ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Porter Cable - worth keeping?

3 MPS, MX5
I've had a Porter Cable polisher for about 5 years now and used it only twice in that time. 2 reasons, 1, I've gotten lazier over the years and 2, the fact that I have to get the transformer out etc, but I want to start making more of an effort again.

I'm not a detailer like some of you lot so wouldn't want a professional machine but do like to keep the cars looking good and was thinking of getting rid of the Porter Cable and getting a Meguiar's polisher. Is it worth it? is the Meguiar's easy to use and will it give half decent results?

Megane R26
If you get the V2 G220, then its a fair bit torquier than the original PC7424's, so easier to get decent results with, plus you won't have to lug that transformer around :)

Tbh though, the DAS-6 Pro from CYC, which is about £100 or so, is as good as the G220v2, so I'd personally go for that...

Russ

As Russ says, the PC is old now and there are better machines out there.

However, I still have mine from at least 7 years ago and see no reason to upgrade for the moment, purely due to the lack of use it gets (finishing down the VAG family fleet when I get around to doing them!).

If you can afford to, do it.

3 MPS, MX5
Cheers for the advice, I'll have a look into the other models and probably just stock the Porter Cable on Ebay at some point when I can sort everything out that it came with.

I've had a quick look at DAS-6 Pro, is this a low risk machine? I mean as I've haven't used polishers often I'm not likely to take too much off like I understand more professional polishers can if you don't know what you are doing.