ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Possible Pothole Damage

1.6 Ford Focus
I hit what must have been a huge pothole on the way home from work which has actually quite worried me...

I was driving as normal and I heard a massive bang/pop from the rear which my immediate thought was one of the rear speakers had gone pop as I thought I could smell something. I checked out the speakers as I got back and they all seamed to be working fine.

Which is where I am now worried... I checked the car over quickly around the wheel arches and body work and everything seams fine, even the tires have no visible damage.

Im confused as to what caused the bang now... worst case scenario that my dad said is that one of the springs could have broke where I hit the pothole but im hoping it was just the shovel in the boot hitting the old spoiler that I left in there...

Probably early to post this as its too dark to go out and check the springs so has anyone got any ideas of what could cause it? Anywhere I should check in particular?

Evo 8 MR
I'd check the wheel tbh, could be dented or even buckled, I doubt it though, I get a loud bang whenever I go over a crisp packet, no damage though.

1.6 Ford Focus
Will check that in the morning.

The more I think about this one the more confusing it gets... the bang came from the rear right hand side yet the pot hole was on the left hand side of the lane so would have hit the left side wheels...

RS Clio 172 Cup
Make sure you check out the rear of the wheel for buckling/dented. Hit pothole before, looked on front of alloy and thought it was fine, then next morning, tyre was flat because the wheel was buckled from behind.

1.6 Ford Focus
Make sure you check out the rear of the wheel for buckling/dented. Hit pothole before, looked on front of alloy and thought it was fine, then next morning, tyre was flat because the wheel was buckled from behind.

Ouch... and that's on alloys? I have steels on at the moment...

clio 172
if its damaged coz of a pot hole and the hole is more than 6cm deap take pic with tape measure and proof from garage what needs to be done and get hold of the council they'll pay out. thats if its not the shovel in the boot lol

Will check that in the morning.

The more I think about this one the more confusing it gets... the bang came from the rear right hand side yet the pot hole was on the left hand side of the lane so would have hit the left side wheels...

Depending on your particular cars setup, and how deep the pothole was, it's possible it was the exhaust catching on the road, or maybe a hard bit of snow that you didn't see? they make loud noises if they are compact enough and can take a hit from a car without braking.

1.6 Ford Focus
I checked the wheels and they seam find, I also had a quick look at the rear springs as well and I can't find any obvious damage.

if its damaged coz of a pot hole and the hole is more than 6cm deap take pic with tape measure and proof from garage what needs to be done and get hold of the council they'll pay out. thats if its not the shovel in the boot lol

I was thinking that actually.

Depending on your particular cars setup, and how deep the pothole was, it's possible it was the exhaust catching on the road, or maybe a hard bit of snow that you didn't see? they make loud noises if they are compact enough and can take a hit from a car without braking.

Suspension and wheels on my car are all standard and like everything else I have checked there's no visible damage. I think I will wait a few days and see if any other problems come up but at the moment I am totally confused at what caused it.

One thing I have noticed though is the passenger door rattles like crazy when I turn the music up now...

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
i went over a pothole in my golf last week. actualy thought the strut went through the bonner it sounded that bad, got it to work no damage, not even a buckled wheel and my wheels are 225/40/18s.