, the calipers were protected with JetSEAL109.

DSC_0078.jpg

DSC_0087.jpg

Some toothpickery work:

DSC_0080.jpg
DSC_0082.jpg

BlackFire’s All Paint Protection system was laid down and in the meantime, I did the glass with 3M’s Glass Cleaner. Sealant residues removed, one or two final touches and we’re there.

DSC_0084.jpg

DSC_0085.jpg
DSC_0086.jpg

DSC_0090.jpg

DSC_0091.jpg

DSC_0092.jpg
DSC_0093.jpg

DSC_0094.jpg

DSC_0097.jpg
DSC_0098.jpg

DSC_0101.jpg
DSC_0099.jpg

DSC_0102.jpg

DSC_0103.jpg

DSC_0105.jpg

DSC_0086.jpg
DSC_0106.jpg

And with the Brinkman torch:

DSC_0108.jpg

DSC_0110.jpg
DSC_0111.jpg

DSC_0095.jpg

The true finish will be revealed once the car first rolls into direct sunlight.

Thanks for reading..

Jim.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I love your threads (but you know this...)

But I keep meaning to ask you, who takes the pictures when your working? :S

Audi A4 AVANT 1.9TDi
Cheers Dan.

I'm afraid to say I'm a loner and all the pics where I'm working are taken via a tripod and a timer! lol :cool:

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Ha!! I bet they think you're a right wierdo!

On a side note, when i'm at work and i'm cleaning a really shitty interior of a really mundane car, i think back to your citroen C3 thread and it spurs me on.

So cheers for that! lol.

172 money pit
Another top job Jim,

Great to see these posts. Why do you think the paint was so thin? Has it seen a lot of polishing, or do you think it was like that out of the factory?

Chris

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Fantastic Jim! My boss just invested some more of his hard earned into a 997 Turbo gen 2 in Red, looking forward to getting my hands on it.

How do you find the yellow 3m and 203' works? I'm not really a Menz user. Something worth trying?

Dusty? Dry? Ect...

Lovely Jim, glad you spotted the backing plate issue! Had a friend MMS me last night with a picture of a disaster waiting to happen, very similar to your photo!

re the C4, it really is a wonderful product. I am (secretly) hoping my photo wins the competition as I am very up for buying/testing and using more of their products.

Fantastic Jim! My boss just invested some more of his hard earned into a 997 Turbo gen 2 in Red, looking forward to getting my hands on it.

How do you find the yellow 3m and 203' works? I'm not really a Menz user. Something worth trying?

Dusty? Dry? Ect...

Kev, re your email, I find the 3M vs 203s very easy to use. Similarly to 3.02 IP with the Menz Orange pads. I haven't found a decent working polish that doesn't dust, but these are certainly not on the SRP dust levels - far from it!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Ha! SRP! :eek:

Cheers mate I fancied trying 203s as I feel when I do get the time to do a small correction extrafine (yellow top) just doesn't quite give me that cut required.

Also just fancied trying some 203s due to the decnt reviews given and how much it's used. :)

On the Panzer family, I swear by it for mid range correction and, as Jim has done, haze removal. For larger defects, 3.02 IP is my next stop, on the same pad or a higher cut pad.

Also to note, they are not oily like the Megs 80/83 twins that I started out with on the French mobile.