ClioSport.net

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

  • When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Possible rear shocker failure?

ex-Chinese Dave

ClioSport Club Member
Car  172 Cup
I hear every noise on my car and always suspect that something is starting to go on its way out. Here is the latest…

I noticed recently that I could hear a noise from the passenger side rear area when going over certain bumps in the road at certain speeds, usually below 15 mph . It sounds a little like the tailgate is open and you are hearing it knock up and down on the latch, or another way to describe it is like you have a large plastic container that is empty in the boot and it is bouncing around. The tailgate is totally secure, as is the bumper and all of a bits of trim at the rear of the car. Could this be the rear shock that has failed? I can’t see any obvious signs of any problem, but later I will Jack the car up and take the wheel off and have a closer inspection. Is there any way to check a shock while it’s on the car, such as any kind of measurements to be checked? The rear shocks are only about two years old and I guess that they have had less than 25,000 miles on them.
 
Not sure, but I believe they're known for failing quite quickly.

How's your ride? My car was always slightly moving left to right, needing constant corrections which turned out to be the rear shocks.

I believe I even still have a low mileage genuine set in the garage that I took off when I switched to coilovers.
 
Not sure, but I believe they're known for failing quite quickly.

How's your ride? My car was always slightly moving left to right, needing constant corrections which turned out to be the rear shocks.

I believe I even still have a low mileage genuine set in the garage that I took off when I switched to coilovers.
The ride feels fine but the noise is very slight. I only noticed it as it was different than before. I can drive over Asda's speed bumps slowly and there's nothing, but at the change of surface from tarmac to paving at 10mph it has me thinking there's an empty 25 litre plastic drum in the boot.

Probably jumping the gun a bit but what are your shocks worth?
 
I'll have to dig m out, see what they're like. Probably won't be until after the weekend but I'll give them a test and get back to you.
 
If it's rear shocks, does it feel like you're gonna die when you go round corners above 40mph?

My first 172 felt like it was gonna kill me when the rear shockers were fully dead
 
  • Like
Reactions: MLB
Back
Top