ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Possible ECU Break Help Please :(

Ok, so just to say firstly I love my car and treat her like a princess by buying gizmos, and generally being OCD with it. I'm mortified that this has happened and am genuinely worried.

Anyway, I bought one of those ECU OBD-II readers off ebay, you know the ones for android phones/laptops that use bluetooth to connect, the ad assured me it would work but nonetheless it didn't. Must've been a cheap knockoff at £15.

So I was in the car today just trying to make it work, It was plugged into the ecu, engine was on. Everything was working (bar the OBDII reader).

I was trying to get it to work on my phone by playing around with the connectivity, apparently it wasn't even talking to the ECU but the lights on the adapter said the ECU was powering it. The phone was connected to the adapter through pairing but that was it, the adapter wasn't apparently connected to the ECU according to Torque.

Anyway, my phone died from battery issues, I took the adapter out of the ECU socket and then switched the car off.

Now the car has a multitude of problems and won't start, there's that many that I made a list of things that don't work.

• Wipers won't work
  • Central Locking won't work
  • Interior lights won't work
  • Exterior lights won't work
  • Windows won't work
  • Hazard Button won't work
  • ECU doesn't appear to have power (I put the Bluetooth adapter into the ECU socket and no lights are appearing on it. They were before.)
  • Fuses appear to be intact, haven't checked relays
  • When ignition is on, you see the serv light flash for around 10 seconds, the stop light stays on, the battery light stays on.
  • The battery is fine and is not flat, alternator appears to be ok.
  • Immobiliser appears to not work either (no red light at all)

Then there are some other weird things that do work

• Stereo and speakers work
  • AirCon works
  • Heater works
  • Dash Lights work
  • Horn works

I have no idea what the hell happened, I don't think any wires have been severed, but judging by this thread, that seems like the most likely thing.

Does anyone have any advice, anything at all, I'm quite distressed over this.

Summary
○ Bought OBDII reader and used
○ Phone died whilst in use but wasn't connected to ECU
○ Car won't start or attempt to turn over, serv (flash for 10 seconds), battery and stop lights come on.

Last edited:

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
It is possible that the anti-tamper mode has been activated but it normally takes a lot more than an EODBII dongle to trigger this. Open the bonet > passenger side inner wing area > big black plastic box that isn't the air filter... open it > Inside you will find x3 blade fuses; 5A, 15A, 30A > Check these are intact.

Are you 100% certain that its not a battery/earth connection fault? If its not the fuses above then you're really going to need the skills of an auto electrician but on the plus side, I don't think you've blown the ECM as most of the items you describe as not working are UCH controlled and have nothing to do with the ECM... sounds like a basic and coincidental power distribution fault at the minute

Mick

Problem's fixed now, thanks for the help guys, sorry for making a scene. Turns out the ECU is fine. On the third check of the fuses the 5 Amp one turns out to have one of the smallest and tidiest breaks I've ever seen, didn't notice it the first time and the other person I asked to double check never noticed it either.

Moral of the story, check fuses three times :D lol.

Thanks again guys.